Great quality and affordable bases on KS

Viruk

CoolMiniOrNot is running yet another interesting KS campaign. This time they've joined forces with Micro Art Studio - a Polish company that has been in the business for over a decade. MAS is particularly well known for producing top-notch resin bases. Now they've created something new - some awesome base inserts that are actually cast in... plastic. It makes them much easier to work with as your plastic miniatures are going to hold tight without the need to pin them in place.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolminiornot/coolminiornot-base-system-featuring-micro-art-stud/widget/video.html

ec56778d286613217a2f2eb0abe80b43_large.p

The campaign is already a success. At the moment there are five styles of bases to choose from. For the price of $22 (plus the shipping cost) you're getting 34 (!!!!) bases. That's 34 standard lipped bases with 34 plastic inserts. A really great deal, these fit many crews in Malifaux thematically. Check out the campaign page here.

How good are CMON at shipping to Europe on time? I know MAS are polish but I've never backed a kickstarter before, I know Zombicide was a success but I'm unfamiliar with US companies supporting UK/European pledges.

These look amazing though, and exactly what I want for the hobby. Needs some zen garden ones for Ten Thunders though.

How good are CMON at shipping to Europe on time? I know MAS are polish but I've never backed a kickstarter before, I know Zombicide was a success but I'm unfamiliar with US companies supporting UK/European pledges.

These look amazing though, and exactly what I want for the hobby. Needs some zen garden ones for Ten Thunders though.

Yeah, it's frustrating to have to pay $20.00 for shipping from the U.S. when the company is based in the EU!

How good are CMON at shipping to Europe on time?

Shipping information - Please take note

Based on past experience, we will be charging shipping after the Kickstarter concludes, based on the actual costs incurred to ship to your location.  We will collect this via our pledge manager after the campaign concludes.

This is so we can be fair to all our backers, as shipping is rarely one size fits all. This also gives you more stretch goodies and possibly a choice of carrier options.  

We will ship your rewards at our cost to our international hubs. Depending on where in the world you are, we will either ship to you from our hub in Germany (EU backers), China (Asia Pacific backers), Canada (Canadian backers), Australia (Australia backers), or Atlanta (USA and the rest of the world). Since this campaign is only for plastic bases, we expect shipping to be cheaper then our other campaigns. Here are our rough shipping estimates to locations around the world: 

$8 to ship in the USA, about $15-$20 in the EU (due to VAT), $8 to Hong Kong, and $10 - $15 Australia, thanks to a new shipping partner, but this may increase or decrease based on the quantity of stretch goals we may unlock and your carrier choices.

TBH I prefer this guys bases:

http://basicks.eu/shop/index.php

He's also based in Poland and I've never once had cause to complain about his service, quality or postage costs.

Funnily enough he used to be part of Microart until I think he had a falling out with the other guy.

Thanks for pointing these out. There's some really nice bases there.

• Like 1

Just a little of my personal opinion/insight here, but you really leave it to fate with CMoN.

Sometimes they do everything right (the recent Dogs of War Kickstarter they did even managed to ship early and be rather high quality (my copy, at least)), sometimes they deliver as promised, but the product is an unplayable lemon (looking at you, Sedition Wars).

Then sometimes they flip the Black Joker and it's so detrimental that the partnership just plain evaporates (Relic Knights).

This particular project probably isn't that bad as it's relatively small and they're not slathering it with KS exclusives - but the shipping can be high on their stuff since they started charging after project completion (which is fair, in my opinion, but it can really screw over EU backers).

Now they've created something new - some awesome base inserts that are actually cast in... plastic. It makes them much easier to work with as your plastic miniatures are going to hold tight without the need to pin them in place.

Just a note that PVC doesn't take to plastic glue so you will need to use super glue and I would therefore still suggest pinning.

Hopefully the mold lines will be on the sides, so cleaning up should be a breeze.

• 2 months later...

The kickstarter is about to ship soon. The deadline for finalization is up. You should look into the actual production runs of these things - they are amazing! These are without doubt the highest quality of bases I have ever seen and I can't wait til they get all the lines out.

Also of note - Basicks has a great eBay store anf they are always on the cheap end since they are (from what I can tell) made to order and bulk shipped. From a huge supporter and user of Basicks products I can say that they are the most elaborate and creative base designs you'll ever see that are actually produced (the powerplant and biotech in particular are simply amazing) plus a hige assortment of some of the best small terrain features you'll find.... buuuuut expect to put a lot of time into cleaning them up and repairs - low production quality: lots of bubbles and certain parts are thin, break easily, or missing completely.

These Micro Art "premium bases" are going to be the future of miniature bases, without a doubt AND (SPOILER ALERT) Dark Age already makes them ;) (though, I mean, most are really boring in comparison).