Core crew for Marcus

Jas

Hi team Marcus

I've have joined team Marcus am yet to have a game using him. Having read through all the pages of Tactica for him. I'm still a bit confused and would like to know if there is a core crew that you would take to every game or does the whole crew selection depend on what strat's and schemes are drawn.

Thanks

Jas

You certainly can't go wrong with his starter box initially. Next in faction in my opinion would be the moleman as the are extremely effective scheme runners and are surprisingly resilient for 4ss. I feel they offer something that marcus' battle box is lacking and that is cheap durable schemers. They are also good targets for marcus' DF trigger.

The next purchase from the arcanists in my opinion is the malifaux raptors because they are absurdly cheap and again provide something valuable to a marcus crew. They are really great at quickly harassing ranged models as to let your brawlers get across the board easier. They can also mess around with your or your opponents deck, which can be great to set yourself up for an effective activation. They also can hand out the beast condition, which I probably don't need to explain how amazing that is in a marcus crew.

Outside of faction, I would say the canine remains is probably the strongest consideration. They are also dirt cheap and are great scheme runners, they also synergies well with they crew's ability to spam poison and charge for 1ap against poisoned models. Most of all they have an amazing trigger that gives the beast condition for the rest of the game. They can also give -1DF and -1WP, which can be devastating with marcus. You'll almost never regret spending 4ss on this model.

• Like 1

Canine Remains, Guild Hounds, Molemen, Waldgeists, and a Silurid or two..........are all staples after the starter (not necessarily in that order....though Canines are my go to cheap objective runner). After that it all comes in to filling up your tool box. Do I need harrassment models? Raptors and/or Night Terrors..............Do I need ranged attacks? Dawn Serpent / December Acolyte (I know, he's not a beast....but what a great gun!)...........Do I need a versatile solo runner/killer? Blessed of December.........etc.

It's all about picking the right tool for the job after you get your cheap objective runners.

As has already been said I think the great thing about Marcus is the fact that his pool selection is so large that's it's hard to say for certain he has a core crew.

Although I would add from personal experience I don't think I would play a game without two Silurids, they're just that damn good! Seriously for 6ss it's kinda ridiculous. A leap with the built in suit meaning it goes off on any card higher than a 4 makes them too good to turn away for any strategy or scheme that involves interacting at all.

Then it's about collecting as many options as your wallet allows ;) and have some amazing fun finding the countless synergies a Marcus crew can contain.

Also a mention of myranda. One if my favourite henchmen in the game. Her 3" bubble to give positive flips on Df and the ability to heal mean she can sit behind your front line beast (Waldgeists, cojo, slate ridge even Marcus) and make an immovable force in turf war and squatters rights. Then to add to it, this amazing 8ss henchman who has been buffing you all game, sacrifices herself in the later turns and becomes a 9ss killing machine Cerberus or blessed of December halfway across the board. It's almost not fair, almost ;)

I'm much less sold on silurids, they are good but 7 stones is pretty pricey so I rarely run more than (I rarely run even 1.)1. I agree there is no one crew what you will find is that there are models that will suit your play style, and you will likely take those frequently. For example I almost always run Miranda, one razorspine rattler, and at least one mole man, then fill in around that. Recently I've been including Cassandra a lot as she works well with molemen (with nimble), and practiced productions is a super powerful upgrade IMO.

That's the beauty of Marcus. I'll agree that Silurids are great. I rarely run more than one, but usually one is enough for Power Ritual, Plant Evidence, Breakthru, and the like.....but if those Schemes aren't in the pool, I don't take one. If there are Schemes where I need Scheme Markers on my side or out to about half way, I take the Canines and Molemen.....if there are no Scheme Marker Schemes I'll take something else. In Turf War I might run Cojo and two Waldgeists (I'm also a fan of throwing a Metal Gamin in with Cojo to give him Df 6).....but in Reckoning, Cojo stays home.

I wouldn't recommend that a new player go out and buy every beast available. You get the box set and a couple of blisters (preferably some cheap objective guys like Canines or Molemen)....and play several games with just that. You need to learn what beast works well where and when. Then, a month later maybe you pick up Waldgeists, or Silurids....and you run with them a few times.....a month or so later it's something else.

That way you take your time enjoying playing all these different things without getting bored and learning all the beasts......then you'll be a great Marcus player.

Agreed, I feel like the same is true for many masters, so much depends on your style as a player. Even for further out scheming I often find that canines and molemen are enough. My silurids usually get put in for things like deliver a message or plant explosives where a quick strike is needed.

In my mind, Marcus's crew box, one of the scheme runners (canine remains, molemen or silurids) and waldgeists give you enough choice to have some flexibility, but few enough options that you'll use the various things. If I were starting Marcus now, I'd get those, get them painted up, and play a bunch of games until I'm comfortable. Then I'd add another scheme runner box.

• Like 1

In my mind, Marcus's crew box, one of the scheme runners (canine remains, molemen or silurids) and waldgeists give you enough choice to have some flexibility, but few enough options that you'll use the various things. If I were starting Marcus now, I'd get those, get them painted up, and play a bunch of games until I'm comfortable. Then I'd add another scheme runner box.

Totally.

I'd only run 4....then you take The Hunger Cry for Howl and Domesticate (in case the enemy has some beasts). That's potentially a lot of Terrifying 13 (All) tests to take at -2 WP.....most models would need a 9+ to pass. I'd also take Trail of the Gods to make Marcus another killer with speed. Either Arcane Reservoir to help my hand or Feral Instincts for Feral to force Wp tests for Smell Fear......yes, they'd be at +2 WP after that, but if you pop Domesticate first then they'll be at neg flips against any Smell Fear attacks..

3 of the Rogues can have Imbued Energies.........and Marcus has a full 7ss pool so he can spam Law of Meat to force Wp tests to take more advantage of Smell Fear. (If I took Feral Instincts instead of Arcane Res, I'd drop to a 6ss pool to put Imb. Protection on the last Rogue.)

Also, taking 5 of them gives you 6 models.....giving your opponent potentially 3 Reckoning points......taking 4 cuts that down to a potential 2 points.

• Like 1

I just read the above, I'd look at

Marcus-gods domain, hungers cry

Myranda

4 rouges

Myranda sits back and hands out positive defense flips and healing. Marcus locks people down with law of meat and howl. Necrons beat on stuff. So long as you don't need to scheme a ton it would probably be ok.

Also, taking 5 of them gives you 6 models.....giving your opponent potentially 3 Reckoning points......taking 4 cuts that down to a potential 2 points.

Ypou know that s a false economy. Reckoning scores if you have no models left on the table

Lets assume they can kill 2 a turn on turns 2 and 3.

Turn 4 if you have taken 5, they need to kill Marcus and the 5ht Rogue to get tehr 3rd point.

If you only took 4 they just need to get Marcus.

Therefore The more rogue necromancies you take, the better!!!