It's Tough Being Queen - Slow Grow League Reports

MasterDisaster

So after reading zFiend and Math's slow grow reports I've decided to do my own in a similar style with some narrative in between the reports to hopefully turn my League Progress into a tale of sorts. This will be updated on a monthly basis until my League comes to it's conclusion in December. The League is designed for beginners to learn the game and veterans to learn new Masters and just have some fun building a crew. So... Here's the first Installment 

Game 1 - 30ss - A Grudge Forged in Blood (Lilith vs. Lady Justice)

Standard Deployment - Turf War 

ALITS

Breakthrough

Protect Territory

Plant Explosives

Plant Evidence

Lilith -- 5 Pool  

+Beckon Malifaux [1]

+Fears Given Form [1]

+Living Blade [2]

Cherub [3]

Barbaros [10]

Terror Tot [4]

Terror Tot [4]

Terror Tot [4]

Breakthrough (Revealed) + Plant Explosives

VS.

Lady Justice -- 5 Pool 

+Last Stand [1]

+Vendetta [2]

Scales of Justice [3]

Death Marshal [6]

Death Marshal [6]

The Judge [9]

+Lead Lined Coat [2]

ALITS (Hidden) + Plant Explosives

NOTE - This game was a month ago so some of the details are a little hazy but I remember the important stuff. 

Lilith surveyed the land before her as the moon rose dimly lighting her surroundings. She had heard members of the Guild were trying to encroach on her territory and this would not stand. There were sacred artifacts in the area and she had sworn to keep them out of human hands. She had dealt with Guild lapdogs countless times before but rumour had it the Guild Hero Lady Justice was personally attending with a small contingency of  her Death Marshalls. Lilith would make them pay for trespassing with their lives. Her anger flared and she started barking orders at her brood. Her Tots ran for their lives, she was not above maiming her own children when she got into a rage like this. In her hand the blade Alraune seemed to react to her emotion and flickered violently in the moonlight. The Cherub gently flapped its wings and took flight without a word, seemingly knowing what was required of it. Barbaros readied his trusted weapon with a grin, he relished the thought of crushing some human skulls. It had been some time since he could exact vengeance against the race that had cursed him. He thought of all the things he would do to his prey once he'd caught them whilst sliding his fingertips across the sharp barbs of the mighty weapon he was wielding. He looked at his Mistress although not directly in the eyes, never directly in the eyes. He nodded and ran off into the darkness to hunt his prey.

Turn 1 - Lady J has deployed all her forces to my far left flank giving me an obscenely wide opening for a Tot to sprint into the back field and start dumping markers. He immediately makes a break for it successfully sprinting twice. The Marshalls advance towards the centre where the Turf Marker sits inside some old ruins whilst Lady J hangs back to avoid being caught early. I send Barbaros, 2 Tots and the Cherub into the Centre and start randomly dumping markers to prepare for my Plant Explosives. Lilith flanks to the left to prepare for some charges, Tangled Shadows and Wicked Vines shenanigans later and throws up an Illusionary Forest to block LoS to her crew (Not that Lady J cares much about that!)

Turn 2 – My Tot on the right sprints to the back field and starts running along the enemy deployment zone dumping markers. (He does this all game until turn 5 where it re-joins the crew in the centre to ensure full points on Turf War, I won’t mention this chap again until the end) The Death Marshalls break from cover and start dumping markers along the centre line on either side of the Turf Marker. Lilith throws herself into the Marshall to the left of the Turf Marker to slap him around a bit but fails to kill due to BJ. Lady Justice can’t resist taking this chance and so walks then charges Lilith only dealing 4 Damage. Other models move towards the centre, the judge tries to pull the Cherub off of the walls of the ruin but fails and so he assists my Tots place markers around the Turf Marker thanks to Our Land.  

End of Turn Both Score +1 for Turf War. Scores 1-1

Turn 3 – The Marshall who Lilith attacked goes first and fails his Fears Given Form test and is allowed to die dropping another marker on the centre. Lilith uses this opportunity to escape and Tangles herself to the Scales who are skulking around the centre giving out cards and the Wp bonus.  The Scales are allowed to live for now and Lady J is rooted in place. Justice activates and fires blindly creating soft cover and heals some damage she’d taken earlier (can’t remember where or how though). The Tots reposition to avoid the Judge whilst dropping markers who again attempts to pull the Cherub of his perch, failing to both push and hit him with any of his attacks. The Cherub shoots the Judge to position him near a marker then shoots a Marshall bringing him within 3” of my explosives. Barbaros charges the Marshall who’d laid his marker and returned to assist his brethren and slaps him about a bit but keeping him near the marker and lets out a challenge.

