Nikodemus' minis 2019 (expect non-Wyrd)

Nikodemus

Finished some wannabe spec ops for my Bane crew, Batman game. "Bird & Mercenaries". Bird's the bald dude. I took a little extra time in polishing that chrome dome of his:D

pic4528924.jpg

My main gripe with this paintjob is the yellows. I rushed my yellow shading a bit and that meant it went on way too heavy. You can see this particularly well on the shoulders of the knife guy on the left. I also used a different wash on some of Bird's yellows, again due to time concerns. Not a fan of how it's different from the rest.

Overall though I'm very happy with this set. With BMG especially I've been trying to consistently push for more value contrast in my painting. I've done thirteen figures for it so far (including Scarecrow from previous post) and I'm surprised at how consistently satisfied I am with them. This style isn't a new thing to me per se, but it was a lot more sporadic in my Malifaux painting, and a somewhat late revelation in general.

I'm expecting to finish at least one more mini this month. It's for a painting challenge elsewhere and I'd like to try be a bit more "tryhard" with it. It's gonna get most of my attentions next week.

• Like 8

Mid-week impromptu speedpaint! Felt like it, so I did this guy. Took me 93 minutes, screw ups and all:D

pic4534647.jpg

pic4534648.jpg

One of the barbarians from Russian Alternative. They're from Russia. They make alternative minis for fantasy army games. Really neat figure this.

Copper was a bad call for metallics. Blends in with the skin too much. Wouldn't be a problem if I gave myself the time to do a little blacklining or something. Speaking of skin. I spent almost thirty minutes painting it up good. Then I went over it with unthinned (!!!) wash. Ate away most of my highlights. That was annoying. I never fixed it so what you see is the remains of that work. Bit too subtle for my taste.

I don't usually work this fast. Even a "fast" mini for me is easily over two hours spread over two or more evenings. This guy was 90 minutes and change in a single sitting. Quite refreshing. I'd definitely recommend the experience.

• Like 5

Finished some things over the weekend. "Finari" from Reaper:

pic4542729.jpg

pic4542727.jpg

Sword is my first try at basic NMM. I think it shows:PIt's not a style I'm particularly fond of but I was challenged to do "something new". So I did. Will probably revisit this style few times throughout the year, just for education's sake. It certainly looks neat enough. Need to go a few steps above this though if I give this another go. White was another "new" thing. I've painted white before, but it's been a while. I sort of avoid the colour. This one's ok I guess, bit too flat for my taste. With more time I could've pushed the shadows and midtones a bit darker, but sometimes you just run out of creative juices you know.

Overall this was probably the most annoying thing I painted all month, but I think she looks nice, now that she's all done. One more for the cabinet:)

pic4542725.jpg

pic4542726.jpg

This one's "Mountain Giant", from Battlore 2nd edition board game. Quick "rough highlights & dirty washes" project. I've been painting that game on and off for few years now. Mostly off. Still only about third of the way through. Slow and steady wins the race, right:D

9 figures done for January, unless I do another 1-night barbarian in the next few days.

• Like 3

Not a barbarian, but something else quick! Elsewhere someone wondered about painting metallic Alpha Legion space marines. Sounded like a fun thing to try. Metal is mostly heavy drybrushing, some stippling and glazed blue shadows. Freehand took another day, but painting freehand over metallics is a major pain so cleanliness was... uh, not a major consideration:PI also couldn't find a tutorial for the Hydra symbol so it looks like a three year old painted it.

pic4548685.jpgpic4548686.jpgpic4548687.jpg

Photographs super badly, as TMM does, but it's a neat effect irl. I understand why some 30k/40k players like their marines metallic.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

First mini of February done. Gosh that took a while.

pic4565668.jpgpic4565667.jpg

Batman based on the Frank Miller comics, from Knight Models. This guy is solid metal. That cape is godawful for a gaming piece. Looks good though:D

I like the... I lack words, "rougher" style I used with this. Was a lot of fun to paint. Got this in a Christmas mini exchange. I didn't do as much painting as I'd have liked this past week but everything went into this model. I'd like to think it shows. Plenty to improve, of course. But happy to call this done. More minis to do. There's a monthly Wyrd challenge going on!

