Jorogumo: recent experience

Skitt_Happens

I thought I would share a recent experience with you guys:

I played a game last week, and picked my list simply by what I felt I needed a bit of experience with. The pool was: Guard the Stash; Convict Labour; A Quick Murder; Leave your Mark; Show of Force and Take Prisoner. My list was:

McCabe w/ Badge of Speed, Glowing Saber, Promises (7 cache)

Genbu w/ Hidden Agenda

Jorogumo

Chiaki w/ Pull of the Grave

2 Oiran

Luna

As the post title suggests, it's the Jorogumo I want to talk about. After building my conversion/proxy earlier this year I have put her on the table 3-4 times and on all but 1 occasion been happy with her. Usually she gets focused on and murdered early, but takes a lot down with her. The addition of Genbu, meant she was not the single target in this game.

Between turns 1 and 4 I was able to reactivate her every turn, she almost always had nimble or the glowing sabre and :+fate to ml, and in that time she took out: a void wretch, a death Marshall, an abomination, Tara and finished off the Nothing Beast (previously battered by an Oiran with magic sword). By the end of turn 4, I had tabled my opponent. Jorogumo was on full wounds, although she did stop to snack on the abomination on her murder tour of the board.

I think I might love her...

Edited by Skitt_Happens
pic removed because i need the storage space
  • Like 6

A of all, that conversion looks amazing! Great job!

Secondly wise, Black Flash on a jorogumo or dawn serpent is so nuts. You essentially are reactivating an enforcer, and a particularly hard hitting one at that. I haven't been able to keep one alive long enough to go on a murder rampage like yours, but I now at least have a goal to try to macth.

Thanks - very proud of the conversion (hens why I shamelessly stuck a photo at the end of the post).

I've had success using the Dawn Serpent before with McCabe, but nothing like this. I think it is the (0) attack, which just feels like an extra AP. What made the real difference in this game, I believe, was possibly Genbu: it was the first time I'd used him (or his Izamu shaped cousin ) and predictably, completely forgot A Quick Murder was in the pool and threw him headlong into the enemy crew. He died turn 2 giving away 3 vp, but he took a desolation engine with him and took nearly the entire opponent crew to take down. This meant a) there was no pressure on Joro until turn 3 and B) she was able to flank the opposition and pick her targets. There was a beautiful moment when she nimbled through the Nothing Beast to beat down Tara on the other side.

I would be surprised if anyone on here thought the Jorogumo was weak, but thought it worthwhile to highlight how rediculous they can be.

29 minutes ago, Yvarre said:

Right.  I can't wait til they are released.  I'm curious what people's experiences with them outside of a McCabe crew are, though.

I have used her with Shenlong, but that dastardly McMourning won all the important initiative flips so I lost the jorogumo and Yin at the beginnings of turns where Shen would otherwise have healed them up and it was all very sad for me...

23 hours ago, Da Git said:

@Skitt_Happens Did you scratch build that spider half or is it from another model?

Recipe for a "Skitt-Happens-agumo":

One part Oiran torso. The legs make for a sweet MisakI Conversion. 

One Wyrd lamppost.

One Secret Weapon base, to taste.

Length of 0.5mm aluminium rod for Web. 

One pipe cleaner, with furry stuff burnt off, to create posable structure for legs.

Green stuff and/or modeling putty for everything else. I find Milliput much easier to work with then actual Green Stuff.

On 25/06/2016 at 0:01 PM, Mutter said:

I'm in the process of building three Jorugumo for a McCabe list ... :D

... that is beautiful!

On 25/06/2016 at 0:16 AM, Yvarre said:

Right.  I can't wait til they are released.  I'm curious what people's experiences with them outside of a McCabe crew are, though.

My next biggest success was in an interference game. I took a Misaki/Smoke and Shadows list and teleported Joro deep into enemy lines turn 1. My opponent was so worried about letting her rampage that he resorted to feeding her models to keep her where she was: Datsue Ba? Why, thank you very much! Om-nom-nom.

While no where near as spectacular, being able to place a Jorogumo pretty much anywhere on the board end of turn 1 can force your opponent to have to make some unpleasant desicions.

• Like 1

Yea, they seem a reason to aggressively try to draw and keep cards to make Shadow Step work.

I just faced off against 2 in a McCabe crew playing Lynch.  On turn one, a nimble Joro with reactivate got my Illuminated down to 2, forcing me to activate Lynch out of Sequence and one shot it, giving up 3 points for frame for murder.  The Illuminated healed back to full in the next two turns, and I brought the other Joro down hard.  They are certainly scary, though, especially with nimble and reactivate.  I can't wait to field them even more...

