Painting Nekima (aka what to do with the tongue?!)

Ikvar

Alright, so a little while ago I wrote this after priming and pre-shading the new Nekima model:

"An aspect about the Nekima sculpt that I dont think have been mentioned, is how the small size effect all the details on the model. The face fx have so many details, but on such a small spot that I am really not looking forward to starting on the details. I actually think the face is smaller then Lilith face, which is also damn small but has less details. I also hate to work on such a small surface as it gives me way to little room to make the details visible and give it a good gradient which is kinda "my thing". I have no idea how to make the tongue look like anything else then a failed sculpt of the lips, as it is basically just a little bump on her mouth :/

And her stance is also a bit weird, the way she bends over kinda looks like she is meant to look down on her opponents- hence the tongue for taunting etc... but because of her size, she is more going to look at the stomach on normal models, and the feets on the bigger models..."

And since then I have been working on her... and I have a very mixed bag of feelings about the model.

Seeing as there have been so much negativity about this model, I thought I would start with the positive- it is a DAMN good looking model, in fact I think it is the most beautiful and detailed model I have ever worked with. Everything from her detailed stomach to her even more detailed face, this model is truly amazingly good looking!

But the problem is that almost all of the details are lost, because they are so damn tiny. And just like I wrote before I started, her tongue is just silly... I simply have no idea how to make that look good or even visible unless you have your face fully up close to the model.

So if anyone have any tips on how to paint the tongue, please help me! ^^

Other then that, I thought it could be nice to see peoples experience with painting this model, and of course maybe it is just me who are a noob, in which case I am looking forward at being taught by some of you veterans :)

Second that, the tongue just does not work in my opinion unless the mouth was open wide *less like she was sticking out her tongue and more like wailing like a banshee* which would work again if she was larger.  If you have some scuplting skills I would say removing the tongue and touching up her lips would be better *though I would not be against a smirk over a sneer*

So another thing that bugs me a bit about this model, is the fact that she is not only Crouching but she is also looking down. This means that the only thing you will see of her face when she is on the table is part of her forehead, which really makes me sad as the face is one of the most important things on a model(and it always bugs me when you cant see details I work hard on). Barbaros is Crouching as well, but his head is still fully visible... I REALLY want to like this model, but I can feel that the motivation for using the time I would normally use on a model is slowly disappearing.

But I have promised myself to keep trying(which is also why I made this thread), so I have been thinking of using some green-stuff to push up the front side of the rock so her face will become fully visible... just not sure how that will look with her stance.

Any other suggestions of how to make her face more visible?

I simply wont dare to just cut off the tongue, I am really not good at sculpting anything, and will most likely just ruin the face instead >>

I just altered the rock she stand on though, and made it so she leans back a bit, so her face is facing forward instead of down, and suddenly you can see the model a lot better, and actually changes the entire dynamic of the pose into something much better imo. 

Not gonna lie here, the larger set of horns bother me.  They just look really cartoonish which doesn't fit the character or setting.  The model actually looked a lot better when I trimmed those off (kept the smaller horns though).  While I wouldn't mind a less cartoonish pair of horns, her head is so tiny the only thing that might even fit are the old Nekima horns...that I threw away and replaced on the old Nekima for being too damn tiny.

I've said it before buuut... with these small details you are almost required to airbrush primer thin and utilize conservative glazes.

I don't care too much since I just paint the details back on after anyway - like the stitching on Valedictorian and Student of Viscera's faces. It's next to impossible to keep the detail defined. :(

I love the big plain looking plastics (Hannah and the new DE) because I just add the character myself anyway (battle damage, rust and weathering, etc.) anyway.

I have used quite a lot of time on the Nekima model, and I am slowly coming to a very hard but very simple realization... I am simply not having fun painting her. There are so many details on her, but everything is just to small, there are no room to have fun, and the face is a mess because of the small toothpick tongue and... well the small everything besides those boobs >>

I am still not 100% sure if I will give up and buy a proxy, but I am damn close to do it :/

This is one of the main reasons I use white primer for everything. With very tiny details I can get pretty good definition and at a minimum basic highlights/shading just by using washes or glazes. Not sure what color primer you use, but thought I'd throw that out there.

You have my sympathy, though. I hate it when I can't do details on a good model that has them.

I have now bought a proxy, so I guess that means I kinda gave up on the new Nekima model.

The more I painted her the more I hated some of the design decisions, like her tongue, small face and other things we have already talked about to death. I still hope that Wyrd will make another version of her, as I know they can do her justice if given another chance.

• Like 1

I am sorry to hear that you had so much trouble. It sounds like the experience that I had painting Yamaziko and the skull from the Waldgeists set- the details for the mouth and nose were nearly nonexistent. They were really annoying to paint.

Just out of curiosity why didn't you just use the metal one? No need to proxy unless you just liked the model that you bought.

I am sorry to hear that you had so much trouble. It sounds like the experience that I had painting Yamaziko and the skull from the Waldgeists set- the details for the mouth and nose were nearly nonexistent. They were really annoying to paint.

Just out of curiosity why didn't you just use the metal one? No need to proxy unless you just liked the model that you bought.

I sadly also disliked the old metal version quite a bit :/