Learning to use Reva

I tried Bete in a Stake a Claim game the other night and while precision deployment is nice, the opponent can snipe the Candle and you either have to hold off on dropping Bete or deploy in a potentially disadvantageous position. The Candle being slow doesn't help (but that is a balancing feature after all :D )

Will try Killjoy is a game though, Collect the Bounty seems like a good place! 

I can see grabbing a trapper to ping some early damage off, or maybe even kill a weaker model for a corpse downfield.

While you could do that or even this

That and if you think about it, turn 1 if you want. You can summon a Corpse Candle 8" away from reva, push it 5" (make it explode or what ever if you want) if you do kill it, add another 1" plus reva's 3" range, thats (by my count) 17" top of turn 1, with 2 AP (and a 0) attack on reva available..

It is cheaper and easier to just attach her 1SS Guises of Death upgrade to place a free Corpse Candle way up field. Doing this, she has a threat range of up to 31", 10" for a double Walk, 18" for Strength of the Fallen, 3" for Eternal Reaping and Life Drain. Granted a really heavily featured board (read as with lots of Ht4+ Blocking Terrain) could limit this but you would know that before you decided to go this route.

There's always a crooligan sacrifice. Or candle sacrifice. Run them up field, lock up your opponent's from moving as easily, forcing them to use AP to deal with the crooligan or potentially cheat for disengaging strikes. 

It allows a quick release on KJ or Bete, though it's probably sub-optimal play.

I think Blood Mark is one of her stronger upgrades, since it gives pseudo from the shadows to a corpse candle and lets you shove people around with the potential for a free (0). 

If you're running spirits mixed with the crew this could be nice. Just need to balance the relative lack of corpse markers.

Saturday's Game is done and gone. Opponent conceded after Turn 3 but here are some thoughts regarding Reva and her crew:

Shieldbearers: Everytime i use the SBers i like them more and more. Using Fetid's advice i deployed them around Reva to take advantage of Vigor and Blood Mark, instead of trying to deploy them with Toshiro. I left Toshiro behind and as a result i still was able to use vigor shenanigans but had many more Soulstones remaining. Their big draw for me is their Chosen ability. Having a pseudo HTK and dropping a corpse before they die, as well as the added utility of the upgrades, gives them alot of value. Due to a lack of models i've been fielding 3 at a time which i feel is too much so when i have a bigger variety i'll most likely only take 2.

Chiaki: Not part of Reva's crew but i've been trying her out with Reva. Obviously her condition removal and healing are good, but this last game i was trying to focus more on passing out slow and insignificant in conjunction with Maniacal Laugh on Reva to take advantage of Activation Control and a large AP advantage. Chiaki worked out well for what i wanted... really well. After talking with my opponent after the game we decided i would shelve Reva, Chiaki, and her crew for awhile as each game against her was an NPE. 

Vincent: I love Vincent and his options but i am having trouble enjoying his options until around Turn 3 when his damage output increase with his triggers.

Reva: This time i deployed Reva with Maniacal Laugh, Blood Mark, and Beyond Death. Firstly, Omen was correct about Maniacal Laugh. Turn 2 i used Beyond Death to charge Reva closer to the center and, after dealing alot of damage to a Dawn Serpent, i Mwahahahaed (not sure how to spell that) for 4 mindless zombies. It added alot more flexibility to Reva's attack options and allowed me alot more freedom in my responses. Blood Mark i actually didn't use much this game. I love the upgrade and the push and 0 it can provide but as the scheme was Turf War and i already had a small horde of zombies so early i didn't need to push anyone. I am still unsure about Beyond Death. It did allow me to to move alot and effectively gain an extra AP for Reva. At this point all i can say is that it i need more time to use it, though using it more has helped me to remember that Strength of the Fallen isn't the only range shenanigan she has. She has a charge of 10 as well.

On a side note i didn't use the Corpse Candles' 0 for + to damage flips like i talked about earlier. There was no need to so i just used them to move corpses around, card cycling, and chain activations.

