Campaign starting Henchman and campaign thoughts for TT

ironchicken

Hi

Seeking thoughts

We are about to kick off a campaign and I am still learning TT. I have been looking at the Henchmen trying to decide who should lead until a master becomes available when Shen L will recruited.

I like Yu but I am not sure about Yu to lead. He seems to me to work best as a deputy support. At present I am thinking about Toshiro, AmaNZ or Ototo because I own them. I also have Yamaziko but  she seems a bit fragile. Finally I am tempted to buy the Lucas box to get Sidir.

One silly thought i had was take Yakazimo and a dawn serpent. Promote the serpent and kill Yamaziko so I can have a crew lead by a dragon but I think that is a non-runner unless the spare parts optional rule is in play. Yu working for a dawn serpent looks like a fun combo you could not normally do.

I care more about enjoying the game than winning the campaign. So I am not looking to be hyper competitive. 

Thoughts?

I'm thinking of running Yu as well in an upcoming campaign and I'm running into some similar issues that you are. Yu is incredibly flexible... When he has access to Shen Long's other upgrades. Until that point I think it's safe to say it's mainly for fun when you run him.

Obviously you want to start with one upgrade on him and that approach means it's probably going to be Pushes or Healing for most players. If you're looking to have fun though, I fully believe you can do it with any of his upgrades. If you're set on Shen Long as your master, I think going heals is probably the safest option though. Campaign-wise minimizing injuries is better than winning at the expense of lasting injuries since you can always play more and cap out script easily enough. As always, your meta may be different though and if you find yourself besieged by Ressers then drunken kung fu could be a better choice.

McCabe brings a whole host of possibilities and Sidir could be a very strong leader imo. I've not used them though so I can't comment much on that crew. Wastrels seem fine for the points, but I love me TTBs for my chaff/scheme runners.

In my current campaign, I have two TT players. One is running Toshiro and the other is running Sensei Yu. Both are doing quite well and hold their own. Sensei Yu, even played by a newer player of Malifaux, can stay on the board for quite a while. Add a few upgrades, you him and you got a powerful leader. Toshiro is great for the buffs he can give out and for summoning. In low cost encounters and a campaign setting, summons can be a big deal. I ran Ama no Zako during the playtest and she was pretty good. My crew was all off as I was playtesting the new models at the time, but an Obey in smaller encounters can be great as well as her hazardous aura are lots of fun. 

The fun thing about Sidir in a campaign is that with his promises upgrade he can really shine after a few sessions. there are a ton of upgrades rolling around after a couple of weeks and Sidir will be able to give a lot of other models :+fate to WP and MI. He also has a nice set of abilities otherwise. That would be my vote!

As people pointed out to me in a much earlier campaign thread, Change of Station only goes up to enforcer, barring ridiculous things like making any model a crew's leader or giving samurai fan the hammer and +1 to their shoot stat... So the Dawn Serpent can't be promoted to a henchman and become a crew's leader.

I've had good luck with Sidir as a leader; though I was underwhelmed by his lack of mobility in most circumstances, he's quite tenacious and makes your opponent fear any open spaces with his 12 inch range and sh 7.  To mitigate Sidir's lack of speed, I started with 2 Torakage and Chiaki.  The all star of the crew, however, was the aforementioned samurai with favor of jigoku and fan the hammer.  He made things quite dead, especially after I got Mr. Graves to help position him.

Do you know what's in the cards for strats, schemes, and special story objectives?  Whether you're using the standard scheme pool or GG2016 could make a huge difference on which models will really shine.  Though, Toshiro as a leader really likes minions to benefit from his 0 actions and aura.  With 11 stones to go, I'd consider an Illuminated and a Shadow Effigy.

My starting crew for our current campaign is Huggy (Leader), Ama, Yin and two tengu.  It's a great crew.  They can all fly, Huggy and Ama hit very hard, you have two "obey's", Yin can incapacitate the biggest threat on the other side and give it a - twist vs all of Huggys attacks.  And all three of the big models cause Terror checks.  Some times Ama will fly up into the middle of bubble crews and user her hazardous terrain action, and take a defensive stance.  She will usually die on that turn or the next (keep a 1 or 2 in had for the finish off flip), but not until softening up most if not all the other crews models with hazardous terrain checks.  She's Ht 3 so most models will not block LoS to those behind them.

It is a very flexible crew, its worked out very well for me.  I don't know how well it will go with Shenlong though, we haven't got the the half way point yet.  I don't know what master I'm going to take I yet, probably Shenlong or McCabe.

Ours starts this Friday.

Was wondering how viable this crew would be...

3 Ten Thunder Archers

Fuhatsu + Blot the Sky

Tons of Range attacks. Obviously as the weeks build add some melee support

question is with blot the sky, the 2SH action I can take with the archers. Could I do their rapid fire and no have to discard a card or do I still have to discard a card?

57 minutes ago, Scourn1 said:

Ours starts this Friday.

3 Ten Thunder Archers

Fuhatsu + Blot the Sky

question is with blot the sky, the 2SH action I can take with the archers. Could I do their rapid fire and no have to discard a card or do I still have to discard a card?

Rapid fire is not a (2) Sh action. You can't take it with blot the sky. 

1 hour ago, Scourn1 said:

Ours starts this Friday.

3 Ten Thunder Archers

Fuhatsu + Blot the Sky

Keep in mind that as soon as an archer is engaged there is nothing it can do but try to get away. If I were facing this crew I would just run cheap stuff in to tie up archers.

Just to weigh in, but I tried Push Yu this week before the campaign started and, yeah, I found him to absolutely not be worth the points this early. Maybe I should have tried to swap his upgrade out, but I'm not sure his healing is worth that many points either... :I

If you go TT, I'd probably pimp Huggy at this point. He's pretty solid (especially if the opposing crew don't have CA actions to take him down). I'd recommend condition removal and/or healing (Oh hey there Chiaki) too. Illuminated would probably be viable as well given their resilience and with a certain few campaign upgrades likely the best models point-for-point in the game...

Fought a few different crews btw, for practice, but I'm going Arcanist now since early campaign crew playtesting showed them to be more solid (for me) if you're curious.

Kang makes a pretty good Henchman leader. He's a solid beat-stick, is pretty darned tough to kill thanks to Hard to Wound, Hard to Kill and his (0) heal in later game turns, and his aura of immunity to horror duels is pretty handy. Plus if you face off against ressers or a construct heavy crew, he's absolute gold, giving out + to attack and damage flips vs Undead and Constructs.

Later when you add a Master in, he continues to be an excellent beat-stick and general buffer for your crew.