Opinion on basing various master/crews

Minijunkie

Hi folks,

I've been working on a McMourning box/crew and so far have them all on tile bases (basically I cut a circle of tile plasticard and glued it on as an insert). The idea being they are on morgue tile flooring. I'm a little concerned they are too uniform/boring but that's another topic :)

What I'm debating is: if I add Seamus or Nicodem or other Rezzer crews, what do you think the basing should be? Will it look weird if I end up mixing units and have some on tile and some on "graveyard dirt" so to speak? Anyone delt with this little predicament before?

I base the model as I think fits it. This may mean my selected crew is on a wide range of bases, but since I don't play on a board that matches any of their bases anyway, it doesn't bother me.

All my Showgirls are on a stage, yet I almost never have a stage on the board, and even when I do, its only a very small section, so I'm not bothered by their section of stage appearing in the middle of a street, or a swamp. It means I'm not bothered when they stand next to Boris the dancing bear on a bit of rocky ground even though he is in the same crew.

About the only way you could do it is to base every single model on the same style base.

But its personal preference.

For rezzers, I mostly have 3 types of bases. A dark cobblestone style that started with Seamus and crew, and I've used for many of the other 'standard' rezzer guys that I'll use, Molly, crooligans, hanged. I ended up picking up a painted Nico crew that isn't the same style, but close enough. When I painted McMourning his guys went on the Wyrd morgue bases, which I think work so very well with him. So now when I mix and match a crew, one or two guys will have bases that are different than the rest of the crew. Last month I moved into the spirit-y side of rezzers via Yan Lo and Kirai, and whatever I plan on using with them will get Asian garden themed bases (profile pic).

So yeah, definitely a mix and match of bases while I'm playing a game. Does it look odd? Probably did at first, but you get over that real quick, I think, especially when you play them on different terrain styles. Morgue bases on a swamp board? Sure, why not. I couldn't do all one style for a whole faction; I'd get bored, I think, and I knew eventually dual faction guys would mess that up. But if you can do them all the same, it does help keep everything looking nice.

I'm just starting with Malifaux and my models are still gray, but I have in mind how will be the bases:

Nicodem, Mortimer and most undead models: graveyard

Seamus, Sybelle and Rotten Belles: cobblestone street

McMourning, Sebastian and nurses: morgue

You never play every game at a table to match your bases, why not mix them then?

While I have yet to do it, my plan was to base each crew within its own theme, but then paint the lip the color associated with the faction.  This way they both maintain their own personality (which I think is most important with Arcanists considering they are rather all over the place) and are also tied in with the rest of the faction.

I started with McMourning & Co and did them all on Secret Weapon sewer bases, which are lovely and easy.  I also did custom scheme markers for his crew - barrels pouring lurid green poison into the sewer.

I suspect I'll keep the sewer bases for all my non-spirit Rezzers.  It will fit less well for Nico than I'd like, but should serve adequately for Seamus & friends.  

My Arcanists are all over the place - showgirls on stage, beasts on rocks/earth/grass, Frozen Hearts on snow/rocks.  It all breaks down horribly...

I think there's such diversity within factions that tightly themed and consistent bases are a sort of hopeless cause.  

• 2 weeks later...

I've got 2 styles that I use in some form for everything: 1 dry/badlands; 1 urban/night.

If I find I'm really regularly using one style for the other, I'll get/convert another copy, but other than that I don't care much.

For instance, Toshiro's getting a lot of use across all my ressers/with mei feng so despite having him slated for a night themed base, I'm putting together a conversion for a dry-themed one. But I don't often use Sebastian with my dry crews, so he'll just occasionally tag along with his morgue base regardless.