Saturday's Game is done and gone. Opponent conceded after Turn 3 but here are some thoughts regarding Reva and her crew:Shieldbearers: Everytime i use the SBers i like them more and more. Using Fetid's advice i deployed them around Reva to take advantage of Vigor and Blood Mark, instead of trying to deploy them with Toshiro. I left Toshiro behind and as a result i still was able to use vigor shenanigans but had many more Soulstones remaining. Their big draw for me is their Chosen ability. Having a pseudo HTK and dropping a corpse before they die, as well as the added utility of the upgrades, gives them alot of value. Due to a lack of models i've been fielding 3 at a time which i feel is too much so when i have a bigger variety i'll most likely only take 2.

Their Chosen ability is better than Hard To Kill since nothing ignores it. The Corpse drop is another great benefit and one that makes Reva much less reliant on enemy models for Corpse Markers than the other Resser Masters. If I were running Reva I would seriously  consider more than just the base 3.

While Toshiro is good the Carrion Emissary does a lot more for Reva's crew. The Shards of Kythera really being the star of the show, adding another Mobile Corpse Marker for Reva to use while also denying a portion of the board.

Reva: This time i deployed Reva with Maniacal Laugh, Blood Mark, and Beyond Death. Firstly, Omen was correct about Maniacal Laugh. Turn 2 i used Beyond Death to charge Reva closer to the center and, after dealing alot of damage to a Dawn Serpent, i Mwahahahaed (not sure how to spell that) for 4 mindless zombies. It added alot more flexibility to Reva's attack options and allowed me alot more freedom in my responses. Blood Mark i actually didn't use much this game. I love the upgrade and the push and 0 it can provide but as the scheme was Turf War and i already had a small horde of zombies so early i didn't need to push anyone. I am still unsure about Beyond Death. It did allow me to to move alot and effectively gain an extra AP for Reva. At this point all i can say is that it i need more time to use it, though using it more has helped me to remember that Strength of the Fallen isn't the only range shenanigan she has. She has a charge of 10 as well.

On a side note i didn't use the Corpse Candles' 0 for + to damage flips like i talked about earlier. There was no need to so i just used them to move corpses around, card cycling, and chain activations.

Beyond Death is another great upgrade for Reva. There is a lot of ridiculousness that can come of that particular one, least of which is allowing Reva to Charge as a 1 AP action instead of 2. While the set up presents the main obstacle, Rotten belles can mitigate that quite a bit.

Her other Limited Upgrade, Guises of Death allows the 1st turn Alpha Strike, but I would argue Beyond Death is the better option. While not directly "Defensive Tech" it does allow Reva an easy way out of combats she doesn't want to be in (notice the "Different Target" she declares the Charge Action against doesn't have to be an enemy model). The other benefit is the incredible mobility and angles that can be achieved with this added trigger. She can Charge an enemy model at a threat range of 13" get the first attack, trigger on the second attack to Charge a whole new model 13" away from the first (depending on base size this is actually a little longer than 13").

Thankfully this Trigger is only once per activation. Even with that limitation though, it isn't unreasonable for Reva to be able to generate up to 5 Attack Actions with this single trigger (2 AP Charge on initial target resulting in 1 Attack on that target, Triggering on the second attack to shift targets, 2 Attacks on the new target from the "Free" Charge, she will still have 1 AP remaining for another Attack on the new target and also her 0 AP Attack Action for the fifth and final attack).

I think her standard build will feature Maniacal Laugh (to make removing those Corpse Markers more difficult while also making them mobile and adding to the activation pool), Beyond Death (for the mobility and difficult to anticipate charge lanes), and Litany of the Fallen (for non-reducible damage) as opposed to Guises of Death and Blood Mark. While those are nice and have their uses they really don't offer a whole lot other than perhaps moving her offensive capability one round earlier.

When I pilot her my list will be:

Reva (4 SS Cache)

-Beyond Death

-Litany of the Fallen

-Maniacal Laugh

Vincent St. Claire

-Deal with Death

-Necrotic Preperation

Carrion Emissary

-Carrion Conflux

Shield Bearer

Shield Bearer

Rotten Belle

Rotten Belle

Crooligan

I think i will enjoy Beyond Death more as i get better at the game, and eventually choose it as my preferred upgrade. At least with me you nailed why i like Blood Mark and Guises of Death better right now: I enjoy being able to shoot out of corpses as fast as possible. Raising a small group of mindless zombies after triggering screaming death was very satisfying though and i'll just have to break my misconception about Reva only being an artillery unit. 