End of Turn both reveal Plant Explosives. Lilith +3 VP, Lady Justice +3 VP, Both Score +1 for Turf War . Scores 5-5

Turn 4 - Lilith goes first and utterly decimates the surrounding area, she cleaves the Scales in two with one shot then murders the second Death Marshall. Giving me clear dominance of the game by this point. The Judge having heard the screams on his brethren takes some revenge and kills a Tot and runs off to finish the ALITS on my right flank the now dead Marshall had started. (At this point I’d assumed he was going for Protect Territory and totally fooled me until it was too late!) Justice now free of her roots moves to threaten my crew and heals some more. Barbaros repositions to block a charge lane to Lilith and bellows his Challenge. At this point my Tot in the back field has dropped his last marker.

End of Turn Lilith +1 Turf War. Scores 6-5

Turn 5 – Cherub having done bugger all last turn decides he’s going to be sneaky gives Barbaros Rise Up giving him the Hazardous Terrain aura knowing Justice plans on coming in with a charge. The Judge completes ALITS and moves close to be in a scoring position for Turf War. Barbaros issues his challenge, fails his Fears Given Form test after I balls up his placement taking him down to 3 wounds. He charges (at which point my opponent points out the ground he occupies counts as Hazardous terrain, he takes 4 damage and dies…. *face palm*) Justice Charges Lilith unfortunately not finishing in a scoring position for Turf War but thanks to Disappear whiffs 2/3 attacks leaving Lilith on 1 wound and taking a few BB damage herself. Lilith Activates and tries to finish off Lady Justice but also leaves her on one wound! Final Tot runs back to ensure Turf War is scored and the game ends there.

End of Turn Lilith +1 for Turf War.

End of Game Lilith +3 for Breakthrough, Lady Justice +2 for ALITS.

Final Score 10 – 7 to Lilith.

Seeing his leader thoroughly battered and bloodied by the ongoing melee against the writhing blade wielded by the Queen of the Nephilim the Judge calls out for the retreat. He knows his superior can be stubborn at times but he calls out twice to ensure she gets the message. Lady Justice hears the call and falls back reluctantly. She knows she will never hear the end of it if she gets herself seriously wounded again. Lilith screams with violent rage and charges after the Guild’s Hero only to be stopped by Barbaros who manages to stumble to his feet and shields Lilith from covering fire laid down by the Judge as they make their retreat. “Not today Mother, we have our victory” he says with a gruff voice trying not to choke on his own blood. Lilith scowled at him but she knows he is right.

“Gather your brothers and sisters Barbaros… we are leaving!” Lilith ordered with a harsh tone in her voice. She knew she had won the day but the Guild are persistent.

"They will be back…and we will be ready for them!" she thought to herself as she disappeared into the shadows. 

After Game Thoughts - My opponent had only ever played once before this game and he put up an impressive fight for a beginner, especially as his first game was with The Dreamer! He made some seriously questionable decisions that handicapped him throughout the game a little but all in all it was a blast and we both went away happy with our results. I also made a pretty dumb mistake which ended up killing Barbaros but it also caused some laughs as well. I was mightily impressed he'd managed to fool me into thinking he was going for Protect Territory when in fact he was doing ALITS the entire time! A very good opponent who took his loss gracefully and a pleasure to play against. He'll be troublesome in a few games time when he's more experienced! I look forward to playing him again sometime. ;)

NEXT TIME – Lilith vs. The Viktorias

• Like 2

Kill all the Guild lapdogs! 

This was a good read. Great that you started it as well. I liked your writing a lot. Keep it up! 

Thanks! My next league game is coming up next Monday so I'll try to take some notes and write up with a bit more accuracy on the in game details. I've already got an idea for the narative so we shall see how the game plays out. :D

Thanks for the comment Sevensins. I was thinking of making the entire report into a narrative but decided that was a very big task and decided to keep it simple instead.

Pictures? What madness is this?! I'm sure I might be able to sort something like that out. I'll pinch my fiancee's camera for next week if possible as the ol' iPhone isn't renowned for the best quality of pictures out there. 

