Bayou Boss assembly

Nosilloc

just started this game and my first box was Bayou Boss. Who designed this and were they trolling? I mean some of these don't make any sense. Why is Som'ers belt separate from his body? I had to heat both to get it to fit in. The Skeeters didn't bother me a whole lot oddly. Just got my first Bayou Gremlin together (I hope) and I'm back to swearing again. Some of these pieces being detached make no sense. Why is the guy with the fishing poles foot separate from his body? And why is there no indication u til you get it off that part of the sprue was supposed to be attached to his leg? Are all the models like this? This is the only downside of this game but there is smaller prices than the Bayou Gremlins and if they come in as many ridiculous pieces I'm not so sure about this game anymore.

It's gotten better, but these models take some modeling skill to put together. The older the box, the worse it is. Ophelia is quite a bit easier, but still has the foot problem and some straps are bad. Honestly, check out gmorts blog on his unboxing as he points out how punishing each build is.

Edited by Quasari

Some models are vastly better, some are just as bad as the Bayou box. I like to think / hope wyrd is getting better with these newer kits. But then you get a box like Dark Carnevale. A few very nice models to assemble and suddenly.. Faces split in half. So I have resorted to waiting for the unboxing by gmort / checking out the assembly instructions before purchasing. 

Sorry, I have assembled plastic models for about 30 years now (starting with plastic airplanes and tanks, such as some of you, I'm sure) and I dont really see any problem in the assembly of the pieces. It may be a tad more chalenging than other "more conventional" designs but i have yet to see a fit that doesnt make sense.

the more pieces you cut into a plate, the more plastic it will take - because of the chanels you have to carve out of the mold to get the piece in and the more expensive the production will be. I am sure that they have looked for quality in the production rather than pulling a fast one on the customer.

What i have noticed on some pieces, however (Pigapult loader, Merrys LaCroix's jump pack and the arms of the Pork Whisperer) is that the sculpiting is done in rough shapes that have been left as lumps of plastic rather than smooth surfaces.

this is, to my knowledge, the only point of WTF! in the M2E plastic figures.

this is, to my knowledge, the only point of WTF! in the M2E plastic figures.

Not the 70 piece models? The super small parts the get lost or not used because they are so tiny / make no sense? Pieces not shown in assembly guides? Pieces not fitting where they ought to? The glaring scale issues? The super snaptastic models / parts? 

Now there are great models out there, don't get me wrong and once you get them built they are quite nice actually etc. It's not all doom and gloom but seriously if that is the only wtf moment of Malifaux plastics then I am utterly confused..

• Like 1

Sorry, I have assembled plastic models for about 30 years now (starting with plastic airplanes and tanks, such as some of you, I'm sure) and I dont really see any problem in the assembly of the pieces.

You might be approaching this from a slightly different view point compared to a random beginner ;)  I mean, some people start their minis hobby with Malifaux and I honestly think that Bayou Boss is one of the boxes that could most certainly turn people off the hobby entirely.

Sorry, I have assembled plastic models for about 30 years now (starting with plastic airplanes and tanks, such as some of you, I'm sure) and I dont really see any problem in the assembly of the pieces.

You might be approaching this from a slightly different view point compared to a random beginner ;)  I mean, some people start their minis hobby with Malifaux and I honestly think that Bayou Boss is one of the boxes that could most certainly turn people off the hobby entirely.

This. I think I have assembled two models before in my life. My other games come fully assembled but it's not like I didn't know Malifaux didn't. 

I didn't mind the separate feet on Lenny and Som'er, but these little guys have nothing to match it up to. I got my wife Body of Evidence and I'm dreading the little dog in there now. That makes me sad that you say Dark Carnival is that way because I really want it.

We'll see how the other three gremlins go together. I apparently have different set of difficulties than other people because like I said, no problems with the Skeeters except for the antennas breaking off. Honestly I'm glad they broke off now rather than after I painted them and during a game. I don't like doing touch ups after I complete a paint job...

• Like 1

I agree to Math that the kits may not be for beginners. The bayou boss was a pleasure to assemble (for me, at least) as I add scenic elements and pin through the feet of the gremlins to attache them to it, or other parts of the Gremlins. I even purcheased a 2nd set of bayou gremlins to convert so I have as little duplicates as possible. I actually thought it was pretty straight forward (I assembled and converted so many lead miniatures from my Rackham days, that anything in plastic sounds trivial, really).

