Gremlins VS Ressors

thewisp

Hello All,

I have start playing gremlins and my main opponent is ressors.  Typically he plays Molly and Nicodem  (He has been favoring Molly lately).  Though when we play,  I tend to feel that I am always on my back foot since it feels like he always gets ahead with his summoning and out activates me or paralyze my master.  It could be that I am new to Malifaux and I am still learning how to do Strategies and Schemes properly .   I have the following models

Ulix box 

Wong Box

Gracie

Burt

Mctavish

Piglets x3

Warpig

Any recommendations on what to use against Ressors in general or next I should pick up?

The most useful model I've had against resers is the taxidermist, using his ability to turn corpse markers into stuffed piglets. Then I use the stuffed piglets to engage their summoners. 

From memory McTavish has a 0 ability that allows him to push into Base contact with a corpse marker to discard it and flip a card for a benefit. 

From my experience of resers you can often limit their summoning engine (or make them think about when to use it)  if you start taking advantage of their fuel.

• Like 1

I'll echo what @Rosskov has said about Taxidermists. They are a great counter to Corpse Marker dropping in general. They are also pretty good with Ulix as they can make Pigs fly which is a wondrous site to see. I generally run one on a Flank to deal with an opposing scheme runner. I like Wong  against Ressurs as well as a lot of their models rely off of Hard to Wound to stay alive. Glowy just straight up ignores this so you will go right through them. McTavish can really clean house if you get the Red Joker in hand to cheat vs a normally reslient Henchmen or Enforcer. Or just generally kill Nurses or other nasties.

The Swine Cursed will be another excellent tool in the bag once they are released to deal with Ressurs. In general though use your speed to put the summoners on a clock as if you give them time to make more zombies you will soon find yourself fighting an uphill battle. Rooster Riders are excellent as well if for nothing else as a speed bump.

In general vs resurrectionists, you want a few things:

Higher Wp since they have a fair amount of terrifying and some nasty vs Wp attacks (in particular, Belles with their Ca8 Lure). I'll always strongly consider taking Liquid Bravery on my leader and possibly also Old Cranky to help out with those. Unfortunately, you don't have Som'er who is imo the best at using Liquid Bravery because he can delegate the (0) to one of his Skeeters and use a more useful one himself. Still, one to consider on any leader. Burt & Francois are both very useful here with their 7 Wp.

Range is at least one way to deal with resurrectionists who tend to be somewhat slow and have very little ranged threat. You seem to have quite a heavy melee slanted selection of models. Burt and McTavish + Lightning Bugs will be okay, but a little more range couldn't hurt. Maybe some Bayou Gremlins? You just want to be careful you don't feed them extra corpse markers.

Some way to deal with Hard to Wound. In general Resurrectionists have lower Defenses but more wounds and lots of HtW. One way is to bring stuff with high minimum damage. Glowy Burt is great for that, as that brings him up to 4 min damage with his inbuilt crit strike, and would ignore other defensive abilities too. Other models you'd want to look at are probably some of the more elite beaters with Dumb Luck who can also do ~4 damage on a minimum flip with that trigger. The other option is to use Moon Shinobis. I love 'em but they're a bit situational. Anyway, they turn all :+fates into :-fates and vice versa, meaning HtW becomes a positive to damage with them. Don't go overboard, but bringing one or two is always fun vs resurrectionists.

Also, vs summoners, Som'er can be good if you can get within 18" of their master. With Bigger Hat Than You, he can make both players discard their entire hands, making hitting the summon TNs much harder.

• Like 2

Zipp is awesome vs resser with rambling diatribe! Need crows? Too bad let's make you ditch some, and also you can go for the zapper to slow down some of their model which are already slow (they get to like walk 2 or less in some cases).

But between the 2 crews you have, I would prefer Wong over ulix, since pigs have such low wp and Wong can already deny the printed suits, which helps a lot especially vs lures (resser generally save up high crows for summoning).

Also I totally agree with the guys up here and in particularly with Dogmantra: liquid bravery and high low damages is the way! Also another glowy target I can recommend to you is Lazarus, which is kinda of an odd pick since he's an outcast (mercenary tho), but he get to min dmg 4, blast on medium/severe, has a good wp and it is really really hard to kill having a lot of wounds and armor 2. Combos really well  with sparks, which can give an additional armor and fast to it, and does'n't drop corpse markers.

Also the pig a pult might work, especially if you turned a lot of low cards,

so you have more possibilities to hit medium/severe, or as a stuffed piglet deploying machine, so that Wong can target the piggies (gremlin's luck help when randomizing) and deal the damages via blast (which aren't effected by Htw) and pulses (summoning masters tends to bunch up in order to focus on summoning and defending the engine).