Wooo! I have followers! I AM LOVED!  :D

I'm looking forward to my game on Monday. I'm apprehensive about taking on the Viks when over half my crew effectively consists of demonic babies. Thankfully in April we escalate to 35ss and can add another box of models to our crew. I'm looking forward to getting in some serious table time with the Young and Mature.

I know all too well what those Sisters are capable off. However, my opponent has his head thoroughly stuck in 1.5 rules and is constantly in need of reminding the new rules so it could be an interesting one, after all this league is all about beginners for M2E getting to grips with the game. His crew has the potential to totally wipe me out however his in-experience and tendency to make some very unusual in-game decisions may very well be his downfall. Time will tell. 

• Like 1

So ladies, gentlemen and stooges alike! Last night I had my 2nd League Game. As requested I've taken some Pics and more detailed notes so the report will be much more accurate this time. Here goes!

Slow Grow League Game 2 – 30ss – Hired Help (Lilith vs. The Viks)

Standard Deployment – Squatter’s Rights

ALiTS

Assassinate

Breakthrough

Plant Explosives

Take Prisoner

Lilith -- 5 Pool

+Beckon Malifaux [1]

+Fears Given Form [1]

+Living Blade [2]

Cherub [3]

Barbaros [10]

Terror Tot [4]

Terror Tot [4]

Terror Tot [4]

Assassinate & Breakthrough (Hidden)

VS.

Viktoria of Ashes -- 2 Pool

+Sisters in Spirit [1]

+Synchronized Slaying [2]

Student of Conflict [4]

Ronin [6]

Ronin [6]

Taelor [10]

Viktoria of Blood [0]

Assassinate & Plant Explosives

Viktoria approached the rag tag band she had hired and stood beside her twin who was sat on a tree stump sharpening her swords with a whet stone she had produced from her clothing. The Student of Conflict looked quizzically at where her sword wielding Sister could hide such a thing with her current attire but then remembered there are more important things to worry about than where they hide their equipment. Namely the mission at hand.

“So ladies, why have you dragged me out here to the arse end of nowhere when I could be back at the Three Dogs drinking myself into a stupor?” Taelor asked.

Viktoria of Blood sheathed her swords and took a challenging step towards Taelor but Viktoria of Ashes held out her hand to intervene.

“Because my dear, those incompetent fools at the Guild tangled with Lilith and got themselves pretty banged up. They have hired us to get the job done” Viktoria replied.

“So they've come to us again with their tails between their legs huh Viki?” The Student giggled.

“Yes little one, once again they have come to us to do their dirty work for them but they pay well so I'm not complaining” Viktoria of Ashes replied with a smile on her lips.

“Come Sister. We have a job to do!” Viktoria of Blood said with a sharp tone in her voice.

“Indeed Sister, we must prepare.” Viktoria of Ashes replied.

A few hours later the sun was setting in the horizon and lighting the forest with a warm orange glow, the shadows grew long and a gentle wind blew through the trees. The leaves danced in the breeze and for a while Lilith was in a somewhat peaceful mood for a change. She always seemed to be less volatile when walking through this forest. This was not to last however.  Her Cherub appeared from a bush a few yards ahead of her.

“What is it, you are disturbing my walk!” Lilith snapped.

The Cherub didn't speak a word but somehow it was able to communicate it’s message.

“Barbaros has found intruders on our land?! Tell him to prepare at once, this will not stand!” Lilith screamed at the Cherub who flinched in terror and swiftly flew back from where it came.

Lilith growled in anger as she knelt to the ground placing one palm on the floor. She slowly stood up keeping her hand parallel with the soft soil. As she rose a blade too rose from the ground and took form. It was Alraune the Living Sword. Lilith caressed the blade lovingly with her fingers.  

“Hello dear friend, tonight we dine!” Lilith whispered to Alraune, the blade shivered with excitement as if somehow sentient.

Deployment

Game%202%20-%20Deployment.jpg

Turn 1 – Initiative goes to Lilith. Tot 1 (Tots are numbered 1-3 from left to right, so 2 is in the middle) double sprints getting one Mask. Ronin 1 (Ronin on my left) approaches Tot 1. Barbaros walks twice and takes a defensive stance near his closest squat marker and issues a Challenge. Ronin 2 who is hiding behind a tree on my right in the above pic double walks towards the far right marker to try and obstruct Tots 2 and 3 later. Cherub flies over to Tot 1 twice and the Sutdent of Conflict double walks into the centre of the board… all alone. Lilith activates and throws up a forest to slow down the Viks after walking towards the center, she tries to Tangle herself to Ronin 1 but fails to walks again to reposition for Turn 2. Taelor double walks towards Ronin 1. Both Viks walk or get called with Sisters in Spirit to the centre near the Student whilst both my remaining Tots double sprint with no masks all round.

