Expanding soon with Wong, looking for recommendations.

Boomstick

Hello all, as the title suggests, I'm looking to expand my Bayou presence here soon, and I'm looking for more experienced recommendations to aid me in my nefarious, green-skinned plans.

Currently, I have the "Closing Time" Brewmaster box, Burt, Trixie, Nurses I'm turning into "bar serving girl" slop haulers, a whiskey golem, and a lot of Arcanists, which I mention for merc-Performer purposes.

My next step is to get Wong's box and Gracie for sure. Also thinking about Sammy & Merris. I know I'll get them eventually, just not sure if they should be an immediate purchase or if I should wait.

So what would you recommend beyond that to work well with one or both of those crew boxes, and why? Piglets? Stuffed Piglets? Bayou Gremlins? What crew boxes would you suggest after Wong? What are your thoughts concerning Sammy & Merris? Lay it on me!

Sammy is fantastic with Wong (well, she's fantastic with anyone) because she can carry his Ooooo glowy upgradge to make the guy that ends up with Wong's buff even buffer. Sammy is great because her blast/pulse immunity aura means that wherever she hangs around, you can go nuts with Wong's blasts without fearing for the already endangered lives of your gremlins.

Edit: yeah, I meant Merris.

Edited by Sordid Strumpet
  • Like 1

Sordid Strumpet is right (although I think they meant Merris in the second sentence).

I loooooove Sammy, she's my favourite model in the game and imo gets a little overlooked compared to Francois and Trixiebelle, and she is pretty good with Wong and Brewie (all those Wp debuffs work nicely with her Jynx), although I think she's best with Zoraida and maybe Som'er. This thread had some thoughts on Sammy which I'll admit now was mostly me raving about how much I like her

Merris is also extremely useful, and I often feel like I'm barely using her to her full potential. She's an incredibly good scheme runner with reckless, flying and a (0) to drop a scheme marker, but she also has a decent attack (Sh 5 that gives burning +3 and ignores cover - nice against pesky hard to wound models), and some incredible utility in preventing blast and pulse damage to nearby allies. Black Blood? I don't think so! That anti pulse damage is nice with the Lightning Bugs that come in Wong's box too, since they do a lot of pulse damage that could well hit your friendlies.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input, guys! I totally forgot about Merris' anti-blast ability, and Sammy with Brewie I couldn't seem to look past that none of his upgrades really shine on her, but now that you remind me that Jynx hits Wp taking one of Brewie's upgrades seems secondary. And Wong with both limiteds on the table...yea, seems solid, I guess =P

So both of the gals when I pick up Wong then, as well as Gracie. Got it.

Any other thoughts in where to go from there?

Surprised nobody has mentioned how awesome Burt Jebsen can be with Wong. He is a great target for Ooo Glowy, another source of Crackerjack Timing, and is perfect with Gracie.

Wong

-Ooo Glowy

Lovely Assistant

Gracie

- Saddle

Burt Jebsen

- Dirty Cheater

Merris LaCroix

Slop Hauler

3 X Lightning Bugs

Gives 48SS with 5 SS Pool and is an all rounder build(without knowing schemes and strats). What else does he need? If schemes aren't important and you need more killy and are facing armor you could drop Merris and merc in Johan for another beatstick I guess.

Edited by D6Damager
  • Like 1

Ahh I just assumed Burt was included, yeah, Wyrd did a mega job of making the buddies in the lore be buddies in the game too, Burt & Gracie are both excellent models to make magical, and he's a solid all rounder too, definitely a strong consideration.

Otherwise, you might wanna look at getting Ophelia's box to get you Francois, another great glow target and a really strong model, as well as Raphael, Rami and Pere who all have their uses and are generally solid enforcers. Raphael also works as a substitute for Burt, although with more of a focus on not dying and less on killing stuff, and with weaker melee.

Som'er's box could be useful too, Lenny is nice and while rams aren't as important for Wong et al's damage output, the damage reduction aura is wonderful. You'd also get some bayou gremlins which make nice scheme runners, a very scary ranged threat for their cost and can be used to pad out a crew a little if you're stuck with just a few stones left and you want more activations.

Have no fear, Burt is already in my game bag. I'm really looking forward to running him in a Wong crew, especially with adding Gracie for full Porkchop Express-ing. My main issue with him in the few games I've run him in so far have been mobility, added with opponents who know he's amazing and focus him down fast.

Francois sounds to be an excellent option as well, though I think I'll probably pick up Som'er's box before Ophelia's, so as to not have all the amazing named pieces without having a bit more of a minion foundation. (I mean, Moon Shinobi are great fun, and I expect the Lightning Bugs will be too, but I think a few 3ss minions could go a long way towards padding the crews). Plus, I plan on working all my Bayou Gremlins into Gremlin Peaky Blinders, and Lenny into "Lenny Wiz-Bang". Totally turning his pig into a pig (or sheep) being used as bagpipes.

• 3 weeks later...

I see you have nurses.  If you get Zoraida you can hire them in as nurses.  Healing Lenny from 1 WD to full and he's not paralyzed is golden, did this in my last game.  (much amusement was had... on my side of the table anyway)  also Roja can become immune to paralyze too. 

I second the love for Sammy.  She'll be in every crew I ever build from now on.  

I ran a crew with Zoraida, Sammy, a nurse and Trixiebelle.  Lenny and Roja were my beatsticks.   Just too many tricks and abilities.  Frankly this crew was too over-powered.  I destroyed my opponent.  I did not even play well. 

• Like 1