Ulix past the starter box?

Steamage Dandy

Makes me wonder why they put the wild boars in there with him? Instead of piglets. Maybe he does better with more wild boars? They do sell those separately as well.

I thought about buying his box today, but I already have everything in it, except him and penelope =/

I'd highly recommend slop haulers, even just in general, they're awesome!

The Wild Boars were included with his crew box because he is the best Master to run them. No other master can really take advantage of the Wild Boars abilities like he can.

That said I think the Sow is a really solid choice with him, you will need a box of Piglets as well though.

Piglets and Warpigs - for summoning
Hog whisperer - Reactivating your 50mm pigs, re-activating warpigs are a thing to behold.
Slop haulers - Healing Ulix and his wounded summoned models.
Gracie/the sow - Tanky models that can be used to summon off of or to plod along and punch a hole in enemy lines.
Taxidermist - if you ever have the room - because positive damage flips are incredible and stuffed pigs can be a nuisance.
Piggapult - Because of Snipers and Austringers.
Mechanical pork chop - when released 7 stones for a 50mm pig you can summon off of + Walking rage machine.

Wild boars seem to be quite effective in tying up or dealing with enemy from the shadows models, but I have never felt the need for more than 2 at most.

Super core important Ulix models (other than what comes in his box set)

• Piglets - preferably more than 3, depending on how summony you want to go
  • War Pig - I've only ever had one summoned at a time, but a second one isn't terrible, particularly if you want to hire one
  • Slop Hauler - mostly for healing, you can replace it with a Lightning Bug if you have one and no Slop Haulers but I generally prefer Sloppies for healing in an Ulix crew

Great & Common Picks

• Gracie - she's a nice strong model and you can summon off her in a pinch, although you probably want to use a different pig as your main summon target
  • The Sow - another pretty powerful melee beater who has CHARGE 9 WHY DOES A HEAVILY PREGNANT PIG HAVE CHARGE 9, anyway you can use her as a summon target too, but she works pretty well in combat
  • Merris - as mentioned, can drop scheme markers easily for summoning but is also generally basically the best scheme runner in faction, and can protect your pigball from :blasts and :pulses

Nice to have (probably future purchases)

• Pigapult - very useful for Reconnoiter/Interference, generally decent otherwise. Summoning piglets as ammo is generally quite an investment though imo, I prefer to use it to spread out my models.
  • Lenny - generally a really good model, can throw your piglets around and guarantee :ram for Ulix's Shot in the Rear action off his bow upgrade. Plus his damage reduction aura applies to War Pig summoning and Ulix's take 2 damage to heal 2 on friendly pigs action (not summoning Piglets though :c).
  • Sammy LaCroix - One of my personal faves, her main draw is that she can hold one of Ulix's upgrades. He has a lot of stuff to do and not enough AP to do it with, so being able to delegate an action off his upgrade to her can be pretty nice. She also has some Wp-targeting damage and control of her own which is good.
  • Burt Jebson - Just an all round great model, arguably one of the best in faction. He works nicely as a self-reliant beater or shooter, and can push piggies around with a built in trigger.

(on the topic of why wild boars in ulix box - I suspect it also has something to do with how wild boars are totally new for M2e, and piglets were already released both in 1st edition and in wave 1 of second edition where boars came out in wave 2)

• Like 5

Thought I'd mention Old Cranky as he's become my totem of choice for Ulix as of late. Penelope is fantastic and offers so much for 2 stones, but I think Cranky is one of the best totems in the game.

He beefs up defense and willpower, which can go a long way, and in a crew with lots of movement tricks to keep him close. His card draw is worth half a stone per turn, 1 if you keep him close to Sammy ( I second Dogmantra's feelings on her. She can hold the bow and free up Ulix for summoning and prods).

He's significant so can drop markers for warpig summons or scheme marker related schemes.

He's got a gun that does a decent amount of damage. 

And lastly, he can replenish soulstones, which can be huge late game and can allow you to spend those stones a little more freely.

1 hour ago, anumberone said:

He's significant so can drop markers for warpig summons or scheme marker related schemes.

Holy sh.....

I never ever thought that a 4 SS totem with so much useful abilities could even drop scheme marker and make interact?

that's insane...

3 hours ago, Dogmantra said:

• Slop Hauler - mostly for healing, you can replace it with a Lightning Bug if you have one and no Slop Haulers but I generally prefer Sloppies for healing in an Ulix crew

Is that super important? I've played them only twice, not with ulix, but I felt they were slow.

I mean, they couldn't keep the same "speed" of other pieces.

Do you saddle them ahead or push somehow....or ?

I've played with Wong...maybe that wasn't their best team comp.

9 minutes ago, Blacks85 said:

Is that super important? I've played them only twice, not with ulix, but I felt they were slow.

I mean, they couldn't keep the same "speed" of other pieces.

Do you saddle them ahead or push somehow....or ?

I've played with Wong...maybe that wasn't their best team comp.

Pig ladders aid in their mobility quite a bit, though Saddle is another option as well.

@Dogmantra " The Sow - another pretty powerful melee beater who has CHARGE 9 WHY DOES A HEAVILY PREGNANT PIG HAVE CHARGE 9, anyway you can use her as a summon target too, but she works pretty well in combat"

I just have to say, this made me laugh :) It really should be Waddle 9... with a good bit of momentum, and clear murderous intent if you're between her and the bathroom, but still! I do not look back on those days fondly lol

• Like 3