Gremlins - how do I start?

Shimian

Hey guys,

since I've almost completed my Resser collection, I threw an eye on the little fellas from the Bayou. I don't wanna collect the entire faction. Did this one time, that's enough :D So, how do I start? I would like to have a competetive master since I like participating in tournaments. Which Gremlin would you rate top tier in the faction? And what would you recommend to buy in addition to the crew box?

Kind regards from Germany

Sebastian

Top tier are Somer, Ophelia, Wong, and Ulix. Mah Tucket and Zoraida are very solid (and Zoraida got a huge boost with Wisps) and Brewski is more of an acquired taste. Most people think that he is the weakest of the Gremlin Masters but some really like him. Zipp is a mystery but looks to be either in the top or solid tiers.

The good thing about Gremlins is that most of the Masters like most of the models. Second good thing is that you can build a very competitive force with a relatively small pool of models. Third good thing is Moonshine and Pigs and all that's good and proper in the world but that's a different thread.

So yeah, how big an initial investment are you looking at?

The minimum I'd say would be Ophelia and Slop Haulers. That'll give you a solid crew right there.

There was a thread about building Gremlins with a budget which was good stuff:

If there is anything specifc you'd like to know, we shall see which one of us regulars is the fastest to come help. Welcome to the crazier green!

• Like 2

Güten Tag und wilkomen.

Definitely look at the schemes and stones article if you are budget conscious.  Be warned though, I started that way too.  Somer's crew, slop haulers, extra bayou gremlins and piglets was my initial "plan".  Three weeks later, I found that Ophelia's and Mah's crews, Burt, Sammy and Cranky all found their way into my collection somehow.

Once you get lost in the bayou, it is difficult to find your way out.

Tschüss.

• Like 1

If you just want 1 master I would say Som'er is probably the most versatile master. If there a lot of schemes he can plan a summoner style with Gremlins and the pigapult to just launch your guys where you need them.

He can also play more elite and lead a smaller crew and with Sammy carrying encouragement can be a scary ranged threat. For 1 wound and being close enough to Sammy he gets a :+fate flip on his attacks and can give himself a built in ram doing a min 4 damage on his gun. 

Bigger hat than yours can completely screw over enemy crews (and doesn't hurt him that much as bayou 2 card lets you cheat by flipping another card and he can easily regrow his hand).

Model wise I would highly recommend

-extra bayou Gremlin box

-Pigapult

-Sammy

-Slop Haulers

and after that build to taste. Merris is good for scheme running, Trixie and Francois are amazing if you can grab them single. Rooster riders always come in handy. Gracie can be used to carry around a summoning Som'er and with built in suits she can hit very hard. Get some piglets for Lenny to summon and watch the pigapult splat some enemies. 

4 hours ago, Math Mathonwy said:

Top tier are Somer, Ophelia, Wong, and Ulix. Mah Tucket and Zoraida are very solid (and Zoraida got a huge boost with Wisps) and Brewski is more of an acquired taste. Most people think that he is the weakest of the Gremlin Masters but some really like him. Zipp is a mystery but looks to be either in the top or solid tiers.

Very much agree with this as an analysis of power levels. The only caveat I'd add is that of the four listed as "top tier" here, imo Ulix and Ophelia are a touch more situational than Som'er and Wong, so I'd rate either Som'er or Wong to be the best if you're going for just a single master to play and be competitive with. Not that you can't play any master competitively though.

I actually just ordered my gremlins yesterday. I got somer, ulix and story encounter for stuffed piglets❤. I also got slop, gracie, war pig, the sow, pigapult and piglets. Yes this is prolly a little more pricey. I feel it gives me 2 masters and complete 50 ss crews with pretty good options though. Always best to have another option so your opponant doesnt focus on knowing you have 1 choice for a master. I feel like i need to give another shout out to the stuffed piglets again.. So exited to launch them in the pigapult? with 24 inch range

• Like 1

Looks like you have a really good start there for both Som'er and Ulix. I might recommend another box of Bayou Gremlins though, there are times you will have more than 4 on the table. Also agree that your purchases will provide both Masters with great options.

The Stuffed Piglets are nice but I am not a fan of them with the Pigapult, they come with an awful lot of downsides compared to just the regular piglet ammo.

Stuffed Piglets are great. Once you've got a few games in and are looking for the next thing to get, I recommend Wong's box. Wong loves Stuffed Piglets (run them into melee and shoot at them to hit a target with the Blasts, Pulses and the damage from Bacon Bomb), and Som'er loves Lightning Bugs for his summoning (Som'er - and his Skeeters - can give the Bugs Masks to their attack actions, and their Masks trigger heals everything in a pulse, i.e. all the Bayou Gremlins that Som'er just summoned)

• Like 1