Also a quick rules clarification for those that are kind enough to answer: When Vincent shoots into an engagement does he have to flip for Mindless Zombies or does he count them as corpse markers, and thus ignore them, for the purpose of randomizing?

Edited by TheJoyInGaming
Clarity

Omen, for your particular build, If your taking deal with death, wouldn't my little helper be better on Vincent than necrotic preparation?

My Little Helper has some merit as does Unnerving Aura which I also considered, however I think Necrotic Preparation is the better augment for his natural build. None of them is really perfect though.

For example My Little Helper replaces Vincent with a Mindless Zombie upon death, which is nice but doesn't really offer a whole lot else. Unnerving Aura offers some potential to hurt an opponent should Vincent get locked in to engagement, but that is something you really don't want to happen since he doesn't have a Melee option, plus it is a bit at odds with his automatic Df Trigger which can push him outside of its range (unless your opponent is in base contact). Combined with the 0 Action that Deal with Death confers it makes even less sense. Necrotic Preparation seemed like the best option since it works well with his automatic Df Trigger, to bad he doesn't benefit from the other portion of the upgrade.

Smashed out 2 games with Reva on Saturday.

Game 1 was against a mate who rocked Sonnia (reincarnation, -ve to Casts from Witch hunters and flame wall), Frank, Handler, some stalkers and a crutch-stringer.

I had Reva (Man Laugh, Blood Mark and Guises of Death), Vince w/ (Deal w/ Death, MLH), Yin (with the +ve to disengage), Izamu, Crooligan and 2x Shield Bearers.

By the end of turn 2 Sonnia was dead, by the end of turn 3 most of the shit was off the table.

Starting vince in the middle of the board, within like 10” of Sonnia, popping off Dark Protection and a corpse candle at the start of the turn. Marker walked up first and popped, making my mate discard a card for fear of the +ve to hits. Then Vince activated and got Light at the End off on Frank and Sonnia). Reva then activated and put sonnia down to 3 wounds (would have been dead as I black jokered a damage). But suffice to say, it was bloody brutal. By the end of turn 3, everything Sans an Austringer and a witchling stalker were dead, for the loss of a shield bearer and crolligan.

Game 2 was against an Ironsides crew, with a Rail Golem, captain, 3 mages, gain and mouse. Ended up an amazingly fun 7-7 draw. Similar load out (going to drop the crooligan!) but vince’s (0) paid for itself again by not allowing a rail golem any use of armour, cue Reva killing it in an activation. And Yin.. OMG yin!! Like..is…just amazing…especially with MLH on the turn you really need reva to smack a couple of guys around!!

Also Reva does really need those stones, bloody ironsides used the (0) teleport action (lesson learnt there) and smacked the shit out of Reva. Luckily got initiative the next turn, and she then bolted a cheeky 21” inches away down the board (had under cover entourage). Amazing! And bloody fast on the shield bearers when a stone get’s burnt. Also amazing.

I had one shield bearer, that survived the game being attacked by 2 mages, and a metal gamin for 2-3 turns. Dear god are they bloody solid models!!

Over all still love the hell out of Reva. Will be Dropping the crooligan for either a necropunk or Chiaki the niece depending what I need. Also depending on how strats and schemes play out, I may swap Izamu out for the Carrion Emissary with MLH.

Also calling it now, MLH is one of the best upgrades in the game!

• Like 1

Starting vince in the middle of the board, within like 10” of Sonnia, popping off Dark Protection and a corpse candle at the start of the turn. Marker walked up first and popped, making my mate discard a card for fear of the +ve to hits. Then Vince activated and got Light at the End off on Frank and Sonnia). Reva then activated and put sonnia down to 3 wounds (would have been dead as I black jokered a damage).

