Upkeep Step Order of Operations

Rurouni Benshin

Question

12 answers to this question

I'm not sure that a First Player model that gained a condition due to a Second Player end-of-turn effect would wait until the next turn.

In the unlikely event that the order in which multiple effects ending would affect the outcome, then the affected model's owning player determines the order in which they are resolved. If models from both players are affected, the First Player's models will resolve their effects first.

If you resolved a Second Player model's end of turn effect and it applied an end of turn effect to a First Player model, you're still required to resolve the First Player model's effect.  So you would have to resolve the new First Player effects before continuing to resolve the remaining Second Player effects.

Ok, so referring to the scenario above, if the person who isn't playing as Merris went first, their Upkeep step would resolve first, and then the Merris player's upkeep would resolve, killing Merris with Poison, triggering Immolating Demise, which would then resolve on the following Upkeep step.

But if the Merris player was the first player, then it would all be resolved on the same upkeep step.

Am I understanding that correctly?

So here's a follow up question then:

Say for example, one of Merris' friendly models gets caught in the Immolating Demise.  If the Merris player was the first to act, and die during the ensuing Upkeep Step, catch one of her friendly models with the Immolating Demise, would that model's Burning +4 resolve in the following Upkeep step?  Following the logic of my previous post, I would be inclined to say "Yes", since the current Upkeep Step would since be resolved.

1 hour ago, Rurouni Benshin said:

So here's a follow up question then:

Say for example, one of Merris' friendly models gets caught in the Immolating Demise.  If the Merris player was the first to act, and die during the ensuing Upkeep Step, catch one of her friendly models with the Immolating Demise, would that model's Burning +4 resolve in the following Upkeep step?  Following the logic of my previous post, I would be inclined to say "Yes", since the current Upkeep Step would since be resolved.

If the Merris player was first player, and then dies during the upkeep step and catch the friendly models.  It would still be the first player resolving the effects.

I'm with solkan, All the effects are resolved in the upkeep step at end phase.   Starting with First player then Second player and back if needed.   I think the first and second player order is if you have 2 models with end phase effects that would matter in the order they were resolved.

On 4.1.2016 at 7:42 PM, solkan said:

I'm not sure that a First Player model that gained a condition due to a Second Player end-of-turn effect would wait until the next turn.

In the unlikely event that the order in which multiple effects ending would affect the outcome, then the affected model's owning player determines the order in which they are resolved. If models from both players are affected, the First Player's models will resolve their effects first.

If you resolved a Second Player model's end of turn effect and it applied an end of turn effect to a First Player model, you're still required to resolve the First Player model's effect.  So you would have to resolve the new First Player effects before continuing to resolve the remaining Second Player effects.

But what will happen if a model that already resolved poison +1 once ending the condition gets a new poison at the end step?

11 hours ago, Myyrä said:

But what will happen if a model that already resolved poison +1 once ending the condition gets a new poison at the end step?

I would say since poison is remove one step instead of the whole stack, the model gets +1 poison and nothing else happens.     If the model don't have poison to start with, the model gets +1 and then removes it.  

32 minutes ago, Artiee said:

I would say since poison is remove one step instead of the whole stack, the model gets +1 poison and nothing else happens.     If the model don't have poison to start with, the model gets +1 and then removes it.  

Except it's now a completely new poison condition. There's no rule saying you can only take 1 point of damage from poison. The condition is, you take one damage, then reduce the condition by 1. So what would happen, according to back and forth(which has no support anywhere in the rules), is Model A resolves Poison +1, taking 1 damage and the Poison condition is removed. Player 1's upkeep step is now down. Somehow, during Player 2's upkeep step, Model A receives an additional Posion +1. Since this is a new condition, Model A would take another 1 damage from Poison.

Depends!

The first player resolves all their conditions first, and the second player resolves theirs second. So if Merris was on the second player's crew, any models belonging to the second player would take burning damage that turn, but any belonging to the first player would keep it for next turn.