Give me a Rundown on Pandora (and Lynch as Neverborn)

TanakoSkyler22

Ten-Thunders player here.

I recently went to a tournament were I did not win but managed to get the the Translucent Green Pandora Crew box as a mystery box in a raffle. I plan to keep it, mostly to build my model collection for Malifaux but also get some additional choices when I get Jakob Lynch. Mostly for this decision,  I am trying to get the most for two factions and expand my collection as well.

Now, the main question that I had: What works well with Pandora with what I got, and how does she usually play? With that, how well does Lynch play in Neverborn in comparison to his Ten-Thunders version and what are some of the differences that are highlighted between the two versions. And with this considered, what are some purchases that I can use to fill out these two Master for Neverborn and my crew choices in general?

Thanks!
Tanako Skyler

Pandora's play style really is to be as big of a pain for your opponent as she can be.  She is offensive and meant to draw attention to her, in some ways like Misaki but different overall due to their rule sets.  She is not a back field or support master that can happily ignore the enemy to do their own thing but one that wants to be directly interacting with enemy pretty much every turn.   Some people like a control route with her, actively paralyzing models, dictating who activates, and picking away at their ability to win the VPs.  Others like a sort of, in your Face approach where they taunt their opponents to attack her as she is not easy to nail and makes them waste AP.  Others just use her to make big mean models drop dead.  Others like some mix of these.

Thanks to how flexible she is she can actually work with a lot of different models.  Some people favor stacking up on Wp debuffs or attacks to really level that advantage while others prefer to support her with a mostly melee force in case of bad match ups.  Some like crews that can support her, others like ones that can be independent of her letting her do her own thing and allow separation.  So a lot comes down to what people like doing with her.  I personally like having an Illuminated and Beckoner with her as they make a solid addition to her as the illuminated is pretty tough, decent on offense and the beckoner's attack works well with Pandora and it can support the Illuminated.  Nice addition is both work with Lynch well.  Another model I almost always take with Pandora is Iggy, he has been a big player for only 5ss every time.  He lets me get access to another Incite while having an additional layer of Martyr which has saved Pandora's bacon a few times *He can siphon off one point of damage and then she can prevent with SS, I have stopped a couple After Damaging triggers that way*.  I also like having access to Terror Tots for scheme running though an Insidious Madness could do it, the reason I prefer Terror Tots is I can get 2 for 8ss where if I wanted the back up for the Madness it is 10ss if I just go with them.  A lot of people like the Widow Weaver with her as she can really ramp up Pandora's Willpower attacks with her Web Markers, not to mention bringing some attacks of her own and some horror duels.  Really she is the sort that you can define how you want to play her and get models in that direction.

As for Lynch, my 10T and neverborn don't actually play that different.  Oh sure the models will vary but many still fulfill the roles they were designed for.  Your scheme runners are different and have different tricks but they are still a type of scheme runner.  Durability and Tie down is there but in different ways, Waldgeist compared to a T10 Brother.  The biggest difference for me really is the access to henchmen.  I prefer the 10T for henchmen choices more than Neverborn so I am less willing to use other Henchmen in that faction.  That said I like Iggy as an option and a lot of people like the Doppelganger on the Neverborn side.  So again it really comes down to taste.

• Like 1

Having started with Lynch and moved to Pandora... the first thing that comes to mind is 'be prepared to be hated'. :P

Teddy and Doppelganger are your friends. And if I'm being honest, Candy is pretty situational for her cost and takes an upgrade to be able to reliably heal.

Would Teddy be a good choice for adding later on, since Baby Cade and the bear seem to have a good synergy together. Saw a youtuber who plays Lynch as Neverborn take Terror Tots, which can definitely move fast  and act as scheme runners. Granted I would lose out on those playing Lynch a 10T, but I do have Torakage as potential scheme runners that are 3 SS more. 

And it seems Pandora can put a lot of hurt on people if they do not know how to face her. That said, she might need to have some things that helps her win WP duels. Along with that, the Illuminated can act as some of the heavy hitters if need be if her list needs it

Thinking after I get Lynch's crewbox, this might be my buy list:

Terror Tots
Teddy
Doppelganger
Iggy
Insidious Madness

One important part to remember about Pandora - don't see her WK and Cg of 4 and think she's slow. Using her WP7 as DF gives her a good chance to win DF duels, and winning those DF duels with WP counts as a WP duel for her, which gives her a push. I've had her cross the board from being attacked with ranged attacks and winning the duels.