End of Turn Score 0-0

Start of Turn 2

Game%202%20-%20Turn%202%20Start.jpg

Turn 2 – Initiative goes to Lilith so she jumps right into the action by using Tangled Shadows to Trade Tot 2 for Vik A using the RJ to ensure it works. She then pummels Vik A for 3 Damage but Vik drops a SS to prevent 2. A second attack sees 6 Damage on Vik A but a SS prevents 3 leaving Vik A on 2 wounds and very worried. Lilith finishes by relocating the Forest Markers to block Vik B’s LoS to Vik A. Student tries to disengage Tot 2 but fails so instead calls Vik B into Sisters in Spirit range of Vik A. Barbaros nimbles over to his Squat marker, takes it, issues a Challenge and takes Defensive Stance +1. Vik B walks and attacks Lilith but I use a SS for a Mask and cheat a high card to get the Disappear trigger putting Blood at -2 to Ml.  Melee Expert also misses. The Cherub puts Rise Up on Barbaros for the Hazardous Terrain aura making a charge from Ronin 1 and Taelor very uninviting then walks to ensure Tot 1 is within the 3” aura for Our Land. Taelor charges Barbaros and after a short argument about the 3” aura and 3” melee range of the relic hammer I decide she doesn’t take damage from Hazardous Terrain for the purposes of moving the game along. Taelor hits once for 4 Dmg (-1 for Armour) then misses with her 2nd attack. Tot 1 Walks, interacts for (0) due to Cherub’s Aura to take the Squat Marker then walks again to block Ronin 1 from the Marker. Vik A activates passing her Fears Given Form check after cheating fate, walks to get out of the Challenge range then uses her (0) to gives both Viks +1 Df. She then swings for Lilith landing a hit even after I cheated a high cards and blew a SS for a Mask. A 2nd attack fails due to the BJ. Tot 2 successfully disengaged the Student and sprints towards the back of the board to start Breakthrough next turn. Ronin 1 declares a charge against Tot 1 but fails the Challenge Wp test. Tot 3 Sprints twice to avoid Ronin 2 but gets no masks. Ronin 2 walks and takes her Squat marker on the right flank.

End of Turn Score 1-0 (+1 Lilith Squatter’s Rights)

Start of Turn 3

Game%202%20-%20Turn%203%20Start.jpg

Turn 3 – I again get initiative and after using a SS to get yet more shit cards in hand I start with Lilith. I block LoS to Barbaros from Taelor with a new Forest. Lilith then attacks Vik A for 6 Damage killing her and scoring +3 for Assassinate then slams Vik B for 6 leaving her on 1 wound. I then try to have my cake and eat it by using Wicked Vines on Taelor to tie her up for a turn but it fails (Mistake that will haunt me later but my opponent was being a total ass I didn’t want to make him worse. I’ll explain this further at the end). Vik B decides she wants revenge for the killing of her Sister and passes her Fears Given Form swings for Lilith but misses due to the RJ and I trigger Disappear again. Despite the -2 modifer to Ml Vik B hits for 3 Damage with her 2nd attack. Tot 2 drops his first marker and sprints along the board towards the left flank to drop another next turn. The Student charges Tot 3 to tie him up and stop him taking another Squat Marker first attack misses but the 2nd puts 2 Damage on the Tot and Black Blood deals 1 to the Student. Cherub wiffs all his attacks on Ronin 1 so Ronin 1 walks forwards and places what I suspect is an Explosives Marker right between Tot 1 and Barbaros. Tot 3 retaliates against the Student but I get a BJ for damage on my first attack then miss the 2nd. Taelor walks around the forest and slams her Relic Hammer into Barbaros for 4 damage (-1 for Armour). Barbaros tries hit Taelor with his (2) Bullrush attack to push her away from the Marker he is guarding and also avoid the Explosives Marker but fails. Ronin 2 walks around the small trees nearby and Plants Explosives near Tot 3. Tot 1 now realizes what is going on so moves back to avoid the explosion and takes a Defensive Stance +1.

