Best Masters for a Malifaux Newb

ObviouslyDexter

Hey Folks! 

I am looking at diving into malifaux and the Gremlins really caught my attention =D

I know this question has been asked a million times and having said that I have done a little research and read the Schemes and Stones Gremlin Budget article. Fact of the matter is, Ophelia and So'mer both look like a great starting point until I saw Zip... That crazy flying sun'va gun caught my eye like a skeeter floating through the stanky swamps. My question is, does his box mesh with Either So'mer or Ophelia's? Or does he like to do his own little mechanical thang? If he does in fact mesh with either of those boxes, does that limit the options I have? I've heard that Ophelia and So'mer can be quite flexible. Is he a difficult master to learn for a newcomer to Malifaux?

I should mention I have experience playing other miniatures games, namely Infinity and Bolt Action so I'm not a newb to the genre.

I'll also probably end up picking up a pair of Slop Haulers... because healing slop haulers.

Thanks in advance,

Dexter

• Like 1

Pick the master you like the most and go with their box. I think in general there are very few must haves that only come in crew boxes. Most of the good stuff is sold on its own. Somer IMO is the best crew box as his base crew uses all the models in it, most of the other masters hardly use whats in their box.

Brewmaster uses Wesley and Fingers frequently. Shinobi sometimes as well. As was already stated, Wong Zipp and Ophelia do as well. So that's 5/8 masters that like models in their crew box. 

As far as beginners go, I wouldn't play that way. Pick a master you like the idea of and start there. My first master was Pandora, who is commonly believed to be a hard starting point. You'll get the hang of it. 

I'd honestly go with Zipp. He's my favorite gremlin, he can do damage, he can disrupt the enemy. He has plenty of tricks for you to get used to, but does not rely on them to be useful. 

I think it would be more accurate to say that most masters except Som'er don't tend to use all of their crew box, which I think is true, I can't really see ever bringing three moon shinobis* or three iron skeeters or every single LaCroix enforcer.

*ignore that I have six of them and I once brought five with mah because I saw I had exactly 30 stones left

53 minutes ago, Dogmantra said:

I think it would be more accurate to say that most masters except Som'er don't tend to use all of their crew box, which I think is true, I can't really see ever bringing three moon shinobis* or three iron skeeters or every single LaCroix enforcer.

*ignore that I have six of them and I once brought five with mah because I saw I had exactly 30 stones left

If I can find a way to guarantee that all three [Moon Shinobi] will be doing everything with :-fate modifiers, I'll try to bring all three ;)

(Brewmaster, Swill)

1 hour ago, spooky_squirrel said:

If I can find a way to guarantee that all three [Moon Shinobi] will be doing everything with :-fate modifiers, I'll try to bring all three ;)

(Brewmaster, Swill)

Which is exactly why I won't bring them with Mah anymore. Screwed myself pretty hard one game when everyone on the team was benefiting from he plus flips other than the shinobi, who got worse.

On 15/12/2016 at 2:02 PM, Four_N_Six said:

Brewmaster uses Wesley and Fingers frequently. Shinobi sometimes as well. As was already stated, Wong Zipp and Ophelia do as well. So that's 5/8 masters that like models in their crew box. 

As far as beginners go, I wouldn't play that way. Pick a master you like the idea of and start there. My first master was Pandora, who is commonly believed to be a hard starting point. You'll get the hang of it. 

I'd honestly go with Zipp. He's my favorite gremlin, he can do damage, he can disrupt the enemy. He has plenty of tricks for you to get used to, but does not rely on them to be useful. 

Thanks! 

Would it be a weird combo to have the Som'er Teeth Bayou Boss set and the Sky Pirates? Do these two sets mesh well together or are they completely different beasts? 

11 minutes ago, ObviouslyDexter said:

Thanks! 

Would it be a weird combo to have the Som'er Teeth Bayou Boss set and the Sky Pirates? Do these two sets mesh well together or are they completely different beasts?

Not at all weird! Som'er can do basically anything, and everything in his box works well in lots of different situations. Zipp is kind of similar in that sense, although you probably won't use all three Iron Skeeters as much as you might use all four Bayou Gremlins. If you go that route you're a little heavy on scheme running and slightly lacking in heavy hitters (although you can certainly do plenty of damage - with Lenny, Bayou Gremlins can really pack a punch!) You'd probably want to look at getting a more elite model or two as a next step, my suggestion would be Burt Jebsen since he works well with Iron Skeeters, Lenny, Som'er and really most models in those boxes.

Really most Gremlin masters' crew boxes can work just fine with most masters, the main exceptions are Zoraida who has mostly Neverborn stuff and maybe Ulix.

On 17/12/2016 at 10:39 AM, Dogmantra said:

my suggestion would be Burt Jebsen since he works well with Iron Skeeters, Lenny, Som'er and really most models in those boxes

Well! I went over to the LGS and picked up sky pirates. They didn't have any of the other goblin crews though. Since zip Iis lacking some damages, I'll probably pick up Burt in the meantime! I keep seeing Burt and Gracie mentioned alot together, do they have some abilities that mesh and would Gracie fit in with zip and Burt? 

Burt and Gracie have synergies, yes. Burt can offload hits, Gracie is really tanky and heals. Burt can make Gracie push into base contact with an enemy, and though not exclusive, with Saddle she can move Burt around when she walks.

Might also consider Sparks, as he works well with Zipp's heavy Construct slant.

I've been considering a construct only Zipp crew with Fingers, the Whiskey Golem, and maybe Laz.  Not sure how it would work in practice, but if Sparks is there it's worth a try.

Gracie and Burt are supposed to work well together, and it isn't that they don't, but I don't try it out enough to really know for sure.  I do like Burt with Wong, though.  He can get to pretty good damage with critical strike being built into his attack, plus the additional +1 from Wong, plus the option of a second critical strike from the duel.  Add in his hard to kill with the regeneration from "Ooo, Glowy" and the fact that he ignores armor, incorporeal, and hard to kill, and you've got a favorite of mine.  Plus he has crackerjack timing if you need it to help Wong get his big booms in.

On top of that, the Lightning Bugs are pretty reliable scheme runners.  I've tried them in combat before and they tend to fold pretty quickly if you aren't careful, but they can really get those schemes done if you have the right suit in your hand.  Mancha Roja is one of my favorites when I need a good melee model, too.  Especially with Mah Tucket.