I want to write a tactica about...

Ten11ths

I want to write a tactica about models that don't require cards from your control hand to work well. I could use a few extra thoughts to round out my own and also some community suggestions about models that fit the description.

Here's the gist::

Cards are a precious resource, and there are many models that NEED cards from your hand to be effective. There are also models that do not require cards to be effective. Pretend there is an imaginary stat on each of your cards that equals the amount of cards from your hand that you will need for that model to be effective each turn. Lets call it Cards Required or CR. Then, theoretically you should add up that stat from among your whole crew and if it is greater than six you may have a problem on your hands (pun mileage may vary). 

This comes largely from playing against and with Punk Zombies who are one of the prototypical examples of this for me. A PZ has base melee 6 with plus flips. Once he is in combat he really needs no further investment, though, your lowest card in hand could give him flurry if you wanted. This would be a CR of 1 or .5 if you want to get fancy. Half CR could represent simply discarding a card which is almost always less of a resource investment than a specific suit or higher card.

When a model has such low card investment it becomes less and less about how much they can accomplish on their own and more about how they are supporting the rest of your crew just by leaving them excellent cards to use. 

High base stats are definitely a major factor in this but there are others and I would love some of your opinions on them. 

What does everybody think? What are your favorite models that require minimal or no cards to be effective?

Great idea!  A couple other models I see use few cards to get the juices rolling...

Sticking in the Resser theme, I think Belles are another model that does not require cards invested to work effectively.  With an 8 Lure, they will pretty much never need to cheat.  They're so easy to hit that you're never going to cheat to have them missed.  Their defenses come from Hard to Wound and lots of wounds, neither of which require a card investment on your part.  And they're cheap enough that if you lose one early, it's not that big a deal.

I think Ten Thunders Brothers are another model that requires no or low cards to function.  I tend to use them to shore up scheme markers and protect them, and neither of those functions require them to use cards.  About the only time I use cards is when using their (0) and then it doesn't matter the value of the card - only the suit.  They're a high defense so usually they're going to require a higher investment from your opponent to kill.

I find that decembers acolytes do fairly well without a lot of hand support. As do Metal gamin as several of there key abilities just occur and there zero action is ca8. It could be argued that nearly all the resser minions perform fairly well without hand support. But looking it most minions can do there job without a lot of hand support. I'm primarily a resser player so those examples spring to mind quicker as I know they do for you as well Math.

I don't think there are actually all that many models that NEED a card from your hand.

I'd look at the summoners, and a few of the repeat triggers (probably the Cerberus and the Rail Golem as the main offenders that don't have the ability to SS in a suit) or powerful triggers (nurse), but otherwise most things in my play style don't need much hand support. (Prehaps I'm just used to poor hands, and how to work around them)

As such I'd certainly be interested in reading a tactica about it, to see where you are coming from

Torakage, Bayou Gremlins and Slop Haulers spring to mind. Guild Riflemen, Watchers and Austringers as well. Piglets and the Stuffed variety thereof. Night Terrors.Rats :D

Austringers? Really? A pair of them basically condemn my friend to a four card hand from turn two onwards.

Yeah, the more I look at which Crews succeed, the more it turns up that Crews with card control are the winning ones. Generating more cards during play wins. Draining enemy cards wins.

Surge and Bewitched and Mulligan and so on have such a huge effect, and yet it's so strangely invisible.

I think Punk Zombies actually often do need a card, but just the low card to get Flurry off.

I would love to see a tactica on this.