When to take Pact or Nexus of Power Upgrades?

Phinn

When do you take Pact or Nexus of Power Upgrades?

Pact to me seems like too situational Upgrade to pay even that single Soulstone for. Am I blind for not seeing it's value? Does it's value depend on player's preferences and playstyle? For what models do you consider the Upgrade when you are hiring them?

And Nexus of Power? When do you take it?

Thank you :)

Nexus of Power initially was an incredible upgrade for Henchmen.  Originally it healed 2 after resolving you using a SS, even on prevention.  Meaning you could use it on SS prevention, even if you only stopped 1 damage you then healed 2 after resolving using the SS.  It meant that Neverborn henchmen were incredible tanks, or could stand near a master and make them really tanky.  My Henchmen games were often led by Bad Juju back in those days with Nexus and Aether Connection, making him a real hard to shift leader.  So it was really popular and was showing up on like 75-85% of lists on the Forums.  A bit reason to change it end up being in my opinion was you were going to have to design every Neverborn henchmen/possible master around the upgrade.  You also would always have to consider what other Henchmen might show up such as Taelor. 

Pact... was never popular.  It really needed to be an upgrade that had a primary ability and then another ability to either discard it or get something on the model's death.  The problem is the place that Black Jokers come up most often for a model is on the damage flip as they often flip one card for their attack and two for damage.  And if it is a negative damage flip you still cannot cheat it making it kind of mute. 

The only place Nexus really has anymore is on a Merc henchmen like Taelor.  That way if you are at like 2wds left you can use a SS on defense, if they hit you and reduce you to 1wd you will heal 1wd after the attack is resolved.  It will make her hard to kill as long as you have SS though with out any other form of healing or damage reduction it will only go so far.  Honestly they kind of double wacked Nexus of power by reducing the heal to 1 rather than 2 and denying Damage Prevention.  It really should have been one or the other in my opinion *Or been removed entirely and re-written as something else*.

I'll always take Pact whenever I'm running Dreamer. With Dreams of Pain I'm never trying to summon anything unless I have the card in hand for it so the only thing that stalls the summoning engine is the Black Joker, and with Restless Dreams having the Black Joker show up on the turns when you really need Chompy out can leave the Dreamer in a very bad position.

With A Thousand Faces available now I doubt I'll ever attach Pact directly to any other model.

Pact is Insurance, pure and simple. For a lot of models there isn't 1 critical action that must work, so you can probably not bother, but soemtimes models are flipping enough cards, and doing important enough things that failing 1 action due to the black joker ruins your game plan completly. 

I've had several games where a black joker has made a huge difference, eitehr that last Summons on the dreamer to allow him to turn to Chompy, or a failed Horror duel from my master, or even the last attack against them when I had the card in my hand to make sure they miss. 

There are some lists where I would never take it, the cost to level of effect is not high enough, but there are lists where it can be worth it. depending on what I'm hoping to achieve, and how important some actions are. 

Pact is an upgrade I welcome on Bag of Props Collodi about 50% of the time, Summoning dreamer often, and Barbarous. Nexus of Power I have used a few times on Vasalisa with a Bag of Props Collodi however the upgrade is, since it's (unarguably needed) errata, is unimpressive and usually not worth the cost in my personal opinion. 

I would add Lucius to that list. His once per turn (1) What Lackeys Are For and most of the time his (1) Issue Orders are very important and really must happen. Flipping a Black Joker at the wrong (right?) time has cost me at least two games in my first days of playing him. Unfortunately there is rarely a time when I have the SS to take the Pact on Lucius :(

• Like 1