When do you use Essence of Power?

Bengt

The one suggestion I remember seeing is using it with Oxfordian Mages, they already want to clump up for +  :tome so can stay in Amplify range. Ca 7 is pretty nice, but it seems very static to me and if your opponent can avoid them with terrain or whatever you have 15-21 ss sitting around in one spot doing nothing. Have anyone gotten any success with this setup?

What other uses are there?

Large engagement + Ironsides = great randomization target.  If I tag IS for two damage, that's fine.  I'll just push her out of engagement with the primary model I'm targeting and go to town with the rest of the mages.  The mage swarm is one of the good uses for the Essence.

I also bring it with Raspy, because she's not really moving, anyway, and Ca 8 December's Curses with :+fate to the attack flip if you stone for a trigger from 22" + Ice Mirror base size are just a bit ridiculous.  It helps Silent Ones if you don't move them too far, too (who am I kidding?  Silent Ones don't move far).  Ca 8 Freeze Over is pretty tempting, too, which can line you up for an extraordinarily evil Shatter.

I've never really tried it with Ramos, but it seems like it could be helpful once he's set up a summoning platform (stone for a :tome, get :+fate while looking for a 10+ :tome for 3 spiders, or just a 7+ for 2).  Also, Ca 9 Magnetism is funny, especially if there are any Metal Gamin on the table.  I definitely don't know if you're getting your value in exchange for a reactivating Joss or Howard, though.  It may contend simply because (in my experience), the Brass Arachnid only seems to Stoke once per game before my opponent devotes triple its SS value to destroying it, and the Essence is a lot more resource-friendly (it never needs a card for anything).

Other masters are generally too mobile to gain much benefit from it outside of :+fate when using stones.  Snowstorm gets a little bump in that it is a caster, and Myranda would, if the totem could keep up (spoilers: it can't).  The Captain takes a good bit from it and can actually keep it moving along with him provided you have no one better to push around (spoilers: you do, generally).  Leap becomes infinitesimally easier.  A showgirl crew could technically push it around enough to be useful, although that's a lot of AP invested in +1 Ca (it might be worth it; I always flip one card too low for Prompt).

• Like 1

I use the essence of power in a Rasputina's Crew with 2-3 silents one. I get Ca 8 with Raspu and Ca 6-7 with the silents. I use an Ice Gamming with the core of the crew. Then I have another 20 soulstones to spend in mobility and cheap models with frozen heart. It works if the enemy use a slow crew with expensive models.

I've never really tried it with Ramos, but it seems like it could be helpful once he's set up a summoning platform (stone for a :tome, get :+fate while looking for a 10+ :tome for 3 spiders, or just a 7+ for 2).  Also, Ca 9 Magnetism is funny, especially if there are any Metal Gamin on the table.  I definitely don't know if you're getting your value in exchange for a reactivating Joss or Howard, though.  It may contend simply because (in my experience), the Brass Arachnid only seems to Stoke once per game before my opponent devotes triple its SS value to destroying it, and the Essence is a lot more resource-friendly (it never needs a card for anything).

Other masters are generally too mobile to gain much benefit from it outside of :+fate when using stones.  Snowstorm gets a little bump in that it is a caster, and Myranda would, if the totem could keep up (spoilers: it can't).  The Captain takes a good bit from it and can actually keep it moving along with him provided you have no one better to push around (spoilers: you do, generally).  Leap becomes infinitesimally easier.  A showgirl crew could technically push it around enough to be useful, although that's a lot of AP invested in +1 Ca (it might be worth it; I always flip one card too low for Prompt).

Do Ramos spend a lot time standing around? He can only summon once per activation, so wouldn't you often move about with Magnetism to optimize the use of his attacks and buffs?

If the main draw is a utility Ca on your master (like Prompt) wouldn't Malifaux Child be more attractive?

Kind of pointless on Ramos since he has to decide the amount of arachnids to summon before flipping. And I don't tend to stand still with Ramos.

Only time I would consider the essence is with Rasputina.

Malifaux child is great with Kaeris but I don't think it's worth giving up Mech Doves for a chance at an extra prompt that requires a 9. You can already Prompt 4 times a turn if Cassandra uses Understudy and the doves are great with scheme marker stuff. Dunno what other masters the child would be good for in the faction. 

I'd consider it if I had a master that didn't really need their totem, and I was planning on taking some silent ones (which are great regardless for support shooting and healing). Boosting freeze to Ca7 is incredibly nasty, and healing on a 7 is far more reliable than healing on an 8. If it makes sense to clump up 3 silent ones, then the essence gives you a potent bunch of silent ones.

Gorbad: Doves + Practiced Production is win for marker schemes like breakthrough and power ritual. And it's a prompt you have to use a 9 for. You can already Prompt with Cassandra and Colette.

Decker: I imagine it could work. Such lists really aren't my playstyle though. I've very little experience with static firebases.

Decker: I imagine it could work. Such lists really aren't my playstyle though. I've very little experience with static firebases.

Not really my style either, but I could see it being useful, depending on terrain, for something like turf war where you want to hold a central location, or even straddling two 'home' zones  near the 6" barrier in reconnoitre. It still leaves 29ss plus the master that aren't 'locked down' like the silent one base. They add a lot of healing and long range firepower to arcanists, and I don't think either of those are particularly common in the faction (barring Raspy crews), so it may work as a meta-choice. 

The only time I've used it recently was in a Colette list with Performers and Silent ones (and a Rail Golem). Everything in the list had Ca Actions. And I had ways of mowing the essnece outside of its activation (Prompt and Sirens call).

An interference list Vs Levi. I won 7-5

It was useful. Not essential, but probabl;y worth its points overall. I think Its got a rough report on my Blog (Which I really need to update!)