Marcus - how many beasts can a beastmaster beast?

Ludvig

I'm just getting started with Marcus. I've painted most of the beasts in Arcanists (no Scorpius or poison gamin) but I don't have many non beasts. I also own the swampfiend beasts, a rougarou, a rogue necromancy, some canines, guild hounds and a couple of night terrors so I'm pretty well covered in beasts. I also have Marcus' avatar so I could field the emissary. I also own Angelica and a performer for some scheming help.

Can I play Marcus pretty much all beasts or will I be missing some faction all stars that would really up my game? I've always thought Joss seems pretty boss on acount of ignoring a lot of defenses for example. Is he pretty much mandatory for killy games? The december whatevers who slow people with shots also seem pretty great along with mages but I'm not sure if I really need them. My approach is basically that I want to have a decent shot in tournament play at least based on my available model choices. I can't really get around the skill requirement except for getting games in. :) 

I'd be grateful for any suggestions in this matter.

Running Marcus with all beasts is perfectly viable. The Sabertooth Cerberus and Blessed of December work well as extremely mobile beaters, and Canine Remains or Hoarcat Prides can work as scheme runners. I tend to add in a Rogue Necromancy, since it is one of my favorite beasts in any faction. 

Adding non-Beast models can work. When I started playing Marcus, I would run a December Acolyte or Howard Langston for some added firepower, but I’ve done that less as i’ve become more accustomed to using the beasts to their strengths.

All in all, Marcus is a powerful enough master to run well with whichever models you want to run with him. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I like union steamfitter. The card tricks they offer are excellent. They can give Marcus armour. And I find they are good schemers too: their zero action allows them to drop two markers per turn and, since you place the marker of the zero action, you can get it less than 4 inches from another one. Pretty nice for things like search the ruins.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I bring a handful of Beasts with Marcus.  Usually the Rogue Necro, Malifaux Raptor, Myranda, and a Hoarcat Pride or two.  If I bring a model that's not a Beast, I usually make it into one for the whole game with the trigger from the Malifaux Raptor.  Marcus interacts with the Beast keyword so well that it makes a lot of sense to either bring more than a few Beasts or to turn them into one and then heal them up with Myranda. Since most Beasts are melee focused, I like to bring Anna along for many, many reasons but mostly because she doesn't randomize into melee.  Although between her and Rogue Necro, it's a hard choice sometimes, especially since you can give the Rogue Necro armor now. 

Btw, definitely bring the Steamfitter. 

• Thanks 1