End of Turn Scores 5 – 2 (+3 Lilith Assassinate, +1 Lilith Squatter’s Rights) (+2 Viks Plant Explosives)

Early Turn 4

Game%202%20-%20Turn%204%20Early.jpg

Turn 4 – Once again Lilith wins initiative and here I decide to give the guy a chance at taking out Lilith so I activate Tot 2 and drop a 2nd marker for Breakthrough and sprint to the last marker location. Ronin 1 Charges Tot 1 and hits once for 2 damage taking 1 Damage in return from Black Blood. Barbaros is up and issues yet another Challenge then beats Taelor 4” away from his Squat Marker also dealing 2 Damage then takes Defensive Stance +1. Vik B passes her Fears Given Form test, Passes her Challenge test with a flipped RJ (nice!) then attacks Lilith dealing 3 Damage, passes Challenge again attacks, I SS for a mask and cheat in a high card but Vik B still slams Lilith for 6 killing her and scoring +2 for Assassinate ( I let this happen as by this point my opponent was being an obnoxious ****). I decide to go with Tot 3 who attacks The Student twice but only hits once for 1 damage. Taelor walks into the center and takes the Squat Marker. Tot 1 unlike his brother isn’t a useless git and attacks Ronin 1 twice, hitting twice for 3 damage each time leaving Ronin 1 on HtK. The Student makes some revenge attacks against Tot 3 hitting him for 4 damage as well as 1 Black Blood damage on herself then uses Sisters in Spirit on Vik B to call her away from Barbaros. Cherub shoots into Tot 1 & Ronin 1 engagement hitting the Ronin for 1 damage killing her (If I’d hit the Tot he’d have killed the Ronin with Black Blood so this was a Win/Win scenario :D) Ronin 2 walks and takes the last Squat Marker.

End of Turn Scores 6 – 5 (+1 Lilith Squatter’s Rights) (+1 Viks Squatter’s Rights, +2 Viks Assassinate)

Start of Turn 5

Game%202%20-%20Turn%205%20Start.jpg

Turn 5 – Lilith wins the initiative yet again. Barbaros Nimbles back onto his Marker, and takes Defensive Stance +2. Student walks and calls Vik B to her on my side of the centre Squat Marker. Tot 2 Drops his final marker for Breakthrough and dances a little dance. Tot 1 focuses twice and he’s basically been guarding his marker all game and has no reason to stop now. Ronin 2 walks twice above the central marker. Cherub also focuses twice and Vik B walks twice to prepare a two pronged attack alongside Ronin 2 on Barbaros in the event of a 6th turn. Game ends.

End of Turn Scores 7 – 6 (+1 Lilith Squatter’s Rights) (+1 Viks Squatter’s Rights)

End of Game (+3 Lilith Breakthrough)

Final Scores 10 – 6  to Lilith

“Grab my Sister, we are getting out of here, NOW!” Viktoria of Blood screamed with a sense of extreme urgency in her words.

The Student of Conflict didn’t say anything, she threw her sword to the ground and ran to help Viktoria of Ashes but stopped roughly 3 yards from her battered body. Immediately she paniced as she saw Lilith slowly start to get back to her feet. Entirely gripped with fear she was unable to move, it was as though like her legs were made of lead. She bit down on her tongue to overcome her fear and dragged the unconscious Viktoria's away as fast as she could. 

"Viki, I need help, she's too heavy!" The Student yelled out. Taelor ran over, yanked Viktoria from The Student's grip with her mechanical arm and threw the unconscious Viktoria over her shoulder. 

"Get your arse in gear little'en, unless you wanna get eaten?!" Taelor bellowed. The Student shook her head and ran after the others. The remaining mercenaries ran off into the night before Lilith could realize what had happened.  

Barbaros yelled orders at his brothers demanding they follow the humans into the woods to make them suffer and pay for such an insult against the True Mother and Rightful Ruler of Malifaux.

“Mother! Are you alright?!” Barbaros asked with his usual gruff tone but with genuine concern in his voice.

“Get your hands off me Barbaros! I don’t need your help!” Lilith snapped but Barbaros didn't listen and helped Lilith stand. She smacked him across the face and Barbaros didn't flinch nor wince in pain, he was used to far worse. He knew Lilith better that most. This was her way of thanking him without having to actually say it.

