Terrain rules guidelines

yool1981

Hello everybody,

As a new TO with a meta full of beginners, I am working on a terrain rules guidelines to help people and reduce the time per game lost due to rules question.

I thus tried to standardized the available usual terrain features and give them traits. I also explained when they blocked pushes as I realized not everybody used the same norms. In order to avoid the lonely sniper in the unclimbable tower, I also detailed when a terrain feature was allowed for models to be deployed into.

Finally, I tried to synthesize rules and FAQ that were related to moving/shooting through terrain.

I am absolutely not a rules encyclopedia so I may have made mistakes.

I would be glad to have the feedback of more experienced TO and/or players about this document.

Terrain rules guidelines

Regards

Yool

• Like 4

Complaints:

- There's no point in splitting the hard and soft cover rules across the two columns.  Put all of the text in the first column and remove the "see the cover rules" bit.

- Those default terrain heights don't work.  Almost anything, including using stickers with numbers to indicate terrain height, would be better.

It otherwise looks like a good effort.  

Thx for the feedbacks.

I will make it more readable (lighter layout) in the next revision (coming in a few days).

As an aside, we have a debate in our gaming group regarding how to treat linear obstacles (sorry, I come from PP games) and their interaction with pushes.

For me, Wall and fences block pushes while barbed wires do not (if you are pushed into barbed wired but not enough to come on the other side, you take the hasardous damage and stop before the obstacle).

For others, no linear obstacle blocks pushes (which I find highly counterintuitive).

How do you play them?

On 14/01/2017 at 9:42 PM, solkan said:

- Those default terrain heights don't work.  Almost anything, including using stickers with numbers to indicate terrain height, would be better.

I don't understand your point. May you please kindly elaborate?

• Like 1

Climbable isn't what affects pushes - impassable is. But yeah, most people I see do walls as impassable + climbable which comes out pretty much exactly the same as severe but it also stops pushes.

Personally I wish you couldn't climb during a charge to make the terrain types a bit more different but that's neither here nor there.

That means you can't go up climbable stuff, you could still push through it. For example in the rare case of a climbable but not impassable piece of terrain (free-hanging vines maybe?) you could still push through them, just not up them. But yeah I guess I'm splitting hairs at this point because I've never even considered climbable but not impassable terrain until literally just now.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...