McMourning as Guild

jonahmaul

I love the Pathfinder and was thinking he'd easily be able to get a first turn shot on the big lump.  Plus his ignore armour trigger meant he was more likely to deliver the killing shot to the Whiskey Golem too.  But he didn't.  Because he died!

First time I've tried running two Austringers.  I liked the flexibility of it though especially with so many interacts being needed (Headhunter + Distract).  Still new though so trying lots of things out.

I almost always run at least one Austringer, and they make scoring at least two points from Vendetta pretty trivial. I've even gotten to the point where I'll have them attack something else first, fake another scheme, and deliver the killing blow to their target to score the full 3. Granted, it's a super risky move, but a focused Sh 7 that ignores cover and LOS and doesn't randomize does make it more reasonable.

But the first attack in vendetta must be towards the vendetta target, doesn't it?

Nope - 'if the noted enemy model is killed my the noted friendly model, score 3VP (whether the scheme was revealed or not)' (Big Rulebook, page 70).

I have to confess I always thought that you had to have their first attack on the target so you reveal the scheme too.  But this opens up lots of new sneakiness!  Although I'm not sure whether I'd risk it.

But you left out the part of, if this models first attack action is against the noted enemy model score 1 vp and reveal this scheme.

As well as, if the noted enemy model is not in play score an additional vp.

Which is followed by the if the noted model was killed by this model score 3vp. I think it's if all the 3 requirements are met you gain 3vp. Not by taking a potshot at it to kill it.

But the only way to 'score 3VP whether revealed or not' is by landing the killing shot without it having been your first shot.  As you're supposed to reveal it if your first attack action is against the noted model (which is the only way to reveal it).  However, if your first attack action is against something else but you do kill them then you satisfy the not revealed part of it?  As I say, I've always played it the same way as you but by reading it then it definitely seems like you can just get 3VPs from landing the kill shot (though this seems easy even if risky).

I highly doubt that's the intended way. I have always read it as that you need to fill all 3 requirements.

If the enemy has one HtK model just pick that one for vendetta. Beat it down with no regrets down to HtK and then finish the final blow for 3vp?

No, I think Jonah has the right of it. 

I think the breakdown is thus:

If your first attack from the noted model is against the target, and you reveal it you get one point, locked in.

If you kill the model before the end of the game with anyone, you get one point (revealed that way, or no.)

If the final attack that killed him is with the noted model, you get all three points, vendetta achieved.

The tradeoff being, that if you DON'T kill the intended target with the noted model, you can only score ONE point from it. Unless you declare it, and let the cat out of the bag.

That being said, I usually do declare once my first attack is down, because I like points the opponent can't take away. It would be interesting to see if the reading on it is "If the target model is no longer in play" or "if a member of this crew kills the target model". because that would be an interesting sacrifice to deny VP. "I'll ping you with a belle from 18". Vendetta, one point."  "Ah. I'll kill my own model to deny you two. Done and done." 

Fact check?

ENinja

That being said, I usually do declare once my first attack is down, because I like points the opponent can't take away. It would be interesting to see if the reading on it is "If the target model is no longer in play" or "if a member of this crew kills the target model". because that would be an interesting sacrifice to deny VP. "I'll ping you with a belle from 18". Vendetta, one point."  "Ah. I'll kill my own model to deny you two. Done and done."

I've started a new thread about it here but I think killing your own models off is totally in the spirit of Malifaux so it opens some interesting strategies with the scheme.

So. Does anyone use Exorcists with the good old Doctor turning everyone Undead? 

I use that combination a lot. One thing to be careful though is the Exorcist can affect himself with Damning Oratory. I've only think I've seen banish to oblivion work once, but it got a Von Schill. 

I use that combination a lot. One thing to be careful though is the Exorcist can affect himself with Damning Oratory. I've only think I've seen banish to oblivion work once, but it got a Von Schill. 

Good point, one have to mind their positioning. Well it's a fine prey to get if you the Schilinger. 

Do you guys run one or two? 

I ran McMourning as Guild this weekend.

The strategy was Squatter Rights.

The schemes were Cursed Object, Distract, Bodyguard, Vendetta and Line in the sand.

My crew was:

Mcmourning with Plastic Surgery, On The Clock

Zombie Chihuahua

Sebastian

The Judge

2x Nurses

Death Marshall

Witchling Stalker

2x Guild Guard

I took line in the sand and bodyguard on the judge.

My opponent played Marcus.

Despite killing his entire crew and only losing 2 of my own models, I lost 5-10, but at no fault of the good doctors.

my opponent out played me with a very well put together crew for squatters rights and smart scheme selection (cursed object and distract). He had 3 molemen, 3 canine remains, 2 razor spine rattlers and Myranda

I found that McMourning brought along some great interaction and scheme marker tricks that aren't available with other guild masters (except Lucius). Line in the sand was a breeze. Handing out precise to other models such as The Judge was great - a couple one hit kills on molemen. McMourning is also a monster in ml.

Also, the nurses pushing up the damage on my own guys was great. At one point The Judge was doing 5 min damage ignoring armor. Also, the heals from the nurses are amazing coupled with a witchling stalker. It took 3 turns of sustained attack from Marcus and Myranda to kill the judge.

The poison didn't play too much of a huge role, except for McMourning doing rancid transplant and expunge on a couple targets to kill them. BUT, Sebastions induction combined with the chihuahua was a great way to finish off almost dead models at the end of each turn.

I thorough enjoyed playing McMourning as Guild and would encourage Guild players to try it out.

• Like 5