Excited about Lust

Jewomie

Now, I am somewhat aware there was some controversy surrounding Lust during the beta. not here to discuss that, so please leave that at the door.

Instead, I'm thinking about how she fits with our current masters and their crew lists. At 8 ss she's fighting things like Lone Swordsman, Yin, Samurai, Mr. Graves, Mr. Tannen, Chiaki, and Izamu. That 8 to 10ss enforcer pool is a little full for us, though not as bad as archanists, but still...

On paper, Lust looks like she would be a good addition to something like Brewmaster. She has ways to clear their hand, and reposition them. Plus, a WP dual which is always powerful for Brewie. However, I have had Brewmaster on the brain for about a month now, and I'm sure this only scratches the surface of her usefulness in a crew.

Her reposition could be useful for Yan Lo, as his lot tend to be our slowest, so any enemy movement that we can control is a boon to him. But where do those 8ss come from? Do you pick Lust over Izamu?

Lynch and Feng I still have little to no experience with.

Misaki could get use out of her, but Orian are cheaper and have last blossom. The card removal still has a place, but the orian Lure vs Lust's shenanigans work a good deal differently, so that might just be according to your tastes.

McCabe makes everyone better, but might not really care about her too much. While she has a lot to bring to the crew in control aspects, I think McCabe will likely stick to what he's been doing the whole time rather than worry much about Lust.

I think she is a solid model. That stat line is not too shabby, and her potential control is amazing. Of course, with Brewmaster's wp drain I think she will fit naturally in his crew, and she is even fast enough to be a good scheme runner if your plans don't work out so well.

With manipulative 12 I can see her ideal use being ruining your opponent's positioning right at the end of the turn setting yourself up for the following turn.  Could be really powerful in the right hands.

So what do you all think? Is she going to be worth picking up, or are we pretty covered for what she brings to the table?

• Like 2

I saw the spoiler and I like the fluff. It's a fresh take on the character/concept, which is what most people were concerned about.

I think she's going to become one of my regular utility models. She gets more cards into your hand, lets you re-arrange cards, gives you two pushes, an attack with Slow, and forces models near her to move or take damage. At 8 Wd, she's comparable to Yin and Samurai and I'll use her in the same lynchpin positions. She requires some careful positioning and timing, but that's only appropriate for Lust.

• Like 5

I´m really happy with how she turned out, from an aesthetic, theme and rules perspective. I´m just liking her as a mobility engine for a cheaper cost compared to Sensei Yu and who can wreck the enemy odds hard if she can get a nice charge. She is tissue thin though if you activate early and that trigger is a consolation prize, so without care, she will implode.

• Like 1

I´m really happy with how she turned out, from an aesthetic, theme and rules perspective. I´m just liking her as a mobility engine for a cheaper cost compared to Sensei Yu and who can wreck the enemy odds hard if she can get a nice charge. She is tissue thin though if you activate early and that trigger is a consolation prize, so without care, she will implode.

Desire tends to vanish if not handled with care.

As I said in the Beta she does have some uses, just mostly you have to know what she can do for you and see when you need it.

So some stuff I learned about Lust before.  Yes Oiran are better at luring/repositioning, but they also require a Mask or an Upgrade to insure their spell gets off.  Lust has no suit requirement for hers.  In addition her (0) action can target friendly models so it is a form of extra movement you can also get.  A 4" push to another model for a 6+ is not bad, the fact it can be towards any model in LOS is not bad either.  So you can use it to get your model into charge range, reposition a model out of combat so it can escape or interact, or pull back a model back to your own lines.  She can even draw an enemy closer for you.  It also has a 10" range which is not bad as she has a 6" walk.  It is a simple but useful little ability.

Her Walk 6 is very nice, she is surprisingly fast as she cross ground fast to either escape or be in position for her Aura to hinder her opponents.  With her ability to move enemy models around she could potentially escape combat by moving her opponent so she can run off and do her own thing.  She is also not bad at trying up your opponent either.  She has Manipulative, Def 6, 8wds, and a Ml7.  So you can make your opponent work to kill her and she is hard to just walk away from.  Not the hardest model but one that gives some manipulation on space in addition to this.  Also kind of funny in that if models are trying to run away from her, all she has to do is stop them once and generally they will not be able to get outside her 6" aura so can take damage or force a card discard.  You can also throw mid to low range Tomes out for defense if you know you cannot dodge the attack to recycle cards a bit at the expense of wounds, not horrible if their minimum damage is 1 as with a base def of 6 she might still get negative flips.