On 7/18/2016 at 8:32 PM, -Loki- said:

One important part to remember about Pandora - don't see her WK and Cg of 4 and think she's slow. Using her WP7 as DF gives her a good chance to win DF duels, and winning those DF duels with WP counts as a WP duel for her, which gives her a push. I've had her cross the board from being attacked with ranged attacks and winning the duels.

Since her 0 is also a Wp action, and on a Mask it can be used twice, it's often worth it to spend a high mask/stone to move her 8 inches as a 0 action... it's not simply a reactive ability!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chryspainthemum said:

Since her 0 is also a Wp action, and on a Mask it can be used twice, it's often worth it to spend a high mask/stone to move her 8 inches as a 0 action... it's not simply a reactive ability!

I did not think of that. Noted!

On 7/20/2016 at 5:47 PM, chryspainthemum said:

Just a note: it's a tomes, not a mask. 

On 7/20/2016 at 5:47 PM, chryspainthemum said:

I used this in my last game with Pandora.  Strategy was Turf War and I made it from my deployment zone to practically the other side of the Turf War Zone on turn 1.  Using two walks and 3 pushes from WP duels.  Getting a Box Opens/Fears Given Form Pandora in your face turn 1 kind of puts a kink in people's plans.

10 hours ago, Chris Rivers said:

I used this in my last game with Pandora.  Strategy was Turf War and I made it from my deployment zone to practically the other side of the Turf War Zone on turn 1.  Using two walks and 3 pushes from WP duels.  Getting a Box Opens/Fears Given Form Pandora in your face turn 1 kind of puts a kink in people's plans.

All I have now is her cards, some of the upgrades (not Fears Given Form but definitely The Box Opens) and the models; not sure what Fears Given Form does since I have not seen it or only once before. Looking to get the generalist upgrade deck so I can use some of the other items from other factions for my Ten Thunder crews to play both. That and it gives me access to the Neverborn upgrades. 

Fears given form is a defence 14 duel for all models that activate within a 3" radius of the model. As the model is using defence and not WP it doesn't trigger the additional damage, but it is a very useful addition to her abilities as costs no AP. It's a 1ss upgrade and I can't remember how many you can have as I don't have the card, but it's certainly not rare 1.  

8 hours ago, Rekthaur said:

Rare 2. I am using The box opens, Aether protection and Fears given form. Makes her somewhat durable, but i wouldn't throw her on turn 1 except if i got an exceptional hand. But i am a noobie :P

I had some blocking terrain coverage that allowed this, plus Nekima protecting her flank.  I don't think my opponent realized how fast she could be on him.

It's different. I prefer voices most of the time, but there is something extremely satysfying about getting into the middle of a crew, plus 3 sorrows, and x3 inflict.

The box, with the fear makes her much more durable, specially against minions, since it will force your opponent to cheat pretty often.

Both would seem like pains to deal with. Box Opens and Fearsmore for locking down an area (which is good for schemes that are good for that and Turf War). Other combo with Voices seems to be strong for taking care of their heavy hitters. Would need to play but mostly initial observations from what you guys are saying.

My next game, I'm definitely taking voices. 

Going to run double teddy and Kade. 

Paralyze their heavy hitters and further control with iggy using incite. Let teddies attack the weak models that aren't paralyzed.

I wish the poltergeist was playable.. But Primordial magic is a thing...

Question, if I'm bringing double teddy, should I bring doppleganger instead of Kade?  

16 minutes ago, dalymiddleboro said:

It's so many points for what it does though... 

I think its fine at 5ss. It competes with Iggy, Sorrows, and Insidious Madnesses. I think it has a place in that group. I think its quite ok for some jobs, but in general Prim Magic is the better choice.

Neverborn got heaps of WP attacks. It puts opponents on negatives on those. Sweep in on something, preferably later in turns and make it suffer. The options are endless. Paralyze a master with a Sorrow, kill one with Pandora, make the Widow Weaver even scarier than it is. The Poltergeist is also a exaggerated threat. Opponents will gun for it since it got potential to screw things over, thus it is a perfect lurker who can lure the opponent to over extend.