Lucius's background

The Warlock

Last night I was reading through Shifting Loyalties and (spoilers) there's a part where the previous/current at the time Governor General thinks to himself about forcefully removing Lucius's mask and exposing him for what he really is. My question is how and when did the GG figure out his secretary wasn't entirely human?

Rising powers 252 to 253

Governor general to Lucius " The scholars that witnessed your transformation during the event?"

Lucius: "Disposed of. Sorry" he said, correcting his terminology. "Missing, Sir. Missing"

The Governor nodded, turning back to stare down the long sloping hill to Malifaux, a mile distant.

"When these men have finished repairing the study, they will find themselves missing, too."

Ok, so it happens off-screen. Still I'd like to know how the GG clued on to Lucius, as aren't mimic generally careful about their disguises and take great lengths to no be found out. Still, it'll be interesting to see how much influence our masked mimic has over the new GG.

Thanks for the replies guys :)

To be completely honest I suspect the Governor General had known Lucius for some time and very likely knew well before the Event he was not 'Normal'.  Otherwise he might have been more surprised or leery.  I mean Lucius has been working with him for some time and So I suspect Lucius has been allied with the Governor since before he became the Governor *possible even before the GG was just trying to wrestle control over Malifaux in the early days*.  It would not be surprising in that initial time where the Governor was trying to gain control of the city if Lucius had entered into some pact to get his support.

"The Event" was a forced transformation, the aetheric shock rave that rippled over Malifaux was felt or acknowledged by all significant personalities.
It seems plausible that the Governor general was privy of at least some of Lucius' secrets prior to this given that he palms it off as "your transformation".

The Governor general later undoes the effects of the event, or at least transposes said energy into new vassals in his cataclysmic attempt to manifest his own avatar.

The fact that Lucius and Zoraida seem to have had a hand in the ceremonies and rituals the Governor General was completing leading up to this point makes me think, or at least hope that there is an alliance there, which would explain Lucius meeting with a waldgeist in the Austringer story.
Lucius' response to the Governor generals failure - dancing the gavotte - shows that perhaps the Governor general had become too cumbersome a tool to manipulate and a growing threat to Lucius' own power base.

Lilith certainly reacts with an amount of distain during "un-mask un-mask" when she referred to Lucius as some form of Vermin after one such ceremony takes place, one which Zoraida assisted by preventing an Arcanist terrorist attack.

So I'm inclined to believe there is no love lost between Lilith and Lucius but that he may have an understanding with Zoraida, one which perhaps even Lilith is unaware of.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, MetaphoricDragn said:

Hmm, now i'm curious.  Are there any details anywhere of what happened to Lucius during the event?  about what his manifestation was like?

The quote above from "rising powers" is all we have because he was only a henchman at the time so never got an avatar.