Is Brewmaster an NPE?

Hateful Darkblack

Just played my first Brewmaster game. I had a lot of fun: I played with Brewmaster, Apprentice, Fingers, Whiskey Golem, a Performer, and three Rooster Riders. The Rooster Riders killed enemy flankers and ran objectives. The rest were in a big ball.

By Turn Three, I had my opponent's Master (Mei Feng) and two Henchmen (Toshiro and Fuhatsu) all stuck near Brewmaster and Apprentice Wesley, and Poisoned, with Fingers nearby enough that they couldn't interract. On Turn Four, I soulstoned for initiative, did Drinking Contest, put negative twists and Poison on everything nearby, and proceeded from there. After an activation or two, my opponent conceded. (It was also getting late so it made sense.)

I felt bad about that! When models get stuck in the Brew-bubble, they are at -4 Wp and probably a negative flip, and just can't do ANYTHING. Is this common? Does it ruin games for people?

I like winning games and I like strong Masters, but I don't like debuffing my opponent until they don't want to play anymore.

Is Brewmaster an NPE? Is it just the first few times before the opponent learns how to counter them? What helps?

Other Brewmaster players, what do you do?

There was a recent thread about this very subject :)

http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/104677-boremaster/

But yeah, long story short, imagine it had been the Viks instead of Brewmaster. All those models would've been dead instead of stuck healing. Once you learn how to handle the Viks/Brewie, things will get better.

There was a recent thread about this very subject :)

http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/104677-boremaster/

But yeah, long story short, imagine it had been the Viks instead of Brewmaster. All those models would've been dead instead of stuck healing. Once you learn how to handle the Viks/Brewie, things will get better.

There is a huge difference though, Viks can't force you into pile. Brewmaster has Obey and there are a couple of good pushers in the Gremlin faction.

There is a huge difference though, Viks can't force you into pile. Brewmaster has Obey and there are a couple of good pushers in the Gremlin faction.

Well yeah, I meant it more as a general comparison, not as an identical situation. Since killing is better, Brewie has to have something going for him.

Also note that Brewie's effect is an Aura. You can move Brewie or your own models. If your models were dead, there would be no saving them but you can save them from Brewie.

• Like 1

Still he does sound and seem like he might be an NPE. None of us play him yet, as he isn't released but I'm afraid as soon as he's released there will be quite a few Brewies in our meta. :D we will get back to you then.

Gladly he will be released 2020 at this speed.

Still he does sound and seem like he might be an NPE. None of us play him yet, as he isn't released but I'm afraid as soon as he's released there will be quite a few Brewies in our meta. :D we will get back to you then.

Gladly he will be released 2020 at this speed.

He sounds like a "Hulk Smash" hybrid of McMourning and Pandora... I hope he never gets released  :D

Is Brewmaster an NPE? Is it just the first few times before the opponent learns how to counter them? What helps?

Brewmaster is one of those masters that you need to learn how to deal with, but once you do he is no different than playing against a lot of other masters with a distinct play-style. I find that feeding him models that can tie him up is one way to go. Another is some solid shooting. Anyway, I don't think he is any worse to play against than the Sonnias, Hamelins, Zoraidas, or Collodis of the world.

I can only hope my local Gremlins player doesn't get his hands on him or else I'll be facing his wrath... If I suspect this is going to be the case I'll rock out McMourning and show him how Poison is REALLY done ;)

"That's not a knife. THIS is a knife." - Crocodile Dundee or Ausplosions, can't remember.

• Like 1

Well you can come over to Finland and ruin our meta on your next vacation here. :P

Hahaha yeah, I'll bring the British brand of filth along with me to see how you guys handle that. I'll also be happy to McMourning to death any of your Gremlins players. Let's face it, they deserve it! 

If it ever does happen you will have no choice but to face my Tara crew  :D

Hahaha yeah, I'll bring the British brand of filth along with me to see how you guys handle that. I'll also be happy to McMourning to death any of your Gremlins players. Let's face it, they deserve it!

If it ever does happen you will have no choice but to face my Tara crew :D

Nonononono. I'm sick that day.

• Like 1

Nonononono. I'm sick that day.

Yeah, I thought you might come up with some sort of excuse to dodge that one. Well if you ever get over here on your longboat or however you crazy Finish like to travel these days I'll happily take on your McMourning again *shudders*

P.S. Ever noticed it's often us that derail these topics so much?

Back on topic... Brewmaster looks scary! 

• Like 1

The problem that I see with brewmaster is that once you know his trick then he can be laughably easy to handle. Condition cleanse, range, friendly pushes all neuter brewmaster. The issue is that unless you bring these things which you wouldn't normally when just hearing a faction declared. So the game becomes did I bring the rock or the scissors to the paper fight? 

I was the opponent and I called it more out of exhaustion and vassal messing up like 13212315352342 times. There were many points were the better play was to just skip whole activation's with models instead of testing on a 12 with WP 1 and getting more poison. Which would be fine if brewmaster could then do other actions but to keep me locked there, hateful was doing the samething. So there was a corner of the board where there was just no action and we just skipped it.

• Like 2

I was the opponent and I called it more out of exhaustion and vassal messing up like 13212315352342 times. There were many points were the better play was to just skip whole activation's with models instead of testing on a 12 with WP 1 and getting more poison. Which would be fine if brewmaster could then do other actions but to keep me locked there, hateful was doing the samething. So there was a corner of the board where there was just no action and we just skipped it.

Just out of curiosity, why did you bring Mei Feng? What were the strats and schemes for this particular game?

Strat - Stake a Claim

Scheme - Assassinate

Protect Territory

Cursed Object

Deliver A Message

I took Meifeng with toshiro for the emberling turns into three komainu trick, which worked pretty well.

• Like 1