Embarassingly Basic Questions About Wyrd Plastics

Tzarcastic

Just what it says on the tin.  I have VERY limited experience with painting some other models, but since Wyrd plastic looks so different from the metals and resins I've seen elsewhere, I want to test my understanding.  Each bullet point can be taken as a True/False question:

• Wyrd plastics do not require washing.
  • Wyrd plastics do need primer.
  • Wyrd plastics hold together well when assembled with "resin"-oriented glues, such as Zap.

Is that all correct?  Is there anything else potentially fraught of which I should be aware.

I wash my models after assembly because the oils on your fingers do make the paint stick slightly worse, though it's mostly just me being anal. :P If you have green stuffed the model and used Vaseline or similar you should definitely wash them.

Primer is highly recommended.

Zap is a CA glue, i.e. super glue. Some people use that for plastic but I much prefer solvent based plastic glue, such as Revell Contacta Professional. But any liquid plastic glue with a steel spout should be good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • No need to wash unless you use some form of lube when sculpting greenstuff on conversions (which, based on the experience you stated you have, I'm going to assume you won't be dabbling in for a while.)
  • While they may not need it, I recommend it as it gives you solid coverage of the model. Black primer tends to be more forgiving to an inexperienced painter than White primer as it creates more natural shadows.
  • I recommend plastic cement for gluing together plastic models as it provides a stronger bond that holds up to the rigors of gaming better than super glue. Plastic cement slightly melts the plastic and then cures, effectively forming a chemical weld between the plastic pieces and fusing them together. Super glue (cyanoacrylate) cures to hold the pieces together, but it is the strength of the glue itself holding them together. Cyanoacrylate has powerful tensile strength, but has weak shear and shock strength, so an errant crosswise strike to a piece bonded at a small spot with super glue and separate easily. It should be noted that plastic cement won't work with on metal or resin models as it can't melt and chemically weld them, so you do need super glue for working with those. Also, if you plan on using resin bases with your models, you'll need super glue to attach your models to those (I also recommend pinning them for extra shear support).

I hope this was helpful and not too overly technical on this.