• Like 5

Busy week.

pic4569681.jpgpic4569682.jpg

Was painting at a friend's place. While waiting for my ride home I offered to basecoat this lovely lady. Ended up painting the whole thing:PHair looks a bit faded in the photo for some reason. I'm particularly happy about the one minute (ok maybe 90 seconds) lens effect I smudged onto the camera.

pic4569683.jpg

These boys were done in the same session. Not quite so fast though.

pic4573192.jpg

Metal Vik. Lovely figure. I've been struggling with my purples but I'm happy how they turned out this time.

pic4578408.jpg

Moleman. Simple figure. Not much to say really. He was fun.

After spending over a week on that Batman it was fun to just blast through some tabletop ok minis without dwelling on any of them.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Must've been exhausting to do that many minis. Spent half a week doing nothing. Other half doing this (and a bit of nothing, but mostly this):

pic4597128.jpgpic4597130.jpgpic4597132.jpg

Meet Nazir ibn Hamid ibn Hajjad, Emir. This is a Helldorado mini I acquired late last year. I've loved this mini ever since I saw it online and was overjoyed to get him basically for free from a local Malifaux newbie. This is only my second Helldorado mini I've worked on, but as a minipainter I gotta say these are really good quality figures.

Tried a more textured approach to doing fabric here and gotta say, I like what I see.  All three colours of cloth had a different work flow to them. Green was highlighted, then given a brown wash. Turquoise was painted grey, given a blue wash, theh highlighted up to grey/white, then tinted over with turquoise ink. White was basically layered up from brown, by way of stippling.

I doubt my Arabic freehand is legible. Can't write it on a piece of paper, let alone on a rounded surface. But this was for a freehand themed online challenge, so I tried. Idea being the big guy is magically enslaved by an old sorcerer. Words of power and all that.

• Like 8

I intentionally went for more earthy tones on the carrier (Youssef, in Hell Dorado lore). Emir seems like the kind of character to bask in his own opulence. Can't have servants upstaging you. To keep things together I used the same auxiliary colours on both. Same off-black, gold and blue on weapon hilts.

For the past months I've been trying to be more frequent in my use of textured painting. It looks really appropriate on fabrics but sometimes I do it just for the heck of it (Youssef's skin had it, though far less than on cloth). Bit more time consuming than just drawing a straight line, but as someone who tends to do single figures anyway, it doesn't add that much to the proceedings.

pic4603851.jpgpic4603853.jpg

Catwoman by Knight Models.

Sure enough, after Emir it was time for a simpler, quicker paintjob. Overshaded the yellow, but this was a relatively fuss free paintjob so I left it instead of fixing. Happy with the highlights and all, just overall a tad darker than what I aimed for. Tableworthy for sure:)

• Like 6

pic4611193.jpg

Professor Pyg & Dollotrons. Quick commission piece for a fellow local Malifaux and Batman player.

I'm pretty happy with the skin. Feels like I've got a decent "get it done quick" recipe I can use for paintjobs like this. Prepping these reinforced my decision not to get any more Knight Models stuff for a while. Game is fun, sculpts are great, but casting quality is really sloppy sometimes. You're definitely paying for license, not quality. Makes me miss Malifaux models (just made an order for Yan Lo & friends, so yay).

• Like 6

22 hours ago, Ultravanillasmurf said:

Nice job. The Knight models always look nice on the site (and when others paint them) but they are hard work.

Their sculpts are great. They will turn out gorgeous if you put the work in. But at that price point I expect more. Such a pity. Now for something completely different:

pic4614049.jpgpic4614050.jpgpic4614051.jpg

Another one of my Russian Alternative barbarians. This one wasn't a speedpaint, but was done in a single day. Not doing anything fancy with this. Just having fun and test driving some new paints I got. So far these have been very cool models to work with. Not my favourite barbarian aesthetic, I prefer them less armoured, but that's a small downside considering I got a box of these for dirt cheap.

Next up will probably be more work on my March challenge Jorogumo. That big boy takes a lot of work.

• Like 2

She turned out pretty good yeah:) I try to find joy in everything I paint. But I want to be mindful of when I cut corners, mess up, outright fail etc.. So even my best minis have much to improve. Importantly I'm still happy when I do them. It keeps me going. At least on a technical level she's nowhere near my best, but technical proficiency is only half a paintjob (if even that...). I think I chose pretty good colours for the mini. Lack of any blending on her coat really shows up in pictures, and drags it down there, but irl at more realistic viewing distance it's pretty striking. And everything else just works.

