Looking for first buy advice for a new player

YogShubb

Hello all. 

New player. I own the cards books but haven't bought a crew box yet. I am thinking about buying Jones first. I wanted to ask would it be better to buy two crew boxes or buy one and some models to with that crew box. Next question if I pick up Jones what models would be good to pick up with it. 

Som'er I think is a good Gremlin master for starting. I would pick up him with slop haulers and another box of bayou gremlins (slop haulers will be useful in pretty much every Gremlin list). That will give you a pretty solid start. After that can get Ophelia which will give you 2 good crews. From there can experiment with other models like the pigapult, piglets, Gracie, Burt, Merris ect

Edited by wizuriel
  • Like 2

Som'er is very very versatile, and so he makes a great all-purpose master, plus you get Lenny in his box who is a just a great model in general.

Slop Haulers are pretty much a must. Gremlins have a lot of self-damaging abilities, and while Lenny can reduce that a little bit, the aura is small and is still minimum one, so the healing off Slop Haulers is amazing.

From there, as Wizuriel said, you have a couple of ways to go. One of Som'er's unique things is summoning, and so you might want a second box of bayou gremlins for that, but I don't tend to play him as a summoner and the four you get in his crew box have been enough for me for now.

A box of Piglets is probably a good idea. Som'er can do pretty decently with pigs (although if you really want to go pig-heavy, go for Ulix instead), and he and Lenny both have ways to summon them. They're good to give you a strong melee presence, and even though they're cheap, they're frustratingly hard to kill. Also give you some extra mobility, either with the Truffles ability they have on them inherently, or you can use the Bowled Over trigger on their attack to push around your own guys if you feel like being risky.

Ophelia's box is also a good buy. I have no interest in playing her as a Master, but the models she comes with are very useful, especially Francois who is obscenely good. And I personally just love Rami.

Edited by Dogmantra
  • Like 1

The recommendation for the Kin (Ophelia) box is a solid one, though I might recommend Ulix instead. Som'er likes to have pigs around as well as Bayou Gremlin's (he can summon them via his trigger and so can Lenny via his upgrade) so they share that in common. Pigs also provide some great movement enhancement for Som'er's crew, ramping up their mobility even more. More than a few nifty ways to do it as well.

• Like 1

I love the pig playstyle, but for just getting into the faction I would probably pick up either Som'er and a box of Slop Haulers and an extra box of Bayou gremlins, or I would buy the Som'er box and the Ophelia box.  Those two crew boxes are fairly good at complimenting each other.  

If you go for the first option you have a great Som'er bayou gremlin summoning crew, and a lot of those models will find their way into other crew boxes you buy later on.  However, you will have more bayou gremlins than you will run outside of the Som'er summon list (which is an awesome list).  If you go for the second option and buy the Som'er and Ophelia boxes then you have two good crews with a lot of interchangeable models.  Som'er does not need to run a summon-oriented crew and you can instead run him up front as a boss that controls/guarantees triggers for his crew and messes with the enemy.  Ophelia is a great master and Lenny and the Bayou Gremlins easily slide right into her list.  The downside is that you will most likely still want to get the slop haulers for just about any crew and you will want more Bayous for Som'er.

But I think those are the 2 best ways to get into the Gremlin faction.

• Like 1

I agree with all that has been said. The only reservation I have of the Somer box is that it is really, really difficult starting point from a modelling perspective. Bayou Gremlins are doable yet difficult but the Skeeters are pretty atrocious. So from that point of view the Ophelia box might be a better starting point. But if you are an experienced modeller, then Somer is the more iconic starting point.

Edited by Math Mathonwy
  • Like 1

Another way to make it easier on your wallet to start with (it's what I did anyway) is buy the So'mer box, slop haulers and the hog whisperer. The hog whisperer can proxy as a bayou gremlin to get you started and the piglet can be used in the list or as Lennys summoned piglet. As long as you're playing in a setting that is okay with a few proxies this will work. Otherwise it obviously wont haha

• Like 3

Zoraida is one of my two go to masters.

I consider her definitely worth picking up, she is quite flexible but excels with 1pt charge models, condition dropping models and scheme runners with her scheme manipulation.
When McTavish is released or if you can access the old metal you'll find she becomes even more effective.
Personally I feel that Gremlin Zoraida is one of the most under rated Masters and I regularly use her to great success.

Thanks for the feedback. Another question after awhile and down the road is Zoraida worth pick up. 

Down the road I would say yes.  She is a very good master and is fairly unique to the game.  She can work pretty good in gremlins as well since Gremlins have a fair amount of self-sufficient models.  But I would not start with her since she is nothing like any of the Gremlin master's and a bit of a departure from what the rest of the faction as a whole does.

It is also worth mentioning that the Henchman that comes in her box set, Bad Juju, is really rather poor when played in a Gremlin list.  When Zoraida plays as a gremlin master and brings him along with her he loses access to his personal upgrade that allows him to keep cheating death since that upgrade is Neverborn only.

But that said, she can work very well with just about any of the Gremlin henchmen. 

• 2 weeks later...