First GG17 game - help needed

Dr. Laser 3000

Hello everybody. 

This is my first post in the fraction subforum but I have been a silent reader for more than two years. That is why, first of all, I would like to say thank you for all the really helpful advise I was able to gain from your discussions and all the creative/crazy ideas so many of you are producing (looking into the general direction of 4thstringer ;-) )

My group is slowly progressing to gg17 and I am going to have my first match thursday evenening against Gremlins. As I have no experience with these strat and schemes, I kindly ask for advice. The pool is:

Deployment: Standard Deployment (7)
Strategy: Headhunter (Tomes)
Schemes: 
  * Claim Jump (Always)
  * Accusation! (Masks)
  * Leave Your Mark (Tomes)
  * Hidden Trap (5)
  * Last Stand (13)

I own the Hofmann, Perdita, Sonnia and Nellie boxes, Emissary, effigy, Abuela, Ryle, Witchling Handler.

I was planning on playing something like this: 

50 SS Guild Crew
Nellie Cochrane + 4 Pool
 - Misleading Headlines (1)
 - Guild Funds (1)
The Printing Press (3)
Phiona Gage (8)
 - Transparency (1)
Francisco Ortega (8)
 - Wade In (1)
Peacekeeper (11)
Field Reporter (4)
Watcher (4)
Field Reporter (4)
Field Reporter (4)

(exported from CrewFaux)

Watcher is there to generste evidence on the first turns and then fly to the enemy half to drop markers for "leave your mark". Peacekeeper (never played him before, finished psinting last week) can harpune enemies closer to have an easier access to heads for headhunter.

I am completely unsure about my second scheme ... and also if Nellie is even the best choice as I have her box only since two months and played her twice with two draws in standard Strat and Schemes.

• Like 1

I`ll start with saying "you`re kind of late to the party" as GG18 is just around the corner.

The list looks very good. I would drop 1 Reporter to give Frank/Phiona and PK A Debt to the Guild/Numb to the World and Delegations to Nellie with emphasis on the last thing.

Leave Your Mark is a pretty risky thing, especially if you want to use the Watcher to give evidence T1. In Standard deployment you will need 4 Walks minimum to place a marker which means 5 AP. If you waste turn 1 I doubt you`ll be able to do it T2 and T3. 

Claim Jump is definitely doable and then I would pick my second scheme depending on my enemies crew. Last Stand, Hidden Trap and  LYM are all doable but there`s a high number of interacts required.

• Like 1

The first thing to do it make sure you understand what you're doing. 

head hunter requires you pick up heads. Most of he time you need to kill something to get a head, but it is completely allowed to pick up the head of a fallen comrade. as long as they were killed by the otherside. 

So as a general rule ranged attacks are less useful than close combat attacks (Because the head is dropped within 3" of the killed person and if you have done it in close combat you can have the head in your engagement range so they can't easily interact with it). 

A common approach is to have a few good beaters to create the heads,and then use cheap models to collect them. It is very hard for a model to both kill a model and collect the head itself. So if you can get some chain activation (Beater  then cheap activation) you might get an advantage. 

You may also want to build a list with Pushes to help free heads. I try and include models with don't mind me, but I'm not sure if you have any. 

Schemes -

Last stand is hard, you need to build an elite crew that is out numbered by your opponent, and stay out numbered. 

Hidden trap might be hard, unless you think you will be having several of their models in a set area at the end of the game. 

Accusation is basically cursed object, except you need to do it to models before they activate. It is certainly something  to consider if you are expecting to spend a lot of time engaged. 

Leave your Mark - You need to drop scheme markers 6" into their half, so if you are playing standard deployment that means you need to travel at least 18" inches in a straight line before you can drop a marker. If you are going for this I find its a risk to only have 1 model doing this as they can normally easily move someone to be near the marker to prevent you being able to use it. (its a little bit like break through except you need to do it every turn)

Claim Jump needs you to drop 2 markers near the half way lien each turn. It will remove all your markers near teh half way line when you score, so be careful if you are trying to do this and hidden trap. 

And as a general comment on your list, I would drop the 3rd reporter and put in a brutal effigy. Unless you really have a plan that requires multiple of a model, I prefer having variety to be able to adapt. 

Nellie can certainly do this, and I think its worth tryign her out. 

I think I would probably plan on accustaion and claim jump with  her, but I'm not very familiar with her. If you think you can get the other schemes, then go for it. 

This looks like a job for hoffman given your models.  Emissary, PK, 2 hunters, Guardian and a watcher, plus his upgrades and you should be sniffing 50ss.  Fill in with Debt to the guild for peacekeeper.

That will make lym more doable, and otherwise you want to do claim jump and keep your hoffball together.  Save the Peacekeeper's activation for near last on the final turn, or break up the ball, unless you know your opponent doesn't have hidden trap at that point.

Just now, Dr. Laser 3000 said:

Thank you for the feedback!

Concerning the reporters and leave your mark: I was hoping I could use the transparency trigger to get scheme markers drpped in the enemy half. 

Good point about the heads of my own models. I really did not think about that. 

For your LYM plan to work you need to:

Have an enemy model ~6" from the centerline.

Have a high tome

Have a reporter in range and LoS

Hit the enemy

Make him move somehow because by default if he`s not a peon he will block LYM for you.

Yeah, maybe get your group to consider whether you all actually want to go through learning GG2017, when GG2018 is only a month away. The final draft pdf is here (second post down). 

Even though it's not officially released yet with all the bells & whistles, this is pretty much what GG18 will be.

Do what you all want though, of course! Depends how active the tournament scene is where you are, I guess. The Scheme rotations usually feature older Schemes anyway, if your tournaments use those.

• Like 1

The game was today and I wanted to give you guys a little summary.

My opponent played Wong with Totem, Merris, Burt Jebson, Samy, Taxidermist, and 2 lightning bugs. His schemes were claim jump and LYM.

I played the hoff with totem, ryle hunter guardian Emissary and Peacekeeper. On the end I took last stand and accusation.

Turns out Hoffman was the right choice. I scored 3 for Headhunter, 3 for Last Stand and 2 for accusation. My opponent scored 6 for noth schemes but did not get a single head. Throughout the game i killed only one model and kept the ball tightly together till round 4, when my totem was killed and wong scattert the Ball with several pushes.

Last stand worked perfectly due to the (self)healing powers of the crew and the master and their general high resilience.

Thanks for your advice everyone

• Like 4