Errata Question - Degree of Meaningful Change for Casual

phloog

Question

So I know there is a very limited amount of errata - for example in my campaign deck there was a new card for a couple of models.

I play MAYBE once every few months, and in such a casual way that winning and losing are not really something we care too much about...however, we don't want a broken game, so here's my question:

Is the errata typically created to counter an unexpected loophole/exploit/synergy?  Sort of like "Oops...just realized this card plus these two and this upgrade lead to an instant win!!!"

Or is the errata typically to fix a horrible problem that is not complex to detect or exploit?  One that instantly breaks a game?

Based on what I know about their playtesting I'd assume it's the first, and my group can continue to play with whatever version of the cards for the models they have.....is this true?

I'd like to just be secure in knowing that some models may have an advantage, but nothing too horrible.

Thanks,

JT

5 answers to this question

Third option is that an errata card toned down a tactic that was both uncounterable and made the list of people's pet peeves. Guild austringers attack at long range without LoS and they were toned down (lost some range) and the pigapult does the same and got toned down also (its ammo, the stuffed piglet, had its cost increased). Those are the ones I think you'd maybe care about as a casual player.

Or if you played one of the weak masters that got buffed (option four!) you will want those cards. Misaki is better, Lucius is much better, Tara and upgrades got rewritten to be slightly less brain-bending.

There isn't a single giant errata pack yet but the biggest one with all the buffed cards is January 2017.

The errata and faq are freely available to download and lists all the models that have been changed.

Mostly it's minor adjustments and oversights. Like guild guard not having the guardsmen characteristic or wings of darkness saying model instead of crew.

Some of them are quite significant though. Like austringers losing increased range with focus or stuffed piglet increase from 2 to 3 soul stones.

Overall I don't think any of it is enough to break the game if you play without it, but it does alter the power level of specific models.

Nothing gamebreaking except wings of darkness which doesn't technically have an effect if you play it as written, most players aren't even aware of the interaction that makes it useless because they don't read the rules that carefully. It's more about making the game fun for both players and removing boring interactions both over- and underpowered.

Thanks, all...this wouldn't be an issue I don't think if I hadn't gone crazy and bought around 300 Malifaux figures...because, y'know...it's a skirmish game (actually it's because I can never decide what I want).

I was just dreading tracking a bunch, but I put all my data cards in those hard sleeves, so I can just print errata and stick it in front.

Of course, a lot my stuff might have come out AFTER errata...yick.....(I bought a lot of arsenal packs as I had metals)

Thanks again,

JT

4 hours ago, phloog said:

Thanks, all...this wouldn't be an issue I don't think if I hadn't gone crazy and bought around 300 Malifaux figures...because, y'know...it's a skirmish game (actually it's because I can never decide what I want).

I was just dreading tracking a bunch, but I put all my data cards in those hard sleeves, so I can just print errata and stick it in front.

Of course, a lot my stuff might have come out AFTER errata...yick.....(I bought a lot of arsenal packs as I had metals)

Thanks again,

JT

Wargame vault sells cards with errata inline. Cards are $0.50. If even remotely an issue just buy the errata'd cards and throw away old ones. And can buy buddies cards as well so they have no excuse. $0.50 per was such an easy sell on me xD