Corrgon´new Malifaux miniatures

Corrgon

Fantastic job on Jacob Lynch. Drawing the focal point upward with the lightening of the palette was an inspired choice. It makes the figure really mesh with the spectral skeleton. You definitely know your way around a color wheel tool, excellent pairings.  The whole piece is really evocative, great stuff.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Your Mr Tannen is so wrong. So very very wrong....

As some constructive criticism, I don't think your well thing was a success. It's a little too busy, and there isn't enough visual contrast betwen the well, dress, skin, and tentacles. It all just blurs together and doesn't stand out. Like if it'd been given blonde hair (bright and warm) white skin (dark and cool) pink or red tentacles (mid to bright warm) and kept the greyblue of the stones of the well (dark and cool) everything might have stood out more.

7 hours ago, ringsnake said:

Your Mr Tannen is so wrong. So very very wrong....

As some constructive criticism, I don't think your well thing was a success. It's a little too busy, and there isn't enough visual contrast betwen the well, dress, skin, and tentacles. It all just blurs together and doesn't stand out. Like if it'd been given blonde hair (bright and warm) white skin (dark and cool) pink or red tentacles (mid to bright warm) and kept the greyblue of the stones of the well (dark and cool) everything might have stood out more.

Thanks for the constructive criticism. You are not the only one who point at the lack of contrast of some of my models. Most times I just choose some colours that might look good at a model, do not have any painting theory background. I  can see that the depleted in well is one of the weaker models I painted. As for keepinkg the tentacles in flesh tone with just small purple dots, I wanted it to represent the loss of shape-shifting abilities  the Illuminaded had thanks to Brilliance (which I paint brightly coloured with a transition  from turquoise through blue, violet to magenta) leaving only malformed tentacled limbs. 

16 hours ago, Corrgon said:

Thanks for the constructive criticism. You are not the only one who point at the lack of contrast of some of my models. Most times I just choose some colours that might look good at a model, do not have any painting theory background. I  can see that the depleted in well is one of the weaker models I painted. As for keepinkg the tentacles in flesh tone with just small purple dots, I wanted it to represent the loss of shape-shifting abilities  the Illuminaded had thanks to Brilliance (which I paint brightly coloured with a transition  from turquoise through blue, violet to magenta) leaving only malformed tentacled limbs. 

I'm only repeating a critique that has been leveled at me on multiple occasions. :P

I think that there's a reason many of the best painters in the world rarely, if ever, play the games associated with the models they paint. Not only do they dedicate more time to that side of the hobby, but they make purely artistic decisions on models without letting much of the rules or background material interfere with their decisions. On a personal level, when I paint models I try to make artistic and aesthetic choices that work for the models, but intentionally go for ideas that will make the hard core gamers who are obsessed with the lore twitch. Hence my admiration for your basework on the Mr Tannen.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...