Ironsides Upgrades

katadder

Which upgrades are people thinking for ironsides?

I will pretty much always take challenge the crowd and warding runes, but then its between iron determination and frontline leadership.

iron determinations, the RJ is extrememly situational as its only if a RJ is flipped against her on damage, how often does that happen, not very. stand up stand tall part could be good if I ever got more than 3 adrenaline on her.

frontline leadership means more chance of adrenaline, especially against shooty crews and has a short range 0 in there too to make people attack ironsides.

so what are peoples thoughts?

If you're not taking Mouse Iron Determination can help keep Ironsides alive longer. I like front-line leaderships movement screwing abilities but I think wether or not you want to be relying on your models getting hit depends on the crew. If you have Gunsmiths the burning attack she get's from Message could be quite nice. I've not played Ironsides yet so this is just what I've seen from others or ideas I have.

I'd disagree with Imbued Proection a little, actually - if only because you WANT Ironsides to get hit, occasionally, in order to use "Good shot, my turn" to gain adrenaline and hit back.

Seize the day is always a good general upgrade to consider on your leader in arcanists.

• Like 1

I often take Seize the day on other masters but dont feel ironsides needs it as much. which is why I am a little unsure what to finish off with. 

do like the idea of stopping RJs, but its only when flipped, not when cheated. if it was when cheated as well that would be awesome.

Honestly my two most used upgrades with Toni are Arcane Reservoir and Seize the day. I occasionally take Frontline Leadership, mostly because I really like its (0) action. I generally run her without any of her upgrades though. If I had a lot of minion constructs in the crew I would consider that Wave 1 M&SU upgrade that gives out Regeneration +1 (sorry forgot the name), or possibly Powered by Flame if I had the constructs. Toni really doesn't need the upgrades, most of them help her out in odd ways or make her try to do one thing and the biggest thing you will run into with her is that she does a lot of different things but she does none of them particularly effectively.

Depending on what my opponent declares as a faction, sometimes i'll take recharge soulstone as she is pretty decent at taking out multiple low SS models. It sometimes acts as a freebie if you need to burn a stone for her DF trigger, killing the model and gaining back the stone. 

Also I have to agree that seize the day is a pretty big deal for Ironsides. If your really trying to play the adrenaline game then this upgrade often feels mandatory. I personally don't play her this way and try to focus more on getting the most from hand picked men instead.

I've even taken message from the union and had great success with it. If you play her in more of a support role then it's a nice ability that allows her to still play aggressive without putting her in real danger. Burning +3 is no joke and can be made even more effective when running with gunsmiths and the firestarter. 

I'd disagree with Imbued Proection a little, actually - if only because you WANT Ironsides to get hit, occasionally, in order to use "Good shot, my turn" to gain adrenaline and hit back.

She is tremendously good in simply tying up half the opposing crew, though, which is something that Imbued Protection would emphasize. Besides, there will be enough chances to hit back despite the +1 Df. Because really, hitting Ironsides is voluntary (most of the time) so the opponent usually makes the decision - in other words, if they are good, they have more to win than lose when hitting Ironsides.
  • Like 1