December Tactics Guide?

tdc

2 hours ago, lusciousmccabe said:

Also she's immune to paralyse I believe. :(

Yep, immune to paralyse and slow. With a 3/4/5 damage track, ignoring armour that can target WP or DF. Oh, and plus flips, as she gives out adversary to enemies in base contact when she's summoned. 

Lovely, ain't she?

Fine in theory. Kirai at least generally lurks at the back of her crew. The paralyse cast I believe only has a 6" range (please correct me if I'm wrong) and she'll have models/Seshin in the way. 

Plus, she can still pass the attack on to a friendly spirit within 2" using a mask.

With all that said, any time you can devour a master you absolutely should!

Man, I always forget how unreasonable Ikiryo is. Without burying or massively attacking the Kirai player's hand there's just no way to mitigate her. Plus Kirai gets my least favorite conflux upgrade, the "Oh, you have one weakness? Not anymore..." upgrade.

Ah well, Armour of December gets you a push out of combat so you could get two shots in on the bulk of Kirai's forces, or you could maybe kill Ikiryo with the repeating damage trigger on your (0) close combat attack?

I already pointed out that you can block her summoning through model placement.  If she cannot place in base to base, she cannot be summoned.  You can also (though not likely in a raspy crew) load up opposing models with conditions that do damage (more likely with say Kaeris, but you could bring The Firestarter).  As you say you can attack your opponents hand, which Acolytes are great for.  Lastly you can use the Arcane Emissary to attack with its Negation, removing living or undead from a model you want to kill.  I'm not quite sure of how the order plays out on the last one,  but Negation reads "After damaging target gains the Negated condition", Malevolence says "After a friendly living or undead model suffers damage"   So it would seem to me that if the target loses living or undead it would no longer trigger Kirai's effect.

Now that won't help much with blast damage, blocking works best for that situation.

12 hours ago, admiralvorkraft said:

Man, I always forget how unreasonable Ikiryo is. Without burying or massively attacking the Kirai player's hand there's just no way to mitigate her. Plus Kirai gets my least favorite conflux upgrade, the "Oh, you have one weakness? Not anymore..." upgrade.

Ah well, Armour of December gets you a push out of combat so you could get two shots in on the bulk of Kirai's forces, or you could maybe kill Ikiryo with the repeating damage trigger on your (0) close combat attack?

I wouldn't say she's unreasonable; shes a powerful deterrent that you HAVE to accept will be coming out a few times that game. Focus down lost love and then punish anything outside of Kirai's 'bubble'. I honestly believe if you go in to the game with this attitude the mind-game that kirai brings won't affect you as much.

Its easy to resign to the 'whats the point in attacking x model due to Ikiryo' mindset. To be honest i threw my rattle out of the pram several times while playing a friend, hurling profanities and declaring her a bullshit master - since then however I've had some pretty good games against her as i've had enough board-time to come to understand ways around her.

Ressers bring the thunder for the denial game and Kirai is no different... It is sometimes super frustrating though so you have my sympathies. :D

Thank you for all the replies and suggestions :) Especially for facing off against Kirai.

I've picked up snowstorm and blessed too so it will be fun playing around with that to start (planning on dropping the ice golem for snow for my next 35ss game :) )

I'll pick up some acolytes when they get restocked at the distributors :) and I guess I'll have the silent ones when they come next month xD

12 hours ago, MR TORGUE said:

I wouldn't say she's unreasonable; shes a powerful deterrent that you HAVE to accept will be coming out a few times that game. Focus down lost love and then punish anything outside of Kirai's 'bubble'. I honestly believe if you go in to the game with this attitude the mind-game that kirai brings won't affect you as much.

Its easy to resign to the 'whats the point in attacking x model due to Ikiryo' mindset. To be honest i threw my rattle out of the pram several times while playing a friend, hurling profanities and declaring her a bullshit master - since then however I've had some pretty good games against her as i've had enough board-time to come to understand ways around her.

Ressers bring the thunder for the denial game and Kirai is no different... It is sometimes super frustrating though so you have my sympathies. :D

I play Guild mainly, which definitely feeds into my frustrations with Kirai, and with her Conflux upgrade even Sonnia can't put out enough damage to make attacking into the bubble worthwhile. Paltry damage that will be healed for essentially nothing in exchange for losing the attacking model is... Well. I feel like I can play against Leveticus even though his gimmick is incredibly powerful, but Kirai just resists counterplay unless you're able to decline the engagement and still get your points - something Guild is notably lousy at. I think there's something to be said for trying to play the containment game, but it doesn't seem worth focusing down the Lost Love when Kirai can just re-summon him. I suppose it slows her down at least.

The only game I've had against Kirai that was remotely enjoyable was with Lucius. The strategy and schemes worked out such that I was able to play without taking a single attack action, and I ended up losing 9-7.

• Like 1