“Don’t worry Mother, those cowardly humans won’t get far. My brothers are tracking them as we speak. Even the land rises against the trespassers. Your Cherub called upon the Waldgeists to lend us aid.” Barbaros said trying to be reassuring. This was also an attempt to avoid blame or punishment. Lilith was the only one these days who could genuinely instill fear into him. 

“You have always been a good boy Barbaros, come… We are going home” Lilith replied with a soft tone in her voice. Barbaros hesitantly followed Lilith into the shadows.

“She is never that kind after an encounter like this.” Barbaros thought to himself as he felt fear rise up within him. He knows somebody is going to be punished for this hoping it was not he who felt the sharp end of Lilith's wrath. Lilith smirked to herself as she melted into the shadows.

“I've got to give it to those girls, they are skilled with the sword. I look forward to meeting them again” She thought to herself as she finally disappeared into the night.

After Games Thoughts – My opponent was a nightmare to play against. I remained calm and collected, offered advice and even held back (A LOT). He on the other hand completely ruined this game by being an obnoxious, rude, unsporting ass. He constantly moaned and swore at me from Turn 2 onward calling me every insult imaginable and dropped the C-Bomb on me at least 4 times. He totally ruined the game and refused to even thank me for the game or my time at the end. I was looking forward to a game after work yesterday but this put a real downer on my night. As for the game itself he played OK, some of his tactical decisions were dodgy at best and so there was a lot of take backsies which I just let fly because of his disgusting attitude and mood. I made a few mistakes and I know it but I'm still trying to learn how to play Lilith more effectively, I also let a lot of things happen that really didn’t have to. I explained I could have happily beat him 10-2 but of course this was no consolation.

This was an extremely unpleasant game for me but I gritted my teeth and played through to the end. I just seriously hope I don’t play him again especially after a long day at work. I've also had complaints about this sort of behavior from him against his first opponent last month and if he keeps this up I will be removing him from the League as it is meant to be a relaxed and friendly environment for beginners to learn the game and NOT a hostile environment where one guy is constantly getting bitchy and calling his opponent every name under the sun. 

Anyway, on a more positive note I'd like to thank you for reading. I hope you enjoyed the report! Next time the games increase to 35ss and we can add models to our crews so it’s going to start getting more interesting. I'll also try to get some better pics, you can only work so much magic with an iPhone :D

NEXT TIME – Lilith vs. Perdita!

• Like 1

NEXT TIME – Lilith vs. Perdita!

Awww, Yissssss!

Cool report, thanks for sharing. Bummer about your opponent and your evening.

We missed you in the off-topic thread, but by writing this, you're excused. Partly, at least. :D

Good read. You sure can write mate. Seems like a good game.

Man I'm sorry about your opponent though. Hopefully he'll read this and get some perspective. Anyways, looking forward to the next one!

Thanks mate, I've never considered myself a particularly great writer. I have this annoying tendency to constantly switch between past and present tense. I tried to make it all the same here but may have missed a few lines. Proof reading your own work is a pain! :D My opponent really was the worst. He's running a Dragon Age RPG I've been taking part in and after tonight I think I'll be dropping out of it. 

Awww, Yissssss!

Cool report, thanks for sharing. Bummer about your opponent and your evening.

We missed you in the off-topic thread, but by writing this, you're excused. Partly, at least. :D

Haha I thought you'd like a Perdita match-up. Lilith vs. Perdita kinda feels right as well! I'm not relishing a gun line crew but I'm learning the tricks Lilith needs to get the job done so hopefully I can beat him. We have both won our games so far so next month will put somebody above the other. It's on now! I'm also glad to see my hours of abuse, writing, photos and typing up a report can excuse me from my absense. Can't think how else I'd make up for it! :D

Kill all the Guildies! I especially liked the Guild Dis in the beginning. Though I have a feeling my beloved Rezzers will get their share of the hate once he gets to play against them. :D

Haha when I put that bit in there it did make me think of you, I couldn't resist having a little pop at the Guild. I love the Guild but Outcasts are my favorite faction and so I had to have a little dig at the Guild because it was the Viks. I'm trying to decide how to have the Ortega's talk without being totally racist towards Mexicans. I'll have to tread carefully for next month's report!  :P I'll be getting round to the Ressers at some point I'm sure, Seamus is the only Resser in the League but there are two of him so you can't even imagine how that's going to turn out ;)

I'm trying to decide how to have the Ortega's talk without being totally racist towards Mexicans.

I think it's safe to assume, without any racism, that most Mexicans would consider the Neverborn a bunch of Pendejos.

