The new upgrades

zFiend

I didn't think that the faction upgrades included in the Avatar beta were coming out with book 2, only the Samurai upgrades because the models were coming out. Everything else I thought was going to come out with the Avatar release. That not the case?

Yup, in the end they were included in this wave of decks. From what I've heard, no changes since the last pdf, but not 100% about it.

• Like 1

Yup, in the end they were included in this wave of decks. From what I've heard, no changes since the last pdf, but not 100% about it.

what/where are the new decks?

I checked the store, still down for con.

are they available anywhere for purchase?

Im confused as I just bought what I thought were the new decks a few months ago.

-j

The decks you bought a few months ago are more than likely the Wave 1 Arsenal decks. The Wave 2 ones were available during GenCon and are no doubt due for release during the next few months. Wave 1 had all the masters shown in the current book whilst the new ones will have all the remaining masters and some additional upgrades from the new book Malifaux Crossroads.

Anyone with the old files mind sharing them? Would like to know which kind of stuff is in there.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cynasmyptkconzc/GenericFactionUpgrades.pdf?dl=0

This link should take you to the file in my dropbox. As far as I can recall it was the very last file update before the old beta files were taken down. I could be wrong though as there still appears to be 4 Samurai upgrades rather than the 3 new ones. At the very least it gives you an idea of what is to come.

• Like 1

There were a few tweaks to the new Upgrades since the last beta PDF:

• Hidden Agenda: Friendly Oiran now have to be in LoS

• Favor of Jigoku: Renamed from Favor of Fire

• Favor of Heaven: Renamed from Favor of Wind

• Deleted Favor of Water (4th Samurai Upgrade)

• Necrotic Preparation: Now counts towards Upgrade limit; new Ability grants bonus to disengaging strikes

• Dampening Field: When tactical action is used, Auras can not originate from target model until end of NEXT turn
  • Like 2

On Wings of Wind is golden, though will probably be mostly a Mei Feng thing since she has no 0 action and it's a damn good one to get (she also loves the free push to prep up to be the horrible annoying nightmare she knows she can be at the end of a turn). Smoke Grenades is awesome and I'm not that surprised it went to rare 1, sad a master can't use it though and Blot out the Sky gives a lot of new life to the archers, though they still need a bloody babysitter. Not really thrilled about Hidden Agenda because it frankly seems lazy to me "ok, Oiran kind of suck, lets give them a way to get 2 of the best conditions in the game on them and call it a day!", being able to get the crow when luring friendly models and a way to use their 2 AP action more reliably and it not being a complete joke compared to a normal attack would have been good enough for me, but don't look a gift horse in the mouth and all that.

Blot Out the Sky can be on pretty much anybody who likes being in the middle playing commander, so we have a ton of places to put it. Hidden Agenda though stinks Fuhatsu, at most Sidir to me, since I want to trigger it often, so range is the magical part in the equation there. Mr Tannen could also be a decent way to trigger it since he is low priority and I don't expect the opponent to cheat much against his action as well as not being a ranged action and immune to cover. Chiaki could have the same role, but I really like the Slow upgrade on her and she is only Ca 5 at the start after all.

• Like 1

They're not great.  They're quite expensive (6SS) and their Lure doesn't have a built in suit.  I know I often don't use them and if I do only one because they are expensive for what they do (and I play Ressers as my main faction so compare them to Belles which are a country mile better).  But wondering what has given them a buff in the new cards to make them worth taking.

They're not great.  They're quite expensive (6SS) and their Lure doesn't have a built in suit.  I know I often don't use them and if I do only one because they are expensive for what they do (and I play Ressers as my main faction so compare them to Belles which are a country mile better).  But wondering what has given them a buff in the new cards to make them worth taking.

Well, they are 5 SS models actually, 6 if you hire them as mercs. At 5 SS they tend to be overshadowed by most 5 SS models in the faction with their real saving graces being that they can use smoke and shadows (and since they have worse innate options than Torakage, are more dedicated to putting smoke up) and the +1 Wp aura which can be golden. What kills them is that they are unreliable in pretty much everything they do.

Lure? Need a suit, no hit trigger? need a suit, 2 Ap multi attack action? almost impossible to use with 2 Ap and 1" range and when you can use it, you notice that you need at least to connect 3 times to make it better than just using focus and punching with your normal attack and trying to go for moderate/severe. They just aren't reliable. What the upgrade gives them is Fast and Focus, doesn't really help them in any of their core problems, but being able to get 3 AP and a Focus to a degree lets them be a lot more competent, either by becoming objective grabbers or if in combat, being able to make 2 separate attacks, both focused, making their melee go up by a big margin. Basically, Fast and Focus makes almost everything better, so the same logic applies to the Oiran, my theory hat thinks it's a bit too much, but I'll have to try it.

• Like 1

Apologies, I thought they were Oiron were 6SS (I'm used to the more expensive TT options as I haven't added in Brothers/Tengu yet which I really need to do!).  I assume the upgrade is carried by somebody else to give them said buff?

Yeah, pretty much, every time the guy with the upgrade damages something, all the Oiran in LoS get hot and bothered (get fast and focus). So you tend to want to give it to something with a ranged prescence. The upgrade is 0 SS though, so you can perfectly justify just bringing a single Oiran, though obviously, multiples are better.

Yeah, pretty much, every time the guy with the upgrade damages something, all the Oiran in LoS get hot and bothered (get fast and focus). So you tend to want to give it to something with a ranged prescence. The upgrade is 0 SS though, so you can perfectly justify just bringing a single Oiran, though obviously, multiples are better.

The natural go-to models for this I guess are Fuhatsu or Sidir. Both have some very nice ranged presence on the table and can offer a nice boost to crews taking Oiran whilst they are at it. Misaki seems to be the best place to play multiple Oiran because they can also benefit from the Smoke and Shadows upgrade. Fuhatsu and Sidir also add some nice ranged fire power to her crew which she tends to lack within the Last Blossom models although Archers and Samurai are always an alternative option I guess.