Does Nellie need mercs?

Beta

Hi there,

I'm currently updating my Malifaux shopping list for the next months and I'm wondering if I really need mercs with Nellie. Yes she can take them without tax. And yes there are some really good ones out there. But I just can't fit them in my lists. Since I have to pay 1SS to take them I want to take more than 2 to benefit from the upgrade. But then I'm missing SS for the rest (especially if I'm taking costly models like Aionus, McTavish, Bishop, etc.).

So...do I really need to invest money in mercs? Doesn't Guild offer enough good models to play her on a higher level?

What's your opinion?

You don't "NEED" mercs.  You might want mercs, and I would say you probably want to be hiring 3 mercs to make that upgrade worth it. ((if you only hire 2 and have a spare slot on Nellie then I'd take it, but I probably wouldn't have left the spare slot most of the time). 

Bishop, McTavish and Burt are popular because they get a lot of ap to abuse debt and fast. Bishop for example can do six attacks at min 4 in a single activation.

I don't think you need mercs to play a good Nellie game, you only need them if you want people to hate your guts and ask for errata.

Speaking of errata I wouldn't exactly jump in surprise if the january errata targeted Nellie in some way because she seems to cause a lot of grief. 

You definitely dont need mercs to run Nellie. Guild has plenty of great beater models to run with her, but I will say there are some mercs that a definitely worth taking. In the lists that I run, I usually only end up running one need merc so her upgrade isn't worth it and I replace it with Guild Funds. Ive gotten a lot of mileage out of Hannah as having 8 cards every turn is a big advantage in my opinion. 

Honestly, I haven't played Nellie much with Wave 5 yet, but for their points, it is hard to match models like Burt, Johan, or Big Jake.  And models like McTav and Bishop (and burt) as said above, love love love what Nellie is bringing for them.  

That being said, there is a lot of fun game to have with Nellie outside of the merc heavy tournament builds.  There are builds which load heavy on Guild Funds, and then use the evidence to push the opposing crew around like crazy.    You could build a fees focused list with 2 lawyers, jury and Nellie with her new upgrade.  You could focus on pulling one opponent at a time, and then lighting him on fire for Sammy H to do his thing.  Heck, I've built Grimwell lobotomy assassin lists, lists that drop flaming bullets at the top of two a couple times into my opponents before blowing papa in their midsts, and many lists that focus on pushing opposing models into traps.

She is an incredibly flexible model, and her activation control gives her the freedom to try lots of things she couldn't otherwise.  Don't be afraid to mess around with some off brand shenanigans with her.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies so far. I think I still have much to learn. Coming from games where you build one list and play that exclusively, the concept of being able to play a different list every game is still a bit troubling ^^
So I think I'll wait for the next Errata and see if there are changes before investing in mercs I may not want anymore after that.

5 hours ago, Ludvig said:

Bishop, McTavish and Burt are popular because they get a lot of ap to abuse debt and fast. Bishop for example can do six attacks at min 4 in a single activation.

I don't think you need mercs to play a good Nellie game, you only need them if you want people to hate your guts and ask for errata.

Speaking of errata I wouldn't exactly jump in surprise if the january errata targeted Nellie in some way because she seems to cause a lot of grief. 

Do you suggesting that Nellie will get nerf in hers up and not McT or Burt? C'mon it will be the most ridiculous errating ever :D

4 minutes ago, Atoli said:

Do you suggesting that Nellie will get nerf in hers up and not McT or Burt? C'mon it will be the most ridiculous errating ever :D

I wouldn't want to speculate on particulars but I would be surprised if they didn't try to squeeze that combo in one way or another after what happened to Sonnia when she was doing well. I've heard most of the complaints on Nellie taking them, gremlins haven't been as bad since they raised piglets to stop the out-activation there. Might be they go straight for the models.

7 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

I wouldn't want to speculate on particulars but I would be surprised if they didn't try to squeeze that combo in one way or another after what happened to Sonnia when she was doing well. I've heard most of the complaints on Nellie taking them, gremlins haven't been as bad since they raised piglets to stop the out-activation there. Might be they go straight for the models.

Yeah i understand the issue, but if McT and Burt are to good with nellie it not her up that need fixing but McT and Burt. They're only good with her? Other factions do not support them in the same op lvl? If thats the case make them another lazarus and its fixed. If another factions also use them in the same level drop mercenary for them.

6 minutes ago, Atoli said:

Yeah i understand the issue, but if McT and Burt are to good with nellie it not her up that need fixing but McT and Burt. They're only good with her? Other factions do not support them in the same op lvl? If thats the case make them another lazarus and its fixed. If another factions also use them in the same level drop mercenary for them.

Or give them Ability "Very, very greed: You always pay a marcenary tax for this model. Always".

If its not enough and you think he still will be worth his points in op level it can be changed: "You always pay 2SS for marcenay tax for this model. Always"

In this case they dont have nerf in theirs original faction but not always are considerate as must pick for Nellie.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Stonewall78 said:

You all are reminding me it is better to have some friends than to pick up the Nellie crew box...

Haven't picked her up either but she is probably not worse than some of the other top masters out there. At least she doesn't summon. They should totally do a merc with resourceless summoning next wave. :D 

10 hours ago, 4thstringer said:

There are plenty of ways to play Nellie that won't make people hate you.   Just leave Misleading Headlines in the box and you will have made a good start.

I want them to hate me. Since they are playing mean things I want to pay them back with even meaner things ^^
Now I just have to get good atb the game :P

• Haha 1

I like gunslingers, with debt + Jury they looks interesting. But I rare use mercs up, in 99% I take Guilds Founds to get extra CC, Misleading Headlines to outactivate opponent, and Delegation and think that changing any of those to mercs one is not reasonable. (And to be honest I even don know is it reasonable to change any of this to some up from Broken Promises)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, icebreaker said:

I like gunslingers, with debt + Jury they looks interesting. But I rare use mercs up, in 99% I take Guilds Founds to get extra CC, Misleading Headlines to outactivate opponent, and Delegation and think that change any of those to mercs not reasonable. (And to be ones I even don know is it reasonable to change any of this to some up from Broken Promises)

The one time I took one my opponent underestimated his firepower. Felt like a better version of Santiago