• Like 1

I'm trying to decide how to have the Ortega's talk without being totally racist towards Mexicans. I'll have to tread carefully for next month's report!   

I've found that, when in doubt, don't try and do dialect. You can give somebody a thick accent in their first dialogue tag and your readers will go with it.

Or, even better, you follow the convention that they are all speaking Spanish with the same accent. That way, unless there's a gringo Pistelero hanging around you don't have to worry about dialect or dropping random Spanish words into the mix. That's the convention you'll see most often in the theater - unless there's an outsider character no one needs to put on an accent.

Anyway, might be helpful, might not be. But you (sort of) asked so I figured I'd chime in.

I've found that, when in doubt, don't try and do dialect. You can give somebody a thick accent in their first dialogue tag and your readers will go with it.

Or, even better, you follow the convention that they are all speaking Spanish with the same accent. That way, unless there's a gringo Pistelero hanging around you don't have to worry about dialect or dropping random Spanish words into the mix. That's the convention you'll see most often in the theater - unless there's an outsider character no one needs to put on an accent.

Anyway, might be helpful, might not be. But you (sort of) asked so I figured I'd chime in.

That's some great advice so thanks for that. I'll perhaps give it a try and mock up some draft fluff for the beginning of the next game.

I've already got a few ideas floating around for story progression so I shouldn't struggle to link this game to my next. I'd like to portray them in a kind of rough rider, lawless, do their own thing kind of attitude with a hint of Hispanic dialect rather than "Hey Gringo! Where's my Burito!?" You know?

• Like 1

Thanks sevensins, I figured they would help better illustrate where I was coming from in the report. I was pretty happy with how the fluff turned out in this one as well. I read somewhere that Lilith's mood can change like the wind and that's the side of her I wanted to try and get across. Obviously she is a mother so I tried to put a softer side to her this time as well although a sinister softness if such a thing exists! 

Yeah my opponent really wasn't great. Too bad really because he's normally a pretty nice guy but 2 months in a row for his league games he's acted the same way. I feel sorry for next months opponent if he loses again! 

Though I can see why you wouldn't have wanted to bother arguing the point in the midst of an unpleasant gaming experience, I can't see why your opponent would think that Taelor could be engaged with Barbaros and not take damage from the Hazardous Terrain. Both the Aura and the Engagement Range are 3 inches, right? So if you're in Melee Range, you're in the Aura? This FAQ ruling ...

Q: If two models are in base to base contact, and an Ability pushes one of them exactly 3” away, how much distance is considered to be in between the two models? Are they considered to be within 3” of each other?
A: As base to base contact is considered to be exactly 0” apart, the models would be exactly 3” apart after the push and therefore still within 3” of each other.

... confirms that 'on the line' means 'in,' right?

Anyway, thanks for the write up, I hope there is some retroactive satisfaction in both winning and being a good sport, even if the game itself wasn't fun at the time.

Though I can see why you wouldn't have wanted to bother arguing the point in the midst of an unpleasant gaming experience, I can't see why your opponent would think that Taelor could be engaged with Barbaros and not take damage from the Hazardous Terrain. Both the Aura and the Engagement Range are 3 inches, right? So if you're in Melee Range, you're in the Aura? This FAQ ruling ...

Q: If two models are in base to base contact, and an Ability pushes one of them exactly 3” away, how much distance is considered to be in between the two models? Are they considered to be within 3” of each other?

A: As base to base contact is considered to be exactly 0” apart, the models would be exactly 3” apart after the push and therefore still within 3” of each other.

... confirms that 'on the line' means 'in,' right?

Anyway, thanks for the write up, I hope there is some retroactive satisfaction in both winning and being a good sport, even if the game itself wasn't fun at the time.

You are exactly right, I knew I was right, I even had the FAQ on me to prove I was right however the reaction I would have gotten was probably comparable to pouring petrol onto the fire. He was already at the point where he was spitting every profanity in the English language at me and so I decided to take the moral high road and just say "Yeah OK we'll do it that way, let's just carry on with the game shall we?" Looking back at it I do take a certain amount of satisfaction that I could keep my cool under the circumstances, I could have said some things at the time but lowering yourself to their level just makes things worse. Overall it was a negative experience and one I don't wish to repeat. Thankfully the rest of the gaming group are a lot more friendly and better at losing gracefully, especially now I'm a Henchman. They HAVE to respect my authority :D