To Zfiend, I was aware that Malifaux plastic kits had some major issues re the scale was not consistent, but this seemed to have been corrected -I think the story I heard was that the plastic Ronnin were like a larger scale than the rest of the figures, right? Curiously, I mentioned Rackham and they too had huge differences of scale between the miniatures, sometimes on figures who were supposed to rank together...

I really dont mind the amount of bits and pieces and I have yet to find a bit that didnt fit. I converted a set of Abominations for my Leveticus crew, and I didnt use the pipes that are underslung the one with the tripod legs, but i did put them in the one i built out of the box.

the only pieces I didnt use were the necklaces of the hollow waifs. I cant imagine a woman holding up a pair of bead necklaces as if she was holding a purse. So i thought "naaaaaa...!"

Edited by Kofibrake

We'll see how the other three gremlins go together. I apparently have different set of difficulties than other people because like I said, no problems with the Skeeters except for the antennas breaking off. Honestly I'm glad they broke off now rather than after I painted them and during a game. I don't like doing touch ups after I complete a paint job...

I used a bit of copper wire to replace my skeeter's antennae as they too broke off, during transportation. just drill 2 tiny holes in their forheads and glue the length of wire right in there with superglue. those wont break off unless you want them to!

To Zfiend, I was aware that Malifaux plastic kits had some major issues re the scale was not consistent, but this seemed to have been corrected -I think the story I heard was that the plastic Ronnin were like a larger scale than the rest of the figures, right?

That was the one they admitted to (and fixed!) but I really doubt that they told the sculptor to make the girl Young LaCroix the biggest Gremlin aside from Lenny. Or I really hope they didn't :D 

I think it was a mistake trying to put him together first out of the bayou gremlins. I think him and Som'er were my hardest. Som'er would have been easier if not for that belt. His belt was too big for the belt hole on mine. Had to warm it up in water to get it in and even still it wasn't easy.

• 3 years later...

lol I'm going through this pain right now. I cannot for the life of me wonder why anyone in QA (if there was such a thing) actually approved such an assembly process. This box has put me off the game 3x now (I've had the bayou boss box for about 18 months). I really want to play, and i really want to play gremlins, but I quit before I'm finished each time. It's ridiculous.

On 9/23/2015 at 1:12 AM, Nosilloc said:

I think it was a mistake trying to put him together first out of the bayou gremlins. I think him and Som'er were my hardest. Som'er would have been easier if not for that belt. His belt was too big for the belt hole on mine. Had to warm it up in water to get it in and even still it wasn't easy.

I'm having the most problem with the face, it doesn't even fit together. Belt was a pain also, but the face is a whole new level of wtf. This is as bad as the metal jacks from Privateer Press.

11 hours ago, Oddman said:

I'm having the most problem with the face, it doesn't even fit together. Belt was a pain also, but the face is a whole new level of wtf. This is as bad as the metal jacks from Privateer Press.

No point of comparison. Make sure you're using proper plastic glue for modelism (Revel or Uhu are my favourites). For the Warjacks in metal: cyanoacrylate with the activator or the best is using some 2-component "cold soldering" glue, like Nural-27 (https://www.gravibase.com/en/products/henkel/pattex/nural-27/). With that, I had some warjacks falling from the table and not loosing a single piece ;)

Actually, the worst thing ever is the PVC, models bulky and ugly AF, and no real good glue for them.

4 hours ago, ShinChan said:

No point of comparison. Make sure you're using proper plastic glue for modelism (Revel or Uhu are my favourites). For the Warjacks in metal: cyanoacrylate with the activator or the best is using some 2-component "cold soldering" glue, like Nural-27 (https://www.gravibase.com/en/products/henkel/pattex/nural-27/). With that, I had some warjacks falling from the table and not loosing a single piece ;)

Actually, the worst thing ever is the PVC, models bulky and ugly AF, and no real good glue for them.

I don't think you understand the comparison with PP jacks (old ones). They never fit together properly and quite often had really bad gaps in the joins - much like this bayou boss.

Those jacks are the ones I have! Full MK1 mercenary army! (Magnus is the legitimate ruler!) I'm telling you, cold soldering is amazing for them. 

I think that there are worse models than the Som'er and his family. As I said, with the proper glue, it becomes way better. Anyway, I think that Wyrs is making great progresses with the kits, and most of the time without saceifice the details and the pose of the miniatures :)