And I think it's worth pointing out there was nothing I was doing for the first time on that mini. Quick few minute colour fade on her blade, wooden stock on the gun, skin, pink hair, way I did her pants... Every "recipe" and technique has been tried and tested on numerous past minis. For a few day paintjob she was pretty fast 'n loose, but it's been a long journey to get to where I can whip something like that out and say it wasn't even trying my best.

Sadly Vik wasn't for me. She's gone now. I did take a little family portrait before she left though:

pic4573191.jpg

I don't time my paintings, but I'm pretty sure she was fastest paintjob by a comfortable margin. And dare I say she's not worst looking of the bunch. It's pretty nice to see oneself get better:)

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

Did some boys in blue earlier this month:

pic4639423.jpg

pic4639424.jpg

pic4639425.jpgpic4639426.jpg

Batman and Gotham Police are for BMG. Payback for a local player who gifted me all objectives and tactical scenery I needed for the game.

Minsc & Boo was bought from a local Malifaux player. Repainted his cape three times before I was happy:D

• Like 9

pic4649910.jpgpic4649909.jpg

More barbarians from Russian Alternative. These were all done seperately in a single day each. Not speed painted. Maybe "briskly painted":D

pic4656410.jpg

Jorogumo as seen on the March painting thread. For few more pictures and few words here's a link to my post in that thread:

https://themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/143911-2019-monthly-painting-challenge-march/?page=7&tab=comments#comment-1170279

pic4662873.jpg

pic4662874.jpg

Started and finished these five guys this weekend. Chaos Cultists from Warhammer 40k. Fun models. Fun quick project.

This month I participated in a "paint more than you usually do" challenge elsewhere, so there was some emphasis on quantity over quality. Particularly evident on barbarians and cultists in this update. For reference I painted 20 models this month, as opposed to less than 20 I did in January and February combined. Was a fun challenge. I'm quite happy with what I managed to achieve this month despite some amount of rushing. Comforting:)

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Slow month. This post is just rehashing what I did in the painting challenge thread. But I like this thread for archival/reference reasons, so here they go:

pic4710886.jpgpic4710888.jpg

Posted a few words about Manos here: 

pic4700303.jpgpic4700305.jpg

And for Tengu:

Next month should be more active. Got some Yan Lo stuff I need to get painted:D

• Like 8

Oo, already painted more than I did last month. Wild.

pic4723262.jpgpic4723263.jpg

Crime Boss. More words in the May challenge thread:

pic4729827.jpgpic4729828.jpg

Ashigaru. Ditto:

Here's 3/4 of a commission I'm doing for a local BMG player (1/4 still not in my hands):

pic4732631.jpg

pic4732632.jpg

Nightwing (Arkham Knight, metal), Robin / Damian Wayne (metal) and Sierra the taser SWAT (resin). Not too shabby of a trio for 2-day's worth of painting :D Figure quality was a bit suspect. I'm used to KM resin being very hit or miss but Nightwing too had some unsightly crap on his knee. Must've been an old mold back when it was cast. Nothing you couldn't play with.  It's an interesting distraction to paint known super heroes roughly according to box art. Usually I like to go for my own colour schemes and they're hardly consistent. It's how I enjoy this hobby. This isn't that. But this is interesting, every once in a while. At least client knows what they want and that makes it easy for me.

5 figures in 7 days. Crazy.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Painted Yan Lo's core box as part of the Painting Challenge here. Here's the whole set:

pic4755494.jpg

Painted over a course of 2½ weeks with that Batman commission in between. Particularly happy with the white on Chiaki. Those turquoise shadows are quite something :) Fun set overall. Tested out heavy body Titanium White on her. Neat stuff.

Hoping to get a bit more done in May. I need to finish one more model to qualify for Caedrus' painting achivement (50ss painted in a month). I also got another BMG commission (5 figures) which I naturally want to finish and get paid for as soon as possible. Week and a half to go. Gonna be busy if I want to get all that done.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Bit late posting. These two were painted in May:

pic4762776.jpgpic4762777.jpg

Quick Domadore de Cadavere for a friend. Pretty cool mini.

pic4763281.jpgpic4763282.jpg

BMG commission. Catwoman based on Anne Hathaway's likeness in Dark Knight Rises film. I filed off the excess crap on her pistol since taking the photo. Client will base. Surprisingly quick figure since it was very monotone in colour. Quite happy with the accidental dark redhead look I got.

Have a good June everybody!

• Like 6