Welsh GT from a Guild Perspective

4thstringer

On 4/29/2019 at 4:07 PM, 4thstringer said:

It looks like Guild had a tough time of it at the Welsh GT.  Anyone wanna tell us about their games?  What worked and what didn't?

@Flippin' Wyrd Matt

(And I can't tag David Brown, because I don't know his name on here or if he is on here)

yeah it was a bit of a grind.

So I found that Guild are now struggling with the same issue we have had at the start of 2nd edition we lack movement ability's so getting around is  hard work. 

That being said i am not saying the faction is a no go just will require a lot of work to get going in some games. I have found its a uphill struggle against summoners.

Nellie works well in plant explosives - but requires extra beaters to make up for the no damage in her crew.

Perdita can kill things but a family crew is to resource intensive - need the fix that was suggested to family values.

Hoffman - i have not really played because he bored me a lot the first time i played but seems to have changed a lot since the play test ended but i would say his models are to many points.

Sonnia - Is a very good master mainly because she has the ability to summon to replenish losses has some solid minions that can beat and the fast spell casters helps run schemes. 

Bass - I am Sure @Clousseau can tell you more as i only played him for a bit but i think the hit to frontiersman hurt him and trappers and traps are just awful.

Dashal - On paper looks like he should be the best all round crew but his summoning is still a lot of work they struggle to kill, all through the play test they took damage away from this crew. weather the stats dropped or the damage track got changed. to be fair still a good master just you have to really focus on not getting pinned in your deployment zone with them. mounted guard help but u sacrifice killing power for movement and then they die... or worse you play a crew that gives out staggered and then all the movement they do have runs away lol 

Lucias - I think maybe the easiest master to play out of all of the masters he has card draw a solid beater and has movement in his crew. 

Lady J - I think is just like perdita a solid pick as a second master beater in your crew i am not so sold on the rest of the marshals but i have not tried her much as she is not my cup of tea. 

These are obviously my opinions from playing the faction over the last few months. i think they can be good but i think we have a rough few months ahead of the faction and its going to be hard ground to cover but you will deserve it if you make it. So good luck to my fellow guild players and i guess unless some tweaks are made at launch i will see you on the other side 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think Guild is perfectly playable and you can win with it but you need to go through the whole faction to get the best crew. 

I wonder how many times people took the Judge to their crews because this model is bonkers and works almost everywhere. 

I didn't see Sonnia played with 3 spellcasters and a pathfinder which seems to be super solid.

I'm also 90% sure Family Values will be tweaked in our favor because its the most complicated and meh crew mechanic that I saw in the game.

3 hours ago, trikk said:

I didn't see Sonnia played with 3 spellcasters and a pathfinder which seems to be super solid.

I haven't seen this list anywhere yet.  Heck, I haven't heard anyone say they like the sanctioned spellcasters yet, so I'm surprised to hear this one.

The "you need to go through the faction to find the best crew" should be true for all the factions, so it wouldn't explain our poor results.  We are still quite early in the meta, and unless the other factions have figured out a lot more than us (which I would doubt, we were one of the most active faction forums), it would seem more likely that either 1. Small sample size and this won't become the norm or 2. We managed to get ourselves nerfed down to the bad place again.  I tend to believe#1 because I think we are in a pretty good place, but feedback from the competitive experience is useful.

1 hour ago, 4thstringer said:

I haven't seen this list anywhere yet.  Heck, I haven't heard anyone say they like the sanctioned spellcasters yet, so I'm surprised to hear this one.

The "you need to go through the faction to find the best crew" should be true for all the factions, so it wouldn't explain our poor results.  We are still quite early in the meta, and unless the other factions have figured out a lot more than us (which I would doubt, we were one of the most active faction forums), it would seem more likely that either 1. Small sample size and this won't become the norm or 2. We managed to get ourselves nerfed down to the bad place again.  I tend to believe#1 because I think we are in a pretty good place, but feedback from the competitive experience is useful.

Spellcasters are probably one of the best 4SS models in the game. 

2 hours ago, 4thstringer said:

What am I missing in this spellcaster/pathfinder combo?

I get 4ss cost on spellcaster w/ chance at fast = great scheme runner, not sure the tie in with pathfinder specifically.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, trikk said:

Pathfinder gives Sonnia pushes. Spellcasters are just super good for 4SS

Gotcha, Combo was Sonnia w/ pathfinder for push. Was trying to tie the spellcaster to pathfinder and couldn't get there. 

They are great for there cost I do agree! 

11 minutes ago, trikk said:

Pathfinder gives Sonnia pushes. Spellcasters are just super good for 4SS

Are you paying 7 out of faction for a 2" once per turn push, that also keeps you from summoning a trap?  At that point why not just spend 10 and get the much better guardian?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, 4thstringer said:

Are you paying 7 out of faction for a 2" once per turn push, that also keeps you from summoning a trap?  At that point why not just spend 10 and get the much better guardian?

You get a push after initiative with Trailblazer so if you win init you can use Follow My Path, push Sonnia out and shoot 3 times.

Sometimes 2 2" pushes and then 2 extra ranged attacks to deal damage is better than 1 10" push and a model that isn't going to now threaten till about turn 3.

The Guardian is better if you are looking at how far you can get Sonnia, but its cost is that it isn't going to have another major effect for a turn or two. The Pathfinder can do lots of little moves, and is still able to have an effect of the board without having to just move.

1 hour ago, 4thstringer said:

Sanctioned Spellcaster.  Sorry about that

Sanctioned Spellcasters are just pretty good in general. They easily have 3 shots at Stat 4 with a blast and Burning. They aren't that easy to take down due to arcane shield and counterspell  and they have negation aura.