Some questions about my Ortega crew

Anung Un Rama

So bought the Perdita box, Abuela and a box of Austringers. So my 50ss crew for now is soemthing likes this

Perdita with Trick shooting

Enslaved Nephilim

Francisco with wade in

Abuela

Santiago

Papa Loco

2 Austingers

Which out of Abuela and Santiago would be the better choice for Hair trigger?

What do you suggest as my next purchase?

I've played a few games with Abuela and Hair trigger and it was very nice. Getting her with a "polite push" into position and releasing shotgun-hell.

I would suggest a box of pistoleros. They in my opinion a very nice addition to the family.

I'd say either Pistoleros or some melee-centric beater. A curveball would be to say Lady Justice's box for a Death Marshall or 2, or Hoffman's box for a Watcher (to ignore cover).

I think Pistoleros are almost criminally underutilised anyway, but for Perdita they provide a cheap Family model to i) Relocate to and ii) Reconnoitre/Interfere with. They can also help wheel Abuela about as their own (0) is very situational.

Beater-wise there's Peacekeepers and Executioners that spring to mind. Executioners are a lot more hit-and-miss due to Wk4, no armour and will not normally be generating any extra AP, but Perdita can at least help them out with Obey and, more importantly, her Totem. They can definitely shine when the stars align with Trail of Gore but never count on it. Hermanos de Armas can help too. A Peacekeeper is a bit more reliable, however, and can shoot with punishing results. A harpoon is the Guild's version of Lure.

After using him a bunch of games at the start of M2E Santiago sadly does not really see any table-time for me. He was my favourite minion in 1st edition but has become lacklustre in 2nd; some Perdita players even prefer Convict Gunslingers over Mr Angrychops. In the games I took him his Trigger Happy trigger was enough to not warrant Hair Trigger (remember his version of Trigger Happy is endless as long as you keep getting :mask), but I could see use for it. Out of the two I think I'd rather take it on Abuela though; her pushes help to get her into position to let loose. In saying that though don't forget that sometimes a Focussed shot from Abuela will provide better results with :blast

However, I normally take Hair Trigger on Nino or Papa if they're in attendance instead, but it's all down to taste.

Edit: The Brutal Emissary is another consideration of where to go to next, who'll be useful in any crew you choose to run down the track.

• 3 weeks later...

Now you have the Lady J box, don't overlook the Judge! He is a fantastic henchman, super durable, good damage spread and can reposition your models. Together, him and Francisco can reliably score hunting party, and pack enough useful upgrades to score/deny Show of Force (especially now we have Debt to the Guild, which is great on both).

Also, I obviously love the Pale Rider depending on the scheme pool. But I do struggle to get him into a Perdita crew, she is such a hungry master. Wants at least 3ss of upgrades and at least 3 extra cache, which really puts the squeeze on the rest of the crew. 

2 hours ago, fauxreigner said:

Now you have the Lady J box, don't overlook the Judge! He is a fantastic henchman, super durable, good damage spread and can reposition your models. Together, him and Francisco can reliably score hunting party, and pack enough useful upgrades to score/deny Show of Force (especially now we have Debt to the Guild, which is great on both).

Also, I obviously love the Pale Rider depending on the scheme pool. But I do struggle to get him into a Perdita crew, she is such a hungry master. Wants at least 3ss of upgrades and at least 3 extra cache, which really puts the squeeze on the rest of the crew. 

"At least 3ss of upgrades" is expensive?

*kind of boggles at that, since her masters usually demand 5ss' worth at least*

• Like 4

18 hours ago, admiralvorkraft said:

Yeah, Jack Daw, Hoffman, and McMourning have skewed my understanding of expensive masters.

You find McMourning expensive? I just run him with On the Clock and Plastic Surgery, and no extra cache so I find him to be very cheap compared to Perdita. Can't really justify Evidence Tampering anymore, since in GG2016 there are very few schemes that hinge on end-of-game markers.

4 minutes ago, admiralvorkraft said:

Evidence Tampering has Scalpel Slinging on it, which is pretty much my bread and butter.

Yeah.... I wish those abilities were separated. I would gladly pay 1ss for scalpel slinging, but not 2ss when the marker ability is basically deadweight. And I rarely find I need the masks that badly. Just a different play style I suppose. 

• Like 1

I like Drawn to Pain plus two soulstones just to feed masks to that trigger, so I can maybe bounce around the board mid-turn and not have to take Sebastian in order to set that up. Not that Sebastian is in any way bad, but if I'm playing a mobile master I want him mobile in the full 18" radius of a raptor shot.

And to bring this back to the Ortegas, in ten words or less: Imagine Papa Loco with HtW- and armor-ignoring blasts. ;)

McMourning wants masks and so do the Ortegas so I wouldn't give him more than one, maybe two at a time, but...