Just going from your available models I'd think your best option is Wong with McTavish as Glowy.  Wong's blast and pulse ignores hard to wound and terrifying, and glowy McTavish can pick off lower wound models.  I know the basics of how Molly summons, but have never fought her myself.  Just going on that, I would imagine that her stuff comes in low wounds, so Wong should be able to kill them off quite easily.

I know not a lot of people agree with me, but I'm a huge advocate for Brewmaster.  I don't know how Ressers are WP wise as a whole, but he's an option for cutting down a lot of models at once.  Brewmaster can be amazing against summoners with his Binge upgrade.  One of the triggers strips a model's suits for the rest of the game, and that can completely shut a summoner down.

Zipp is very good at disrupting positioning, if they need models nearby.  I would like Mah Tucket in a situation like that, as her and models she tends to bring are all higher on stats than your average gremlin (might help with Terrifying).  Liquid Bravery for sure against Ressers.

I have been reading into brewmaster a bit but not sure what to take in his crew.  Like is Trixiebelle a huge requirement for brewmaster  Though with Somer is seems all I need to pick up is his box and an extra box of bayou gremlins.  Though a pigapult, rooster riders and stuffed pigs seems like items I should also look at.  Stuffed pigs and wong seems really fun

1 hour ago, thewisp said:

I have been reading into brewmaster a bit but not sure what to take in his crew.  Like is Trixiebelle a huge requirement for brewmaster

Brewie basically has three main things going for him: extra AP from Obey & Binge, stacking debuffs from Swill, and Drinking Contest. Trixie is nice and benefits just as anyone else would from the first two, but it's Drinking Contest that people say she's really important for.

A really common tactic is to try to bunch up as many enemies as possible within the Drinking Contest aura so your opponent spends loads of AP getting poisoned instead of achieving objectives. However, the aura is pretty small, and Brewmaster doesn't have much in the way of defenses outside of that, so if you lose initiative, your opponent has a chance to get off a nasty hit on Brewmaster, or at least get an important model away from where the drinking contest bubble will be soon. Trixie's ability to cheat initiative helps ensure you'll get initiative and can at least force them to make the Wp duels and at the worst drain good cards.

She also has a method of handing out poison and Gremlin Lure targets Wp, so she synergises there too.

You can totally play Brewmaster and do well without her though, particularly if you plan less around the drinking contest and more around being able to dish out :-fates to as much as possible.

Brews first turn for me is getting him into range, I typically activate him last. Better chance of being in range to start poisoning enemies, after that he goes first. His AP is typically used for Hangover on 3 high priority enemy models. Even if they're not in the contest with at least 1 Swill on, they're not going to be doing much. But if you get swill onto 3 targets that are in range of the contest, that's essentially a guarantee of 3 models that aren't doing anything. 

Brewmaster would be pretty interesting into Ressurs as McMourning is a royal PITA!! Gremlins also have pretty good condition Removal with Mud Toss on McTavish and Mancha. Binge is also a great method for depleting an opponent's hand and Performers can put big damage on Flesh Constructs or McMourning if they stack up Poison.

Just from a style/tactics viewpoint, another good trick to use into summoners in general is to force them to spend AP on something *other* then summoning.  Mostly running away and/or not dying.   Most summoners (and Nico in particular) want to hang out while you blow AP at trying to remove all of the summons they are presenting you with.  So instead of dealing with the actual source of the problem, you're just trying to swim against a current of undead bodies.  They end up winning the AP equation (they spend 1, you spend 3 or 4) that way.

Instead of giving Nicodem a free pass like that, scare him a bit and make him be more cautious about his positioning by throwing a Francois or Burt into him.

On ‎26‎.‎9‎.‎2016 at 5:11 PM, SinJ said:

Gremlins also have pretty good condition Removal with Mud Toss on McTavish and Mancha.

Got to admit that I consider it quite bad since adding an Upgrade and then using AP from those expensive models for Condition Removal always seemed like a pretty bad deal. I mean, it naturally could save you the game by removing Paralyze from Ophelia or whatever but it just seems to come up very, very seldom.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Math Mathonwy said:

Got to admit that I consider it quite bad since adding an Upgrade and then using AP from those expensive models for Condition Removal always seemed like a pretty bad deal. I mean, it naturally could save you the game by removing Paralyze from Ophelia or whatever but it just seems to come up very, very seldom.

I will generally Take Mud toss when I'm playing into Neverborn but I do take it vs Ressurs as my meta is pretty heavy with McMourning players and Kirai. Nurses paralyzing things in general is a royal PITA as well and is generally pretty card intensive for them to resolve.

In my games, (probably cause I am new to this game) I was zapped once or twice by molly's paralyze on my master.  I have considered mud toss, but as Math stated its expensive for condition removal.  Though I may want to pick up Sammy so I can get glowy and gremlins luck upgrade on the field.  Seems like Wong is a better way to go or I need to practice a lot with Ulix.