TOS Story Discussion

StormLordXIII

I really enjoyed 'Fire at St Paul's' in the King's Empire section. All the KE characters were great, as was Barbet. Living in and near London all my life, it was really interesting to imagine the places I know well being decimated by portals, other-worldly water, and monstrous Hordes. Plus Edmonton is a badass!

I went for Abyssinia in the KS but I can't help feeling that as I'm British, I missed a trick. Oh well, I'll just have to buy more models 🤩

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Gullinbursti said:

Just reading through the fiction at the moment. Have to say, Guild, the secret good guys of the setting!? :D

I must say I am very curious to see what the story in the Guild part of the book means for the future of the Guild.
This may have quite an impact on the way the Guild works.
And the fact that this story focuses quite a bit on a newcomer that seems to hate the way the guild worked in the past is surely not innocent.

Yeah, between Jacinta and Samantha, it looks like the guild is being changed up for TOS. I guess with the Cult, the guy who was the previous big bad of the guild has been removed and repurposed. I'm actually happy with it, I'm eager to see how the Guild plays out story/faction wise. (Though Samantha kind of sounds like she might be going dual faction in the future to me ;) ).

• 3 weeks later...

I liked the Guild story the best, to my absolute surprise. Although my single favorite moment was in what I guess was the ‘main’ story, just after Kassa met Thrace for the first time. :D

On 12/3/2018 at 10:07 AM, Harkevich said:

The Samantha Thrace book was pretty good, even if it's 100+ pages about how Samantha Thrace is awesome and the other factions are just there to give her a hard time. The fact that it came with 20 pages of Other Side rules was just icing on the cake.

Boy, were you not kidding. Lady Victory was omnipresent.

Was this what it was like to pick up an early first edition Malifaux book and have the entire collection tightly curated to a single storyline?

15 hours ago, Gnomezilla said:

I liked the Guild story the best, to my absolute surprise. Although my single favorite moment was in what I guess was the ‘main’ story, just after Kassa met Thrace for the first time. :D

Boy, were you not kidding. Lady Victory was omnipresent.

Was this what it was like to pick up an early first edition Malifaux book and have the entire collection tightly curated to a single storyline?

If I remember correctly, yes! The stories started to diversity a bit with M1E3, but M2E really dispersed the stories as the universe got bigger.

• 1 month later...

The stories were pretty good, certainly increased the interest.

There were some pieces about the Battle For London that felt a bit off (geographically and language wise), but that may be understandable. Neil Gaiman made use of a translator when he wrote American Gods to ensure linguistic accuracy. Tim Powers did not for Declare.

Of course this is not the London of our timeline (nor the language of today).

The time Thrace and Belle took to get to Stonehenge was a bit odd, if the King's Empire was still the heart of the Industrial Revolution (which is implied in the fluff), then the rail network would have developed to an extent at least similar to the pale skeleton of today where Stonehenge is about ten miles from Salisbury station. There used to be a military line to an aerodrome next door to the stones.

Again, of course, see above.

The podcast versions of the setting background and the Battle For London were excellent, I hope there will be more.

• 5 months later...
On 9/5/2019 at 3:54 PM, 11Anthonyc said:

Podcast version?

Breach side Broadcast episodes 85-88 are also related.

Earthside Echo from the Kickstarter.

Setting: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1334239018/the-other-side-9/posts/2189519

Battle for London: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1334239018/the-other-side-9/posts/2179216

• Thanks 1