Weight on Base

Thottbot

I've used small lead weights bought on eBay on some of my bases...search "lead weights" then look under the Toys and Games filter...one tip (apart from make sure to use plenty of glue to cement them in place) is be sure to get some paint and varnish on them afterwards otherwise if you drag them across scenery it can leave grey marks...otherwise do the job very well

Edited by Burnin' Coal
Forgot to add ebay details

1 minute ago, Burnin' Coal said:

I've used these small lead weights on some of my bases...one tip (apart from make sure to use plenty of glue to cement them in place) is be sure to get some paint and varnish on them afterwards otherwise if you drag them across scenery it can leave grey marks...otherwise do the job very well

where do you get the lead weights? :huh:

I've known people put metal washers under the base. They can be only a couple of pence each from hardware stores (Although you probably buy them in lots of at least 100).  I've  a load of old metal sprew tags that I sometimes add to counterbalance. Lead is much heavier which might be more what you want. 

24 minutes ago, Adran said:

I've known people put metal washers under the base. They can be only a couple of pence each from hardware stores (Although you probably buy them in lots of at least 100).  I've  a load of old metal sprew tags that I sometimes add to counterbalance. Lead is much heavier which might be more what you want. 

How about cutting out the middle man and just gluing on a penny? 

1 minute ago, WWHSD said:

How about cutting out the middle man and just gluing on a penny? 

That ought to work in practice but I'm not sure if I fall foul of the Treason laws for defacing the Queens image.  You may wish to check the law on your own currency before doing so. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2018-02-15 at 6:26 PM, CannibalBob said:

I generally get around this issue by using some of the scenic resin bases made by 3rd party manufacturers.  It also saves me the time of converting a detailed base in many cases - and in others it does half the work already and I don't have to modify much. 

the problem with those is that they dont really weigh they much, i have the problem where some models are really back heavy or easily toppled by a wind gust.

But the previous comment about the metal balls seem interesting :)

On 2018-01-22 at 7:31 PM, Brass Monkey said:

Let me guess... you're building a death marshal?

HAH, i sure hope not. if i purchase the metal balls that goes under the base, i can promise you that my guild marshal friend will steal and hoard all the balls for himself 🤣

On 2018-01-22 at 6:17 PM, Adran said:

America and Ireland also apparently refer to the 1 cent coin ( in dollars and Euros respectively) as pennies.

Sweden doesn't appear to have a low denomination coin that you would want to use, which I found surprising. 

i mean we have some coins that fit under, but not perfect fits and they are also not produced anymore so i will have a problem finding those coins.

(our version of pennies was stopped in production a couple of years ago)