The Now Kiss ability is kind of short range, but has potential to really mess with your opponent if they are in a ball.  As it is a place you can put them in positions that hinder them *such as behind a model that has already activated to destroy charge lanes* plus just getting it off once triggers two Wp13 duels or they suffer slow.  This really works best when you have several models in range and can use both AP to just create trouble.

Her combat potential is weird and I did manage to surprise some enemies with them.  Due to her Ml7 but a damage track of 1/2/6, I found she really liked Focus or positive to damage.  Once with Recall Training I had her murder an enforcer bad by doing double severe damage *did take two faces cards from my hand and a 7 to hit once*.  Because of her trigger it really set up for the second swing as I knew what he was going to flip.  With two good cards and a focus she can likely kill many minions and has a real good chance to hit thanks to that Ml7.

The last thing was her Aura, which many felt was one of the weaker though I found I kind of liked.  It ended up kind of like a Mini-Brace, where she could be sitting behind my lines a bit but any opponent that charged my guys had to discard a card at the end of their activation or take 2 damage.  It did not take long for me to strip the low cards out of my opponent's hand.  This had an interesting effect that it helped me judge more often then not the strength of their hand.  If the first card they drop is a 5, odds are they don't have anything lower unless they can use low suited cards.  And even if they tried to throw you off by dropping the five first, often they would have to soon drop a second one and it can reinforce what you know about the hand.  It also hurts if they have stuff like Flurry in their list as they both want the same cards.  Add this to possible having Brace as well and you can make a real mean Anti-Charge area.

Another interesting thing about her Aura is that they have to end closer.  If she is base to base to them, there is no way they can get any closer.  So even if they were willing to move closer there is no space. 

She really ended up as an odd but interesting 8ss model, as she is a little bit of several things, just enough to be possible useful but not enough to be an easy pick for them.  So no auto pick but has the potential to be a good hindrance model if you can either build around her or fit her in.

• Like 1

I was considering adding her to a Yan Lo crew, where her reposition ability compliments and is complimented by Lightning Dance, so you can really manipulate your opponent's positioning. He can heal and give her armour as well, so she becomes more survivable when the old geezer is about. With other control models in play (Izamu, Zamaziko, etc) and/or blast-causing models (Thunder Archers especially, to shoot into engagements, as well as the Dawn Serpent, and Yamaziko again), you can quite easily bunch up a good amount of enemies to dish out lots of pain all at once.

I think she'll pair very well with Yamaziko, since their anti-charge stuff stacks nicely, and Yama provides blasts to exploit Lust's grouping of enemy models.

• Like 1

As already mentioned in the faction I think her best uses will be with brewmaster and Yan Lo. My concern with her in a Yan Lo crew is fighting over space with ancestors. I don't really see her use with misaki or Mei simply because they get more use out of simply attacking enemies rather than working to reposition them.

I could see he r being really fun in henchman hardcore with Fuhatsu as the leader to group up models for blasts.

As already mentioned in the faction I think her best uses will be with brewmaster and Yan Lo. My concern with her in a Yan Lo crew is fighting over space with ancestors. I don't really see her use with misaki or Mei simply because they get more use out of simply attacking enemies rather than working to reposition them.

I could see he r being really fun in henchman hardcore with Fuhatsu as the leader to group up models for blasts.

Don't think about what Lust can do for your master, think about what Lust can do for you. Hit a model for one damage and scoot it into position to drop a scheme when it activates. Lure your own models out of position so your sniper has a clean shot. Lure Baby Kade out of melee pits.

What are your schemes? Would Lust's mobility shenanigans help your accomplish them? Take Lust.

• Like 2

What are your schemes? Would Lust's mobility shenanigans help your accomplish them? Take Lust.

QFT. I'm excited about the WP interactions for Brewmaster as well, but it's more than just master interactions. It can also be about enforcer/minion combos. Specific roles for the model in the scenario. Turf War? Drag an enemy into the middle. Interference? Drag a friendly out of engagement to increase your total number. Deliver the message? Grab an enemy and place it into engagement with someone who's close enough. 

Sometimes looking at the big picture is breaking it down into smaller pictures... #zen

• Like 1

• 1 month later...