Okay, got to play the 'Three Jorogumo' (sounds like a movie title) list against Sonnia last night. Usually, Sonnia is a bit of my arch-nemesis, but this game not so much. At first, it seemed bad, but only because we made the mistake of allowing Sonnia to cast into combat without randomizing. She flipped the RJ with a double negative flip and that way killed the Jorogumo before he was able to reactivate, kill the Witchling and eat his fill. :)

If we would have played it correctly, the Sonnia player would most likely have given up bottom of turn 1.

The lateral movement of the list (including the Shadow Emissary) is mind-boggling. With up to four pushes from the equipment, the pushes from the Jorogumo themselves and the extra push from Emissary, plus Fast & Nimble, the list is in your face turn 1. And the spiders are both durable and heavy hitting, and it's really, really frustrating for the opponent to get one down below htk only for it to eat its fill and fill back up. And when they finally manage to put one down - there is still two more waiting ... :D

And the big bases combined with the 3" engagement range means, it's really easy to push the spiders right in the middle of numerous enemies (had we not made the mistake, Sonnia would have had to randomize between the Jorogumo and three of her own guys to attack it) and basically pin big parts of the opposing force. If they split up too much, they are also easy prey.

Will definitely play this list again, and I don't think Yamaziko and Smoke & Shadows (that was the original idea mentioned in the Schemes & Stones podcast for a 'Shuffle' ninja list) is needed. I much prefer the Emissary for the extra equipment, the extra equipment push, the Fast and his overall utility.

• Like 1

Should I feel bad I don't know who Genbu is?

Literally as I typed his name, I realized it was Izamu, but in turtle form.  Yay memory!

Either way, sounds like a funny game.  I haven't played McCabe much, but I hear he does some nasty things with Minions.

• Like 1

List was:

Ten Thunders - 50ss Crew

Lucas McCabe -- 2SS Cache
+Badge Of Speed - 2ss
+Promises - 1ss
+Glowing Saber - 2ss

• Jorogumo - 9ss
  • Jorogumo - 9ss
  • Jorogumo - 9ss
  • Shadow Emissary - 10ss
    +Conflux Of Exploration - 0ss
  • Yamaziko - 7ss
    +Smoke & Shadows - 1ss

Emissary had Elixier of Life as the bonus upgrade.

I went without scheme runners because of Guard the Stash, Show of Force and Convict Labor (don't remember the other schemes) and because I wanted to try out Yamaziko, but I didn't use her once.

• Like 1

My proxy method was:

(1) Take the spider from a GW Forest Goblin Spider Rider

(2) Realize it's way too small; try bending and cutting the front legs so it'll be rearing up some and be taller

(3) It's too short still. Better get a freakin' huge scenic base for it to go on

(4) Still too short...let's add a full inch of green stuff in there in-between the spider and the Oiran torso.

(5) 784995_sm-Conversion%2C%20Jorogumo%2C%20

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Mutter said:

List was:

Ten Thunders - 50ss Crew

Lucas McCabe -- 2SS Cache
+Badge Of Speed - 2ss
+Promises - 1ss
+Glowing Saber - 2ss

• Jorogumo - 9ss
  • Jorogumo - 9ss
  • Jorogumo - 9ss
  • Shadow Emissary - 10ss
    +Conflux Of Exploration - 0ss
  • Yamaziko - 7ss
    +Smoke & Shadows - 1ss

Emissary had Elixier of Life as the bonus upgrade.

I went without scheme runners because of Guard the Stash, Show of Force and Convict Labor (don't remember the other schemes) and because I wanted to try out Yamaziko, but I didn't use her once.

I like that. A lot. I can see how smoke and shadows would be useful in some strat/scheme combos, but otherwise the crew has plenty of maneuverability on it's own.

May I suggest swapping Badge of Speed and Elixir of Life over? In most cases the Emissary is not going to need regeneration turn 1, but can always use Nimble. Activate SE, nimble, do whatever with other 2 ap, pass badge to a jorogumo, activate nimble jorogumo, do your thing, activate McCabe, take back badge, black flash 2nd jorogumo, give 2nd jorogumo badge, get nimble ability 4 times on turn 1.

The Kamaitachi might be a great addition to this crew instead of Yama: extra card draw, pushes and healing; snipe a model to put burning +2, Emissary then does (0) to lower victims df by 2.... Jorogumo, CHARGE!

17 hours ago, valhallan42nd said:

Anyone looking to make a current proxy...

This model is toooooooooo large.

https://www.reapermini.com/TheCraft/50

I got that particular lady in plastic either to proxy or for parts. Soon as she arrived I put her next to another Malifaux model and realised it just wasn't going to work.

May still come back to her and try to make her fit. Depends how many models are going to be in the Jorogumo box with conflicting reports of 1-3 models per box.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Skitt_Happens said:

May I suggest swapping Badge of Speed and Elixir of Life over? In most cases the Emissary is not going to need regeneration turn 1, but can always use Nimble. Activate SE, nimble, do whatever with other 2 ap, pass badge to a jorogumo, activate nimble jorogumo, do your thing, activate McCabe, take back badge, black flash 2nd jorogumo, give 2nd jorogumo badge, get nimble ability 4 times on turn 1.

