Melee at multiple heights

asrian

Question

I had this situation happen today in a game and honestly not sure how it's resolved.

We had a Ht 3 piece of terrain. On top was The Captain with his 3 :melee, and below was a Waldgeist in cover with his 4 :melee melee. 

The question that came up was, how, if at all, does elevation impede these two models from swinging at each other. Both had LoS to each other (so Vantage wasn't an issue), and both were in melee range of each other, but could they actually swing at each other?

Crap%20Diagram.jpg

If the lower model is higher than the elevation difference, the difference gets ignored. If not, it simply gets added to the distance they are in. In your above example, assuming the lower model is not more than 1" away from a top-down perspective, they would be engaged, but only the Waldgeist could attack.

Page 44, big rulebook, Engagement Elevation shout-out box.

• Like 1

If the bottom model has a Ht that is less than the Ht of the object, then the Ht of the object is taken into account when calculating engagement range.

So in your picture, if the Waldegiest (Ht2) is on the ground, he uses 3 of his 4" engagement range on the ht difference, so needs to be within 1".  

Say top down perspective they were base to base. Captain is on the lip of the ledge, waldgeist is directly beside him but 3" lower down due to the Ht of the building. The captain has a 3 :melee . Would he be able to reach the waldgeist, in that specific situation? I'm assuming he would, but only under that exact circumstance (or if the Ht was lower).

Say top down perspective they were base to base. Captain is on the lip of the ledge, waldgeist is directly beside him but 3" lower down due to the Ht of the building. The captain has a 3 :melee . Would he be able to reach the waldgeist, in that specific situation? I'm assuming he would, but only under that exact circumstance (or if the Ht was lower).

You are correct.

I stole my answer from the last time we had the question in the rules forum, so Diral wins. Again.

You are also correct.  :D

Yes, they would need to be base to base from the top down view.

edit - grrre, Dirial'd!

If the bottom model has a Ht that is less than the Ht of the object, then the Ht of the object is taken into account when calculating engagement range.

So in your picture, if the Waldegiest (Ht2) is on the ground, he uses 3 of his 4" engagement range on the ht difference, so needs to be within 1".  

Wouldn't he only use 1" of his melee range?

2" high, object is 3" high, both are right on the edge.

Couldn't that also mean the captain could be up to 3" away from the edge and still be attacked by the Wadgeist?

Wouldn't he only use 1" of his melee range?

2" high, object is 3" high, both are right on the edge.

Couldn't that also mean the captain could be up to 3" away from the edge and still be attacked by the Wadgeist?

Ht stat only comes in to play at the start, eg:

Is lower models Ht greater than object Ht?

Yes - ignore object Ht and just measure  :melee  range top down

No - ignore model Ht, use Ht of object + top down distance between models.

I find this an easy way to think of it, and it took me a while to work it out. Because all measuring is done top down, there is no adding  :melee range to Ht, or anything like that.

Doesn't the height of the lower model come into consideration though?

Only if the model is taller than the elevation, otherwise the height it irrelevant.

Yes, at the start. But it's less the the Ht difference, thus the difference gets added.

I think this is somewhat confusing.  CapnBloodbeard is suggesting that only the difference should get added (so a Ht2 model attacking a Ht3 elevation should only need 1" Ml range).  Though this makes thematic sense this isn't how it works.

I think this is somewhat confusing.  CapnBloodbeard is suggesting that only the difference should get added (so a Ht2 model attacking a Ht3 elevation should only need 1" Ml range).  Though this makes thematic sense this isn't how it works.

Ah, okay. I meant the Ht difference between the elevation levels the models are standing on.

Only if the model is taller than the elevation, otherwise the height it irrelevant.

Therefore, this is correct.

• Like 1