Where to build from here?

ToddTen

So, I am just starting out in my Malifaux adventure. I played a game with a friend's crew, and I have decided to jump into 10T as my army. Here is what I picked up with my initial purchase(s):

Misaki's crew

10 Thunders brothers

Izamu the Armor

I've heard that the brothers are good for scheme running, and I just love the look of Misaki and her crew. I figure Izamu serves as a pretty good tank. If we rule out other masters boxes for things like Sensei Yu, what would be the best next purchases for me? Thanks for any input!!

• Like 1

Solid suggestions above!

Depending on how much mileage you get out of Smoke and Shadows, Yamaziko and some Oiran could be worth a try too.

I haven't played Misaki yet but she's high on my list (mostly to run the rest of her box with McCabe), but from what I read you mostly want Misaki out killing stuff whilst the rest of the crew works to get you points. To this end, you might also want to try Tengu.

I played a game vs a Wong crew the other day. First time running Yamiziko. Misaki died horribly, Yamiziko chased down and killed Wong on her own. Her 3" melee, Nible, and + Flips vs masters cannot be underestimated. Just protect her until she gets within striking distance with Dense and Blocking terrain.

I second the Katanaka Sniper being a solid choice. Effective sniper and not a slouch in melee.

I'm also a fan of the Dawn Serpent. Blasty shooting, poisoning melee, and surprisingly durable.For 10ss the cost can be prohibitive sometimes for your crew but starting out is a good addition.

And finally if you're willing to proxy, Tengu are great for scheme running. I run two up an edge and force my opponent to either waste ap chasing them down or concede those schemes to me.

• Like 1

the monk of the low river is a pretty good scheme runner, and brings the ever so important (and yet situational) condition removal and they are only 4ss.

Dawn Serpent is amazing and I adore it. though the healy trick works better the more models you have with CA actions so Misaki's standard crew doesn't really have much there. Doesn't make Dawn a bad piece however. I do really like it!

Yin is nearly always in my 10T crews. Not ALL of them, but I try to take her more often than not.

I'll echo the 10T archers, that shooting into melee and the ability to ignore LoS with the other attack. (plus blot the sky if someone can carry it for them)

I like the sniper.. but with my play-style I favor the archer's ability to shoot into melee over the sniper's increased damage output. Of course, there is no wrong answer between the two.

Samurai I can't help but love. Though a box of 3 is more than I'd ever need. One is good to have around for some things. The free upgrade they can take makes them quite versatile.

The lone swordsman is amazing (especially with recalled training). So good, in fact, that he has a giant target on his back until your opponent takes him down. lol. but just. keep him safe(ish) until you know exactly where he needs to be to kill something and turn him loose and sit back in awe.

and I know you mentioned not picking things in other master box sets... but the High River Monks have almost replaced my Torkage unless I'm going to use Smoke and Shadow shenanigans. other than that... I'm grabbing High River Monks.

I'd second Yin as well. You won't ALWAYS take her, but there are a lot of schemes and strats where she shines so brightly that, even without Recalled Training, she just makes it super easy to score points. Her ability to put people on a negative to Wp and Ca duels, and the trigger that prevents a model from walking/charging, and the innate  :-fate to attack and damage flips against her...oh my goodness, she can just do so much. Probably my second favorite model in the faction, after the 10T Brother, which you're already getting.

• Like 1

So, here is what I have now with my recent purchases:

Misaki and crew

10T brothers

Izamu

Yamaziko

Dawn Serpent

Katanaka Snipers

I know that lists need to tailor to the mission and all, but just thinking of an all-arounder kind of list and/or a more killy one, how does this look?

50ss

Misaki (stalking bisento, smoke and mirrors and recalled training)

Izamu 

Dawn Serpent

Yamaziko

Katanaka Sniper

Torakage

Torakage

Too few bodies? Improvements anyone? Thanks for the continued feedback!

7-8 is an average number of models, should be pretty okay. 

9+ is a "big crew"

6- is an "elite crew"

I think with the Torakage and potentially the Dawn Serp you've got a good set of scheme runners

With the Katanaka, Izamu, and Misaki, you've got some killy power. 

Yamaziko and Dawn Serpent are flexible with nimble/flying respectively to do some of both. 

Good mix of ranged and melee.

Seems alright for a generalist crew.

ENinja

So, here is what I have now with my recent purchases:

Misaki and crew

10T brothers

Izamu

Yamaziko

Dawn Serpent

Katanaka Snipers

I know that lists need to tailor to the mission and all, but just thinking of an all-arounder kind of list and/or a more killy one, how does this look?

50ss

Misaki (stalking bisento, smoke and mirrors and recalled training)

Izamu 

Dawn Serpent

Yamaziko

Katanaka Sniper

Torakage

Torakage

Too few bodies? Improvements anyone? Thanks for the continued feedback!

It isn't bad though I think you would be better served by bringing either Izamu or Yamiziko, instead of both. Use the saved points to hire either another minion model (Torakage or Katanaka Sniper) or attach more upgrades. I would also recommend moving Smoke and Shadows to Yamiziko or another upgrade capable model, that way Misaki can attach another upgrade. She has quite a few really nice ones to chose from.

I agree with Omen.

Smoke and shadows is never an upgrade I put on Misaki. she has others that she likes better and I stick that one on Yama or Ototo. I love the upgrade, but I think she has other tricks she'd rather have. I kind of feel the same way about recalled training, but I also know she can get a lot of mileage out of it. (I like it on the lone swordsman the best though. :P

I have a hard time investing in more than 2 pricey models. I love Izamu, the Serpent and I like Yama most of the time, but all three in a single list gets a little thin for me. depending on what I needed to get done in my 5 turns I would probably drop Izamu if I didn't NEED the killing power, or I would drop Yama if I didn't need the speed. Yama is a surprisingly defensive piece with Brace Yari and she can get into position fast. Izamu also tends to get burned down fast. so in a defensive game I would take Yama over Izamu all day. on the other hand, In Reckoning with assassinate or make them suffer in the pool... izamu, the serpent, Misaki, well... they have that in the bag right there. Grab some archers or snipers to lay down cover fire and a torkage or two to tie up enemy scheme runners and it's all gravy for you.

• Like 1

Yamaziko is the most awesome mobile playform for both Smoke and Shadows and Blot The Sky. If I don't run her with both Torakage/Oiran and Archers, then Smoke Grenades is almost always on her to mitigate her low df of 4. Even so, she is amazing, my favourite model for most of my builds.

Izamu on the other hand I find does nothing most games, except take up SS and die miserably. It is quite probably due to mistakes on my part, though. He is best with some cover fire and the best when you have push him around (Mr. Graves, Shenlong, Sensei Yu, McGabe) or give him Fast - because he is Slow.

The list you have is rather balanced and has both speed and durability, ranged and melee presence. Test it out and see how it works for you :)

Yamaziko is the most awesome mobile playform for both Smoke and Shadows and Blot The Sky. If I don't run her with both Torakage/Oiran and Archers, then Smoke Grenades is almost always on her to mitigate her low df of 4. Even so, she is amazing, my favourite model for most of my builds.

I think this is a rather standard build honestly. She really does make a great steward for the Archers while also supporting the Torakage tactics fairly well.