Michaud's Terrain Thread

Michaud

It looks good but as a gaming board you have a lot of empty space. That board would favour a shooty crew a lot! Whilst I think the cacti and little rocky bits look really cool, they're not going to block line of site to stop you getting shot up or 'casted'! More obstacles would improve it, maybe piles of crates, more fencing, some small buildings like an outhouse or a shed or even some ruins like a burnt down building or just tumbled down bits of timber and stuff! Anyway, sorry if this comes accross negative, I'm just trying to give some constructive feedback!

Thanks Surreylee!  I'm happy with how the board and the crew turned out.

Jimbo, I intended on the cacti being played as Severe, Dense, hard cover for the cacti themselves.  Should close up line of sight a bit more as well.  I also have some crates I neglected to put out.  

It is a good point though, I did fail to recognize that the buildings themselves only block line of sight on the ground floor...  With that in mind, it is definitely too open.  Up on the roof you can see even more of the board!   Will definitely have to add some more true line of sight blocking terrain, thanks for the ideas!

The mat is made from a piece of canvas drop cloth from a home improvement store.  I added a layer of silicone caulk to it, then textured it with a paper bag.  Pretty much like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtRMoIZfPPg

• Like 2

Thanks Nikko!  The buildings are made from pieces of 2x4 lumber, cut into lengths and glued 2 blocks high.  The outsides were textured with balsa wood.  Rocks are made from pine bark nuggets.

Cacti are readily available from Pegasus Hobbies.  I picked mine up on EBay.

• Like 1

This looks great, how durable is the mat, as I was going to do something similar for a snow board. If you embedded sand/flock into the caulk would it withstand rolling the mat up?

Good question--I'd like an answer to it as well.

I also wonder how much the weight of the canvas matters.  I know there are regular weights and heavy weights---I assume that heavy is better, but does it matter or matter much?

The mat is extremely durable.  The canvas back adds enough strength that the caulking on top won't tear when pulled.  The caulking itself is durable on its own, it doesn't flake or peel from the canvas. Even with rough handling I can't see this mat tearing.  I don't think using heavyweight canvas would add a lot of durability, I'd say it has enough with just the normal weight canvas.

I don't know how well adding sand/flock to the mat would work.  I'd experiment with texturing the caulk with a variety of materials, and replicating the snow effect through paint first. 

• Like 2

The mat is extremely durable.  The canvas back adds enough strength that the caulking on top won't tear when pulled.  The caulking itself is durable on its own, it doesn't flake or peel from the canvas. Even with rough handling I can't see this mat tearing.  I don't think using heavyweight canvas would add a lot of durability, I'd say it has enough with just the normal weight canvas.

Very nice terrain by the way.  I have thought about using some of the Pegasus cactus but unfortunately I will have to order them direct from over here.

I can also attest to the durability of the mats since I have done three so far and they not only survived play but moving countries too.  I think that when you spread the caulk onto the mat you also force it into the canvas fibers.  In answer to the questions about embedding materials into the caulk I have heard both good and bad.  All my mats were textured latex caulk only.  Apparently, from what I have read, sprinkling sand or flock onto the surface does not work well.  It comes off over time.  It seems that if you mix the sand into the caulk before applying it, you will get a stable surface.  What I want to try is to use clear latex as an adheasive for static grass directly onto the surface.  Unfortunately I have not worked up the nerve to try it yet since a mistake will ruin one of my mats. 

Snitchy sends

• 3 weeks later...