My side of the board was fairly dense with terrain, so I wanted the Elixier to basically give everybody Unimpeded to clear the area, activating the Emissary fairly late (just before the beater Jorogumo, I think), but in general your setup makes more sense ...

And yes, I looked at the super-weasel, too. I guess if one doesn't really need Luna and the hound (which would be my normal stand-ins for Yamaziko), the weasel is a great alternative for that list ...

I was thinking if Yamaziko and S&S is a bit superflous with McCabe and all his mobility, how about a master who'd really appreciate a bit of ninja-jumping?

How about Lynch - this is a pretty Spartan list I cobbled together. Not sure if the extra beater in form of Huggy makes up for all the cool equipment the Jorogumo would get from McCabe, but then Lynch is a scarier proposition than McCabe, too.

What do you guys think? Conflux of Hunger for the extra push and plus flips against Brilliance or Conflux of Shadow to give Jorogumo plus flips and the opportunity to draw two cards for a SS (although the list doesn't have many of those ... :D)?

Ten Thunders - 50ss Crew

Jakob Lynch -- 2SS Cache
+Woke Up With A Hand - 2ss
+The Rising Sun - 2ss

• Hungering Darkness - 0ss
    +Hidden Agenda - 0ss
  • Jorogumo - 9ss
  • Jorogumo - 9ss
  • Jorogumo - 9ss
  • Shadow Emissary - 10ss
    +Conflux Of Hunger - 0ss
  • Yamaziko - 7ss
    +Smoke & Shadows - 1ss

• Like 1

I just ran McCabe at Bragging rights Team event, going 2-2-1.  I took McCabe every round (I am still pretty new), and took at least one Jurogomo in every list.   They are great to use, esp with nimble.  I'll do a quick review here.

Game 1, against Von Schill.  Jorogomo(s) killed 2 librarians, trapper, void wretch, Trunk, and effigy, but also in general kept models locked down while I did other stuff with McCabe and Scheme runners.   They never took too much damage, or if they did, had a weak model nearby to eat fill on.

Game 2, against seamus.   Took 1 this time, second replaced by dawn serpent.  Tried to use it as something that needed to be dealt with while McCabe passed the sabre around to dogs to get work done,  however, McCabe got lured too far away and lost the sabre, then game went downhill.

Game 3, against Lynch (played by Yvarre above).  In which the main weakness of Jurogomo is revealed, if you have a junk hand, Ml5 can really hurt you.   My Jorogumo was hurt, and moved up to kill the illuminated to eat fill(whereby it would be much harder for lynch to come kill it).  And if that worked, he reactivates then goes after lynch or sensei.  Sadly stalled out not killing the illuminated, which ended up being the main factor in the game, I could get my dogs up that flank for leave mark.

Game 4, against Collodi.   This was a bad matchup for me, Collodi with mimics and trapper for focus sniping shots always, plus the shooting if i use pushes to advance.   I mainly stayed hidden this game and played for the draw.

Game 5 against Dreamer.  First Jorogomo killed Cornelius(or whatever squidface's name is), then due to a missunderanding on my part as to what terrain was hazardous, I lost it to Teddy.   Second Jorogomo killed, Teddy, Hooded Rider, Insidious madness, illuminated and helped score guard the stash.

Main weakness for them is no armor(so high min dmg attacks will take them down) and then Ml5 can sometimes be a problem.  However, McCabe can help with both of these issues due to Promises and being able to give out reactivate.   HtK usually makes it predictable as to when I'll need to activate one (or reactivate) and eat fill can really be a huge turn off for people trying to kill it with a Ml model.

2 hours ago, Mutter said:

I was thinking if Yamaziko and S&S is a bit superflous with McCabe and all his mobility, how about a master who'd really appreciate a bit of ninja-jumping?

How about Lynch - this is a pretty Spartan list I cobbled together. Not sure if the extra beater in form of Huggy makes up for all the cool equipment the Jorogumo would get from McCabe, but then Lynch is a scarier proposition than McCabe, too.

I've been thinking about trying the same list ever since they spoiled Jorogumo and the Emissary. The only difference is that I'd prefer not taking Woke Up With A Hand and going naked with Lynch (4ss with him is actually a lot :P), or swapping it for for Wings of Wind for more mobility.

On 30.6.2016 at 2:29 PM, Skitt_Happens said:

May still come back to her and try to make her fit. Depends how many models are going to be in the Jorogumo box with conflicting reports of 1-3 models per box.

I asked the question about that, because I found conflicting information on preorder pages, too, and got this as an answer:

13178621_10156930363115154_7813605989536