Molly startcrew getting to 50 SS

Butch

I started to play with Molly. The reason was Philip and the nanny - I love this model.

Now I want to get to a first 50 SS list.

What I have: Molly, Philip, 3 Crooligans, Necrotic Machine, 3 Punkzombies, 3, Rotten Belles, 2 Dead Doxies, Rogue Necromancy, Rafkin

So what would you recommend for some kind of a TAC list starting from my models. Especially what to hire. As I'm still learning to play the game I'm looking for a somewhat more straight forward list with not too many shenanigans.

nurses are fantastic often, so grabbing them/mcmournings box is definitely a good move. I'd also look at getting drowned for her.  I like taking:
Molly (back on the job)(forgotten life)

Philip (haunting cries)

Madame sybelle

Dead doxy

rotten belle

nurse(or necropunk)

crooligan x3

basically you know what schemes your opponent is going for, so you can more efficiently deny them while your crooligans run schemes for you. apply punk zombies to enemy face to tie them up and murder stuff.

• Thanks 1

Your core model pool is good enough to work for now. Rogue Necromancy, Belles and Doxies are all really good with Molly. Nurses are flexible and overall they're good, but I think they do less with Molly than they do with most masters. I wouldn't worry about getting Nurses in a hurry unless you wanted a second master.

The first thing you should get your mitts on is all the additional generalist upgrades and Molly's 2 new upgrades from book 5. If you have them, great, if not, you can print them off by photocopying them from the book they come from. In particular you'll be wanting 2 copies of My Little Helper and Haunting Cries (for Phillip and the Nanny) as these do not come from the original wave 1 & 2 releases.

In terms of a crew list to practise with, something like this will give good results:

Firstly, add 4 Soulstones to your Cache so you can run the maximum 7 Soulstone Cache. A big Soulstone cache is important for any summoner, doubly so for Molly since she's usually very aggressive so she might need to use them to stay alive too.

Molly with 7 Cache
Forgotten Life (1), Back On The Job (2), Take Back The Night (1).

Phillip and the Nanny (8)
Haunting Cries (0), My Little Helper (1)

Rogue Necromancy (10)
My Little Helper (1)

Crooligan (4)

Rotten Belle (5)

Rotten Belle (5)

Dead Doxy (6)

Necrotic Machine* (2)

The crew is well rounded and should be capable of scoring most schemes as well as being decent at denying most of them. 

*If you don't own the Necrotic Machine you could swap out a Belle for a Punk Zombie, but I honestly find the Necrotic Machine well worth his minuscule cost. He's worth converting, trading or buying. He's not only the cheapest Minion in the entire game, but he also boosts your entire crews movement and has a super cheeky 1/1/6 damage track with really cute triggers.

• Thanks 1

Also, two quick tips for Molly since you're new to her:

- Remember to apply Black Blood! A lot of your damage comes from the extra damage this provides, so every time a model of yours is hurt, check if your model is within 6" of Molly, and if so, check if an enemy is within 1". The crew I recommend is 100% Horrors so it's easy to remember.

- Use Soulstones early, and frequently. If you've spent 5 or 6 or even all 7 Soulstones by close of turn 2, that's fine; as long as you're summoning all over the place and eating the opponent's crew alive, these are Soulstones well spent. Molly is designed to be aggressive and that's why she wants a big Cache she can burn through to dominate the game quickly.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, hydranixx said:

Your core model pool is good enough to work for now. Rogue Necromancy, Belles and Doxies are all really good with Molly. Nurses are flexible and overall they're good, but I think they do less with Molly than they do with most masters. I wouldn't worry about getting Nurses in a hurry unless you wanted a second master.

The first thing you should get your mitts on is all the additional generalist upgrades and Molly's 2 new upgrades from book 5. If you have them, great, if not, you can print them off by photocopying them from the book they come from. In particular you'll be wanting 2 copies of My Little Helper and Haunting Cries (for Phillip and the Nanny) as these do not come from the original wave 1 & 2 releases.

In terms of a crew list to practise with, something like this will give good results:

Firstly, add 4 Soulstones to your Cache so you can run the maximum 7 Soulstone Cache. A big Soulstone cache is important for any summoner, doubly so for Molly since she's usually very aggressive so she might need to use them to stay alive too.

Molly with 7 Cache
Forgotten Life (1), Back On The Job (2), Take Back The Night (1).

Phillip and the Nanny (8)
Haunting Cries (0), My Little Helper (1)

Rogue Necromancy (10)
My Little Helper (1)

Crooligan (4)

Rotten Belle (5)

Rotten Belle (5)

Dead Doxy (6)

Necrotic Machine* (2)

The crew is well rounded and should be capable of scoring most schemes as well as being decent at denying most of them. 

*If you don't own the Necrotic Machine you could swap out a Belle for a Punk Zombie, but I honestly find the Necrotic Machine well worth his minuscule cost. He's worth converting, trading or buying. He's not only the cheapest Minion in the entire game, but he also boosts your entire crews movement and has a super cheeky 1/1/6 damage track with really cute triggers.

