Beating Wong

Mxbedlam

I've got a game vs Wong coming up this week. I know its Wong because its this player's top pick vs Arcanists and for good reason. (at least 3 models in his crew ignore armor) I don't know what the strats and schemes are yet, we are practicing for a tournament and they haven't been released yet. However, Wong is a hard master to take down. Any general thoughts on how to stomp the little gremlin to the ground?

On 2/21/2016 at 6:07 PM, bertmac said:

Dont hit him he doesnt have a good way of getting away.

Huh? His Melee weapon has a Trigger for a Place effect? That's a pretty good way of getting away? Gremlins also have access to quite a few Push effects and finally things like a counterattack by Burt or Francois really ruins even a Blessed's day.

I wouldn't try to kill Wong since he is one of the most durable Masters in the game. Marcus and his beasts can kill all of Wong's support easily, however.

• Like 1

Cassandra is actually a fairly good pick.  She can charge him and stay engaged with Swirl of Motion if he squeals away (although it would also be funny to Understudy herself and Breathe Fire on him, then Swirl in on that trigger).  Coryphee are also good for this, and both of these options are difficult to hit back to trigger out (also, pretty sure the Iron Fan only has a 1" range, while the aforementioned showgirls can hit from 2").  Gunsmiths can ignore his armor or deny him SS use, and if they engage him, he can't Squeal because they don't have Ml attacks.  Kaeris can also do this, although his Counterspell makes it a bit of a pain.

Engaging him should also be enough to limit his effectiveness.  Malifaux Raptors, Wind Gamin, the Jackalope, and Mechanical Doves can all steal a minimum of 1AP, and that can be fairly important.  Models with Wicked are also good here, especially Myranda, as Wong doesn't have a lot of hope of hitting her with the Fan, although the Rattler is an all right choice for forcing the easy Horror Duel and then having a decent Df.  Little is worse in the game than a Domesticated Master with the Law of Meat's condition and these two engaged, so that's also a consideration.  And there's always the nuclear option: Joss (ignores Df triggers and Armor, and is a bear to take down).  Magical marginalizes him a bit, but only if the magical model is close enough to act as a bodyguard (or not bogged down with Steam Arachnids, say).

In-faction picks defensively: Steam Arachnids, Slate Ridge Maulers, and Molemen ignore :pulse (and have Armor or Impossible to Wound), and Willie ignores :blast.  Mei Feng, as mentioned, can make targeting hard for Wong.  Any henchman can gain Counterspell.  Careful placement of Ice Dancers can be used to successfully Butterfly Jump away from an attack if they're left as bait.  It's not necessarily in-faction, but Marcus can hire Waldgeists, which can produce cover where it's needed and at least make Wong eat up SS or AP to hit (they also have a hell of an engagement range if you find a way to get them close enough).

So there are a few options, a lot of which depends on how you want to approach it.

3 hours ago, Math Mathonwy said:

Huh? His Melee weapon has a Trigger for a Place effect? That's a pretty good way of getting away? Gremlins also have access to quite a few Push effects and finally things like a counterattack by Burt or Francois really ruins even a Blessed's day.

I wouldn't try to kill Wong since he is one of the most durable Masters in the game. Marcus and his beasts can kill all of Wong's support easily, however.

Ml5 without the trigger built in is far from easy. To be fair i completely missed that trigger.

7 hours ago, bertmac said:

Ml5 without the trigger built in is far from easy. To be fair i completely missed that trigger.

I think I have always succeeded in it when I have needed to get Wong away from combat but it is true that it likely costs resources to do so. Still, getting Wong out of combat is generally a lot easier than getting, e.g., Sonnia out of it.

Something to think about with Squeal is that it's away from the attacker so you know what direction he will go in. Unless he is standing completely by himself away from any impassable terrain, you may be able to place your charging model so his push wont get him out of engagement range.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I've taken Waldgiests against him before in a Zoraida list. His crew's ability to ignore armor tends to eat them up. but using them as mobile terrain to give him negatives isn't a terrible idea as long as I can engage and kill Burt or McTavish with glowy as quickly as possible. He used to play Burt a lot but I'm pretty sure he's leaning towards McTavish now.

Keep an eye on terrain too. I'm finding it further impossible to find a convention tournament where a full 50% of tables are shooting galleries. Glowy McTavish with clear line of sight across the entire board is pretty broken.  Make sure something somewhere actually blocks line of sight.

So much talk about beating Wong himself but in reality Wong isn't too scary against arcanists, he can't ignore armor, so most of the time he will deal 1-2 damage. As a gremlin player Wong is my autopick against arcanists but it is because of the magical condition that gives a big bruiser armor ignore and + damage. So I think wong isn't the real threat, it is the magical McTavish/Burt/Lazarus/etc and the lightning bugs. If you have enough armor and you spread out Wong won't be that scary. Especially if you use hard cover, than he can only attack once (with focus) if he wants to blast. So my advice would be to try to counter him with positioning and focus on the armor ignoring units of his.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Yes I agree taking out the target that has the ooo glowy condition should be the number one target for any player.  After that the lightning bugs.  Wong is not scary as long as you spread out your models.  Also do not bring Colette because Wong likes to blow up scheme makers for even more damage.  Be aware of that too.