Molly's Black Blood

Lizzy Lovecraft

So I was going up against a fairly standard Ramos crew.  Happy to see Cassandra instead of Howard, but still nervous because he can out-summon even Nicodem.  I can hardly ever beat this player, so I'm excited to throw my horrors against him, and maybe, just maybe win with my new found skills.  Squatters rights is the strategy.  I know I can get these points thanks to all the movement tricks of Rezers.  If I play it right, the Nurse paralyzes whatever does get near the middle, and I can at least deny the second turn point from my opponent, and put me ahead.  So I have to get every point from my schemes.  Knowing I can never get to Ramos because of his wall of deadly constructs, I challenge myself and take Deliver a Message and Assassinate.

I'm 1 VP ahead on turn 3, thanks to the turn 2 squat point, and everything is going quite well.  Ramos is just in range of a Dead Doxy, so she walks up and casts Take the Lead on him.  Now he's 5 inches from Sybelle.  As expected, here comes the Joss train, right on schedule.  Re-Dead Doxy and Sybelle has Fast.  Mwhahahha...  They're all "over there" beating on Valedictorian, Sybelle steps in, and delivers the message.  3 VP!

So now there's a cluster#$^k in the middle of the board.  Yin charges in at Ramos.  Mind you, she only has one open area to stand.  Beats him up, he's down to 4 Wd's.  Not sure what happened next (I'm seeing red).  Molly activates.  Unfortunately she can't see Ramos through Yin, so she summons a Necrotic Machine.  Ramos takes the point and is at 3 Wd's.  Whispers the Necro, and he hits for 1.  Ramos is at 2 Wd's. (We are both outta stones at this point).  Molly can't actually attack Ramos, so I attempt to summon a Necro twice more for the damage, each flip fails.  My hand is crap.  Accomplice Necro, he hits,  Ramos takes 1, is down to 1, and has poison 1.  Johan is too far away!  I do a little dance.

Things die, the board starts to empty up.  End of turn 3, the upkeep.  Ramos Dies!  3 Points!  Then someone says, "Poison doesn't count for Assassinate..."

Mind you, tho I own McMourning, I never play him.  I am an anti-poison Rezer.  The mechanics don't seem worth the effort.  I don't use it.  So I don't know crap about it.

I almost flip the board in rage!  I play into late turn 4.  Hold 2 squats down.  Then a stupid Steam Arachnid delivers the message on Molly, and Joss kills her.  The opponent took the same schemes and has netted 1 more point at the end of the game no matter what I do.  So I call it and go cry into my coffin...

But SCREW THAT!   POISON HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ASSASSINATE!  If the leader dies on or before turn 3, the player earns 3 VP.  Poison may not work for Vendetta or Make them Suffer.  But Ramos sure as hell died, and that's all that counts!   Right?

8 minutes ago, Lizzy Lovecraft said:

But SCREW THAT!   POISON HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ASSASSINATE!  If the leader dies on or before turn 3, the player earns 3 VP.  Poison may not work for Vendetta or Make them Suffer.  But Ramos sure as hell died, and that's all that counts!   Right?

Right.

• Like 1

With Deliver a message, I tend to take an extra Rotten Belle if I think I'll actually be taking that scheme. Rotten Belles have companion, so If one Belle can lure the master in range the other can just activate immediately and deliver the message without having to wait an activation in between and hope they can't screw up the plans, or have to wait for the master to activate so they can't get away or kill the Delivery Belle.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Fetid Strumpet said:

With Deliver a message, I tend to take an extra Rotten Belle if I think I'll actually be taking that scheme. Rotten Belles have companion, so If one Belle can lure the master in range the other can just activate immediately and deliver the message without having to wait an activation in between and hope they can't screw up the plans, or have to wait for the master to activate so they can't get away or kill the Delivery Belle.

That doesn't work all that superbly if Ramos has Counterspell like he should.

Checking out the new Shikomes.  Since I've started effecting my opponents' Wp duels with Yin, and hate the Arcanists so much, I'm thinking of using them in a Molly crew.  Shrieking Challenge dumps the adversary condition on the opponent, at which time Long Memory targets Wp.  And the trigger to ignore armor is built in.

Now I realize, with the adversary condition, she would be better suited for a Spirit Molly crew, since other spirits get :+fate to attacks, but would she be viable in a Horror Molly crew?

I also see the 1 AP charge to a poisoned model, but *grumble, grumble* poison.  (See my last post...)

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the sidetrack, but why wouldn't death by poison count for assassinate? Has this been stated somewhere, because I can't seem to find an FAQ entry for this. Unlike other schemes, assassinate doesn't state how the master has to die, just that it is killed or sacrificed. Death by poison means it was killed, doesn't it?

Yes, a model dying by poison counts for Assasniate. Lizzy got told during the game that it didn't, (which was wrong) and lost the game because of it. (and as said, there are some schemes and starts that do matter who killed it, but assassinate isn't one)