Dead Man's Hand Podcast: Episode 6 - Academia and Arcana

On 2/11/2017 at 8:21 PM, Saduhem said:

This podcast is slowly growing to be one my favorites. What matters the most for me is the richness of information, and Dead Man's Hand is top quality in that regard. Competing for my love for Schemes and Stones. Stop it!

Thanks very much! I'll pass the info on to the other hosts :-)

By the way, on Joss being a trap model: The first time I saw his card, I was upset by his damage track. I thus understand your opinion about him. But wouldn't he be worth taking if you anticipate armour on the opponent's side? I had a game once, where I took him in a Hoffman crew because of his ability to generate scrap markers. The reason why he shined that game is because my TT opponent took Izamu in his crew and Joss managed to kill him at the begining of turn 2. Sure, machine puppet was key to move him up the board and charge Izamu turn 1.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2017 at 4:54 PM, Franchute said:

By the way, on Joss being a trap model: The first time I saw his card, I was upset by his damage track. I thus understand your opinion about him. But wouldn't he be worth taking if you anticipate armour on the opponent's side? I had a game once, where I took him in a Hoffman crew because of his ability to generate scrap markers. The reason why he shined that game is because my TT opponent took Izamu in his crew and Joss managed to kill him at the begining of turn 2. Sure, machine puppet was key to move him up the board and charge Izamu turn 1.

Hi franchute,

good question. First, I think when you can predict with a high degree of probability what your opponent will be taking (not all readers/10T have any armor) it definitally changes what models make sense.

But, in your case, it sounds like you took joss because of interactions within your crew, and he happened to also perform really well against armor. I think that's the key, joss, like most models, shines when you take him in crews where there is some multiplicative effects on his power (in this case mobility), and doubly when you happen to hit an opponent he has a strength against.

Taking him in a crew that has not a lot of interaction with him because you know your opponent has armor is probably fine, but I'd rather assume most of the time my opponent has a few different viable options and I won't know 100% ahead of time their choice. 

I do think, depending on the faction, you should have at least one tool that, for wahever reason is good against armor, but there are a lot of options for that.

IMO, joss is not the captain - he's a situationally very powerful model, I think the reason I think of him as a trap is because people see him shine in Ramos and think that means he'll perform close to the same level in other crews (like Colette or sandeep for example).

• Like 1

On 2/15/2017 at 11:27 AM, Franchute said:

Hey @Romes

Thanks for your clear answer.

I hope you don't mind if I abuse again from your sympathy. I have a question: what do you think about the use of non-arcanist academics in a Sandeep crew i.e. valedictorian, sanctionned spellcasters and librarian?

I think as a concept bringing in alternate faction models can be very valuable, and certainly is for Marcus with beasts.

I don't see any out of faction academics as of yet that excite me.

1. The students are good summons when you already know what you're facing, but too situational to be worth their points generally.
  2. Valedictorian is the most interesting because adding 8 inches to her threat range combined with trigger denial *could* be crippling for particular masters (Colette?), but in general for the stones I think other models add more.
  3. Sanctioned spellcasters seem kinda interesting and fine, but they're in the same point slot as oxfordian mages, and 3 oxfordians is one more than I'd *really* like to be able to take, so 4 is too much.
  4. Librarian is great in outcasts, but the actual de-buffing of her heal as a cross faction pick means in most cases I don't see a great reason to pick her over a silent one?

• Like 1