Is the Malifaux Starter Set usefull if your not new?

GR1MMJOW 666

The starter set is indeed a great box to buy if just starting out, with 4 on 4 action, tape measures, all are mercs and 2 fate decks! How usefull are the models in actual crews or competitive play though? I do enjoy Angel Eyes ability to shoot into engaged models, but ide like to hear from people on this. Have you guys used any of these models effectivly in your crews and how so? 

Scion gives a pretty powerful condition removal that's not always easily found in Neverborn. It's great with Lynch if you have a pair of Aces, or with Dreamer because it can remove the Waking Condition.

I find Angel Eyes useful when our local group has a Shifting Loyalties campaign going since you can give her :ranged attack equipment and utilize her ability to shoot into engagements with them.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Viagrus said:

Waking cannot be removed by friendly actions. It says so directly on Dreamer's card.

The loophole is that the thing removing the Waking Condition is an Ability:

Blessings of the Blood: Friendly models which begin their Activation within :aura6 of this model may discard two cards at the start of their Activation to end all Conditions on them.

and Waking specifies Actions (capitalized, so we know they mean the game term):

This Condition may not be removed by the Actions of other friendly models.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Viagrus said:

Waking cannot be removed by friendly actions. It says so directly on Dreamer's card.

As Solkan said it's not an Action taken by a friendly model. It's an aura Ability on the Scion's card that allows the Dreamer to remove the condition when he activates. You can search the forums here to see the same discussion, though I think they were discussing it in relation to Distract and Cursed Object when I found it (they have the same Cannot be removed by Actions of friendly models text).

I for one am shocked that no one has mentioned the Bloodwretches yet. Those little guys are great. Ml 6 with Frenzied Charge. 2/3/5 damage track. Can heal when they kill. Got a way to give them fast(hello Dreamer)? Well just use The Rage Builds before they charge and you now have an Ml 6 with :+fate to their attacks that does 3/4/6 damage (this is the same damage track that Teddy has) and also gets you card draw for only 5 stones. They can hit well outside their weight class with ease or you can have them run around schemeing and hunting down your opponent's scheme runners.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, santaclaws01 said:

I for one am shocked that no one has mentioned the Bloodwretches yet. Those little guys are great. Ml 6 with Frenzied Charge. 2/3/5 damage track. Can heal when they kill. Got a way to give them fast(hello Dreamer)? Well just use The Rage Builds before they charge and you now have an Ml 6 with :+fate to their attacks that does 3/4/6 damage (this is the same damage track that Teddy has) and also gets you card draw for only 5 stones. They can hit well outside their weight class with ease or you can have them run around schemeing and hunting down your opponent's scheme runners.

They are a bit weird in that they are fantastic when you can give them Fast (fantastic enough that they can be a worthwhile Merc hire for Tara(!)) but without it they are just a bit lacking, IMO.

I will probly pick it up at some point, still mainly want angel eyes. It looks like some of the other models could indeed be useful, at the very least just for trying new crews and games for fun. Want to try putting angel eyes with a guild crew using hunters or the peacekeeper. Ill just harpoon away and then blast them... If they survived anyways.