I'm a little confused about how you managed to attack Sonnia with Reva threw the Candle's corpse with those activations... It doesn't seem like Sonnia would be in range of attacks through the corpse unless she walked into range herself. 

I'm a little confused about how you managed to attack Sonnia with Reva threw the Candle's corpse with those activations... It doesn't seem like Sonnia would be in range of attacks through the corpse unless she walked into range herself. 

I think the play is that you move it first activation, and then use its zero, killing it and dropping a corpse marker within 3 inches of your target. 

I think the play is that you move it first activation, and then use its zero, killing it and dropping a corpse marker within 3 inches of your target. 

You are spot on mate!

Ok so we are 8" away from Sonnia. Got initiative. Candle walks 5", Kills itself, places marker on 'far side' of base. so we're now at say 6", add in Reva's Melee Range of 3", giving you a whopping 9", thus, getting that model into the range of her attack.

Also if you're wondering about the 18" range, it was Flank Deployment, and we all know how nice and close that can get some times...

You are spot on mate!

Ok so we are 8" away from Sonnia. Got initiative. Candle walks 5", Kills itself, places marker on 'far side' of base. so we're now at say 6", add in Reva's Melee Range of 3", giving you a whopping 9", thus, getting that model into the range of her attack.

Also if you're wondering about the 18" range, it was Flank Deployment, and we all know how nice and close that can get some times...

OK, I don't have the book so this may be a very stupid question, but once the candle does all of that, what is stopping Sonia from blowing an AP to get out of the range of the corpse? Or can Reva always chain activate from a Corpse Candle?

I understand that. The problem is that Guises of Death says that you cannot place the Candle within 8" of another enemy model and a Candle's walk is only 4. Due to the wording the closest you can deploy from Sonnia is 8.1"; and after a walk and a 0 from the Candle the closest you could leave a corpse to her is 3.1".

Nothing, I don't think, but Sonnia won't have as much impact on her first turn activation then--can be worthwhile considering how high impact Sonnia can be. Also, since Reva won't have activated, you'll still have an opportunity to take a shot at Sonnia depending on later turn corpse placement/movement. The Reva threat also applies to non-Sonnia models, so with only a peon-totem's activation, you're controlling a nice little 7.1811" bubble.

The threat is greatly mitigated if Reva loses first turn initiative, but the corpse marker is still fairly useful.

Nothing, I don't think, but Sonnia won't have as much impact on her first turn activation then--can be worthwhile considering how high impact Sonnia can be. Also, since Reva won't have activated, you'll still have an opportunity to take a shot at Sonnia depending on later turn corpse placement/movement. The Reva threat also applies to non-Sonnia models, so with only a peon-totem's activation, you're controlling a nice little 7.1811" bubble.

The threat is greatly mitigated if Reva loses first turn initiative, but the corpse marker is still fairly useful.

Ok, good to know, it sounded bonkers for a bit. It certainly would cramp Sonia's style a bit though any sort of friendly push could get her out of the danger zone and make the area less relevant. Also, once people wise up, a bit of a staggered deployment with some chaf will be enough to keep your master safe from turn 1 shenanigans. Frankly, Reva seems scary on paper but I'm not sure she will hold up ince people get used to her trickery. I mean, I may be off bade but if I want to just wreck shit, McMourning seems to do more damage while also getting flesh constructs on the table.

Again, what stops sonnia from immediately activating out ofthe radius.

Absolutely nothing, but it forces her to spend AP moving in a direction she might not wish to. It might cause her to activate Sonia before she has any valid targets. Your opponent is reacting to you, not acting against you. And any AP she spends on walking is not an AP spent on blasting...

• Like 1

Absolutely nothing, but it forces her to spend AP moving in a direction she might not wish to. It might cause her to activate Sonia before she has any valid targets. Your opponent is reacting to you, not acting against you. And any AP she spends on walking is not an AP spent on blasting...

Oh, I agree, but this situation can easilly be mitigated on deployment so as to not be able to reach the master and terrain is still a thing. You will cause mayhem against someone not on guard, but once people get savy I'd expect it to be a lot less useful to send the candle forward that much instead of keeping it closer to the centre or next to objectives.