about engagement

jonatep

Question

19 answers to this question

If an ennemy is in your engagement range but you are not in his, can he still move? I would think that he can only take ca action or try to disengage

Note that your model also counts as being engaged, removing their ability to charge or use gun icon attacks. However, unlike the enemy, you may move away freely, since they are not close enough to take disengaging strikes in order to stop you.

From page 48 of the small rulebook:

• Models are engaged with each other if either model is within the engagement range of the other...
  • Engagement goes both ways; if an enemy model is within an enemy's engagement range, both the enemy and the model are engaged with each other.

Therefore if A and B have 1" and 3" engagement ranges respectively, and they're 2" apart, then both A and B are engaged with each other. B can walk out of engagement (but not charge or fire projectiles) without A making a disengaging strike, as they weren't in A's engagement range to begin with. However A would need to suffer a disengaging strike from B if they wanted to walk out of B's engagement range (though they could walk another 1" further away B without penalty).

Well that's my understanding. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong!

**Edit - Ninja'd!!**

From page 48 of the small rulebook:

• Models are engaged with each other if either model is within the engagement range of the other...
  • Engagement goes both ways; if an enemy model is within an enemy's engagement range, both the enemy and the model are engaged with each other.

Therefore if A and B have 1" and 3" engagement ranges respectively, and they're 2" apart, then both A and B are engaged with each other. B can walk out of engagement (but not charge or fire projectiles) without A making a disengaging strike, as they weren't in A's engagement range to begin with. However A would need to suffer a disengaging strike from B if they wanted to walk out of B's engagement range (though they could walk another 1" further away B without penalty).

Well that's my understanding. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong!

**Edit - Ninja'd!!**

Hello, followng your example, can A Ml attack B? He is engaged but not in melee range (2" appart vs 1" Ml range). Does he have to move and then attack?

Thanks.

No, you have to be within Ml range to attack so although you would be engaged you would still have to move then attack as you suggest.  However, for things like Deliver a Message, Distract etc. you only have to be engaged, and not within your Ml range.  So if something with a 3" range has engaged you and you only have a 1" Ml range you can still do those schemes (although Cursed specifically states 1" if memory serves me correct).

Any (0) moves can catch you off guard IMO, although there's a plethora of ways to Deliver a Message without activating while engaged. The nastiest trick played on me on my few games was a waldgeist dropping germination markers next to itself to increase its melee range to score Deliver a Message. (Although in hindsight I should've seen it coming...)

• Like 1

If model A is engaged with model B but model B does not have an engagement range Model A is free to shoot move and do what ever it likes? And if you target Model B with a SH attack would you randomise model A and B?  

No.

If Model A is engaged with model B, then Model B is engaged with model A.  Whilst engaged you can't declare a charge or do an action with a gun Icon (or interact unless it targets an engaged model).

If Model B has no claw attacks (or just no claw attacks in ramge of Model A) then model A can declare a walk action and just leave engagement as Model B can't do a disengaging strike.

If you do a gun attack at either model then the attack will randomise (because you are targetting an engaged model) between the target and any models with in 2" of the target. This might or might not include the model its engaged with (it could have a longer engagement range than 2"), as well as unengaged models.

If model A is engaged with model B but model B does not have an engagement range Model A is free to shoot move and do what ever it likes? And if you target Model B with a SH attack would you randomise model A and B?  

Not exactly.

First, Sh has nothing to do with randomization or engagement. Perdita can shoot you just fine from an inch away. It's the :ranged that matters.

Second, in your example, model A is free to move because model B cannot make a disengagement strike. Model A cannot charge or attack someone with a :ranged attack because it's still engaged.

Aaaaaaaaaand Adran was faster.

ha ha its a race its a race.... Thanks I meant the gun should have been more specific. Perdita has a gun or 1" range :P. thanks for the help it you cleared it up for me. So both models are engaged even though one of them has no engagement range.

Yes, engagement range means how far you can engage someone, and how far you can strike. Being engaged means that you either engage someone or someone engages you.

And Perdita has a gun with both 14" :ranged  and 2" :melee . That means she can shoot you unengaged from up to 14", or engaged from up to 2". If your engagement range is larger than 2", you're in luck.

I thought engaged means engaged full stop?  So either model can do a disengaging strike on the other if they attempt to move out of being engaged?  So for example if Pandora (3" engagement range) and a Necropunk (1" engagement range) are 2" apart then Pandora can attack the Necropunk but the Necropunk can't attack Pandora without moving first.  But if either want to leave the engagement then they would have to successfully defend a disengaging strike?  If this is not correct can somebody point me in the right direction rules/FAQ wise please?

The model that wants to make the disengaging strike needs to have a claw attack that can target the disengaging model. If Pandora is outside the necropunks 1 " raneg when she announces her walk, then the Necropunk has no legal attack to use to try and stop her.

If you look in the rule book at disengaging strikes then it mentions using a claw attack that is in range.

edit

Yay, on Ninja form today!

I'm with Jonahmaul on this one, I have been playing it wrong. I read the rule Smokey Joe said and thought if you had a  :melee 2 and a  :melee 1 standing 2 inches apart, then they could both hit each other and make disengaging strikes. Didn't realise it was still an individual thing, has cleared up something I never really understood clearly  :)

• Like 1