This. People always say bring sybelle with Molly, but far more useful is Mortimer. The infamous mortimer, molly and two rogue necromancy list can be used to great effect.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, catbat07 said:

This. People always say bring sybelle with Molly, but far more useful is Mortimer. The infamous mortimer, molly and two rogue necromancy list can be used to great effect.

Just curious how does Mortimer help Molly compared to Sybelle making hey move a lot faster (or not needing to use AP for moving)?

I figured a dead doxy or kentauoi could be a Sybelle replacement

1 hour ago, wizuriel said:

Just curious how does Mortimer help Molly compared to Sybelle making hey move a lot faster (or not needing to use AP for moving)?

I figured a dead doxy or kentauoi could be a Sybelle replacement

Hire Mortimer and a Crooligan, who deploys the middle of the board somewhere safe with From the Shadows. Mortimer activates early and uses (1) Fresh Meat twice to push all Undead models (Molly is Undead) up to their Wk towards it.

The idea is that your entire crew, except Mortimer, are Undead and have LOS to the Crooligan to get 2 free pushes up the board, which is better than what Sybelle can do and it doesn't even require you to meet any TNs. 

And yes, Kentauroi could replace Sybelle. They'd fulfill Sybelle's job better than Sybelle herself would. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, hydranixx said:

Hire Mortimer and a Crooligan, who deploys the middle of the board somewhere safe with From the Shadows. Mortimer activates early and uses (1) Fresh Meat twice to push all Undead models (Molly is Undead) up to their Wk towards it.

The idea is that your entire crew, except Mortimer, are Undead and have LOS to the Crooligan to get 2 free pushes up the board, which is better than what Sybelle can do and it doesn't even require you to meet any TNs.

Wouldn't you need have to have a pretty small crew deployed spaciously with relatively little terrain to not have them collide? Or do you deploy them in files spaced apart somehow? Either way it sounds really interesting. I've been considering Mortimer for my McMourning lists but can't sort the collisions since I need McMourning to make most of my models undead.

14 hours ago, hydranixx said:

And yes, Kentauroi could replace Sybelle. They'd fulfill Sybelle's job better than Sybelle herself would. 

Except that doesn't help you much later in the game? Whereas Sybelle can Call Belle and pull Molly our of danger pretty easy. Kentauroi are nice, but very, very squishy. Sybelle will last longer and not be as large a target. They are good though, but I've found they die super fast. 

9 hours ago, Ludvig said:

Wouldn't you need have to have a pretty small crew deployed spaciously with relatively little terrain to not have them collide? Or do you deploy them in files spaced apart somehow? Either way it sounds really interesting. I've been considering Mortimer for my McMourning lists but can't sort the collisions since I need McMourning to make most of my models undead.

Partially, yeah. A Molly crew with Mortimer in it is usually tiny, at least the way I play it. Tends to be either 6 or 7 models, with a good mix of Ht2 & half Ht3 models so LOS to the Crooligan isn't lost as easily after the short models push first. You do end up in a bit of a huddle once you're finished, so if you're against blasters it can seem awful. But, remember, you can just elect not to push all your models. Each is allowed to push but they don't have to push; even if just 2 of your models take the push that's a 2 for 1 so it's good. I haven't had a lot of deployment issues. 

3 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

Except that doesn't help you much later in the game? Whereas Sybelle can Call Belle and pull Molly our of danger pretty easy. Kentauroi are nice, but very, very squishy. Sybelle will last longer and not be as large a target. They are good though, but I've found they die super fast. 

This is all very true, and I have had success with Sybelle in some of my more mild builds, and in my Spirit Molly builds. She's certainly more flexible when you're concerned with only looking after Molly. 

However I have found that in an aggressive Horror Molly build, every bit of AP efficiency and card efficiency is required. There generally isn't a late game with that kind of build. If the game suits the build, you can get where you need to be by the middle of turn 1, and your crew is capable of deciding the outcome of the game by the end of turn 2, sometimes earlier. 

It's NOT what I'd recommend to a newer player. You can get easily blind sided by all the 'gotcha!' combos and masters out there that you aren't yet familiar with. You're throwing a 10 Wound master deep into their territory at the beginning of the game so you need to know their crew very well. But... it's a very fun and challenging way to play Molly and it can be undeniably effective.

Varney's podcast on s&s helped me refine the idea so all credit to him. I just tried it out and then altered it to my tastes. I'd recommend that podcast to anyone interested in learning more of Molly's options btw!

• Like 1

And yes, Kentauroi die like flies. But they're so good on the one or two turns they're alive that they're well worth it. They provide the only two things that Molly needs to succeed in this type of build; supplemental threat/damage and mobility. They will be dead by turn 2/3 but if you play well you will probably have won the game by then too.