Focus and Slug trigger against a Hard to kill model.

wizuriel

Question

So a quick questions on how this works. I had cranky focus and use the slug trigger to attack a model with hard to kill.

Focus gives me a positive on my next actions attack and damage flip

slug is a trigger that after damage I can make a x/y/z damage flip afterwards (can't be cheated)

and hard to kill is if you have 2 or more wounds if you suffer damage you can't go below 1 wound.

So the way we worked this out.

Cranky got positive on the attack and damage flip

Hard to kill went off keeping my opponent at 1 wound.

Slug then went and since it was triggered from the attack it still gets positive to the damage flip

opponent dies a shotguny death.

Just wanting to know if this is right since my opponent thought that either slug shouldn't get the positive damage flip or that hard to kill should wait for both damage flips and then apply afterwards.  

1) Focus: The model gains the following Condition until the end of the Turn: "Focused +1: This model may remove this Condition when declaring an Action to gain a number of :+fate  to the Action's duel and damage flip equal to the value of the Focused Condition removed."

Slug trigger is not the actions duel nor the actions damage flip.

so no :+fate to it.

but it would definitely circumvent hard to kill.

I'm not convinced. Okay, Accuracy, Focus and Hard Cover all have that wording that they modify the attack action's damage flip, and you are arguning that the triggers are not the actions. However, the definition of triggers specifically says:

"Triggers allow a model to change the results of an action. [...] If a trigger is part of a specific action it is listed below the action's description. These are called Action Triggers and are part of the action itself." (p.21, big rulebook).

So, if triggers just modify the action, and are part of the action, shouldn't they be modified by Accuracy, Focus and Hard Cover?

• Like 1

Why isn't Slug the Action's damage flip? It's a damage flip directly caused by the Action. Seems pretty clear-cut to me.

I thought so, too, but obviously it's not as obvious as I thought.  ;)

And now we sit and wait for Myyrä to arrive and Godlyness to reappear. :P

I was summoned!

It seems to me like Slug does not benefit from focus or suffer from cover.

If damage flips generated from triggers would benefit from focus, then that would pretty much mean that additional attacks generated by triggers would too. I think no one would like to play against Santiago after that.

• Like 1

Well i guess its mandatory to pop in now also.

(1) Sawed-Off Shotgun (Sh 5 / Rst: Df / Rg: z6): Target suffers 2/3 :blast /4 :blast  :blast  damage.
:crow  Slug: This Attack places no blast Markers. After damaging, perform a 2/3/4 damage flip against the target which may not be cheated. This model may not take the Sawed-Off Shotgun Action again this Turn.

"..... :+fate  to the Action's duel and damage flip equal to the value of the Focused Condition removed."

The Actions Damage flip is in This action is 2/3 :blast /4 :blast :blast

the Triggers Damage flip is 2/3/4

Yes the Trigger is Part of an Action, but a Trigger is not the Actions damage flip. It might generate a damage flip (hamelins pipes, slug,) but these damage flips are not Effected by the focus. If they were effected by focus then they would also be effected by the accuracy modifier which comes from the duel, and also Hard cover.

"The most common modifier placed on a damage flip is the Accuracy Modifier. Whenever a damage flip is the result of an Opposed Duel, the damage flip will gain a
Fate Modifier, which is determined by the difference between the two final duel totals." -page 46 Big book

Terrain with the hard cover trait will grant hard cover which imposes a :-fate  to the Attack and damage flip of any ( :ranged ) Attack Actions. - page 41

Again i cant convince you. At this point i am pretty sure Both of you have your hands over your ears Screaming LALALALALA. You will play it whatever way you want. And that is fine.

• Like 1

Again i cant convince you. At this point i am pretty sure Both of you have your hands over your ears Screaming LALALALALA. You will play it whatever way you want. And that is fine.

Seriously, I'm not. But your citations don't convince me. Your conclusions could be right, of course, but I don't see it as conclusive. Especially this:

"The most common modifier placed on a damage flip is the Accuracy Modifier. Whenever a damage flip is the result of an Opposed Duel, the damage flip will gain a

Fate Modifier, which is determined by the difference between the two final duel totals." -page 46 Big book

Yeah, that's true. But as triggers are part of the action, their damage flip can be argued to be a result of an opposed duel. That's how I read it. In fact, triggers modify the action's outcome. Likewise, the Dumb Luck trigger replaces the damage flip with another, and that one gets modified. I think, no one will argue that the trigger's damage flip is not the action's damage flip in such a case.

If they were effected by focus then they would also be effected by the accuracy modifier which comes from the duel, and also Hard cover.

Because of this line of thought, I argue that they are modified by Focus, Hard Cover and Accuracy.