Back in the Saddle

Joel

Hi all,

I'm running 3 masters this year - Zipp, Leveticus and McCabe.  For each of the others I have a thread running on the forums detailing my lists, games, hobby progress, etc.  I had held off on creating one for McCabe as frankly, I didn't know which forum to put it in, and didn't want to duplicate this over on the 10T boards.  

I think I've figured out a way of keeping 2 threads different enough though, so it's time to jump in!

Firstly, I'm coming back to McCabe after a year or so away, so the basics of how I play him are fairly well established in my head, but there are new models and new tricks to try.

Secondly, I am carrying all models needed for all my masters in one small bag - which means I have to make some tough choices about which models make the cut.  This is being done as I am flipping masters randomly in casual games and so could be playing any of them on the fly.  This means my games with McCabe may be sporadic or may be clustered - but when I take him to events he'll get a good run of games there.

So, the current pool of models I'm starting with are as follows:

McCabe (and dismounted, obviously)

Luna

guild hounds

peacekeeper

hunters

pale rider

Allison Dade (new addition - as yet untested)

Freikorps Trapper

Strongarm Suit

Ryle

Ronin

Burt Jebsen

Gracie

pathfinder and traps

brutal emissary

the judge

models I'm considering but not yet in the bag:

death marshalls

wastrels

Hobby:

I've rebased all of my old models and repainted the peacekeeper from scratch - I need to repaint my hunters next and to build and undercoat Allison Dade as she arrived at my place only yesterday.  

Games:

so far, very few as guild, but here's what I ran last time:

Mccabe (promises, glowing sabre, badge of speed)

luna

4 guild hounds

2 hunters

peacekeeper (debt)

I was facing Jack Daw in  standard deployment extraction.  I took frame for murder on a hunter and claim jump.

I lost the peacekeeper early to RJ damage, got the wrong hunter killed by montressor turn 1 too - but managed to pull it together for a 7-5 win. Mccabe getting off his horse at the right tactical moment swinging the game back in my favour.

as I do more with guild mccabe, I'll add to this thread, but right now I am most excited to try out Allison Dade who I believe can open up a whole new mccabe playstyle.

Joel

• Like 2

Following this with great interest! Sounds like a mean list of models.

How tight is space? A single marshal sounds like something I would really like to have in my bag. I don't think I need to tell you what a wastrel can do with the saber, the question is if it's worth the space since you seem to have really solid beaters and might be more interested in other functions.

11 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

Following this with great interest! Sounds like a mean list of models.

How tight is space? A single marshal sounds like something I would really like to have in my bag. I don't think I need to tell you what a wastrel can do with the saber, the question is if it's worth the space since you seem to have really solid beaters and might be more interested in other functions.

space is pretty tight, but I could probably squeeze a model or two more in.  The death marshall has been a keystone of my previous McCabe lists, so it might be nice to get one back in - I'll have to see what I can do.

I'm considering trying to find room for austringers too, but I'm not sure what I could do with them that I haven't already.

While reactivating a nimble austringer is pretty darn great sometimes I think McCabe is a master who has enough scheme capacity to not need their deliver orders action. The double-discard when you luck out and topdeck or cheat masks can be really absurd and card advantage is a big thing so they are always a consideration. I like it even more with autokill triggers though and you don't seem to have room for an executioner. You could see it as a fun challenge to do without any austringers. 

• Like 1

*winces at the inclusion of Ryle anywhere near a McCabe list* My McCabe likes to get into combat, so having the Df4 soft target outside of the Df7 or 9 melee has never ended well.

Like @trikk I have been frequently underwhelmed by hunters, but then I get far more work out of wardens than their card indicates (saber wardens are fun!), so it balances out.

Hunters usually go early and slow stuff without pulling it in when I play. Unless it's headhunter, then I pull 'em in for Francisco flurries or something. The push isalso great inheadhunter aince you can get ready to take a head next turn. They don't last long if someone wants to get rid of them though.

Ryle with nimble and/or regen has been fun for me on several occasions. If they can only attack df without ignoring armor he can be a real pain and he loves the :+fate to his ml. If they can ignore armor the (0) heal + regen can make people despair too.

5 hours ago, trikk said:

Its funny how I see a lot of people from the UK get mileage from Hunters while I can`t ever make them do anything and they die to weird damage flips (double neg severes and stuff like that).

What do you value in the hunters so much?

Hunters are a great 7ss minion, comparable to illuminated in neverborn.  I find that they can do enough damage, mess with position enough, and hold ground well enough to get the job done

Right, Allison Dade built and based, and I've found room in the case for an executioner and some death marshalls - that'll give me some extra options going forward.  I'm going to test Allison out today, so I'll report back this evening 

• Like 4

So, game played!

extraction, standard deployment vs ten thunders

the scheme pool was:

claim jump

eliminate leadership

covert breakthrough

frame for murder

accusation

The crew I went with was:

mccabe (sabre, speed, promises), 6ss

luna

judge (unrelenting leader)

allison Dade 

executioner (ready to work)

3 guild hounds

I  chose accusation and frame for murder on the executioner. 

My opponent went with:

misaki (stalking, recalled, equality)

shang

Sensei yu (pushing upgrade)

yasanori

2 monk of low river

10t bro

shadow effigy

he selected eliminate leadership and claim jump.

Turn one saw misaki take a huge chunk out of the judge before getting to an unchargeable safe spot.  I sent the executioner into yasanori chopping 7wds off and hoping for initiative...

...which I didn't get. Yasanori took the executioner off the board, handing me 2vps.

misaki finished of the judge too. By this time though, Allison and the dogs were in position and I was able to hand out slow all over the place and killing Shang. The dogs accused things ("bad human!"), and one charged the shadow effigy who had dropped a scheme marker, killing that too. We both score extraction and I move the marker.

Turn 3 saw McCabe unhorsed (and eliminate revealed) by misaki, and yasanori kill a dog to get into position to charge McCabe. Accusation went fine again but my opponent got claim jump down.  Allison wounded a few things and handed out more slow - now that she was fast it went easier.  We both score extraction and I move the marker.

turn 4, misaki is slow, and fails to kill McCabe as a result.  Good flipping also prevents yasanori killing him. Accusation is scored again.  Fast Allison finished off misaki.  We both score extraction and I move the marker once more.

i win initiative  in the final turn - allowing Allison to kill 10t bro, yasanori and take 5wds off sensei yu and make him slow - meaning nothing could kill McCabe and he couldn't score extraction 

game ended 9-6 to me

• Like 3

I didn't need to Wp vs yasanori - I'd chucked her the glowing sabre in full expectation of McCabe being dead from a yasanori charge. She did 3wds to him ignoring armour to finish him off (double crit strike)

tbh, didn't use her auras all game...

She then hit moderate damage against the 10t bro and sensei yu, 5dmg each time due to no scheme markers to remove.  This killed the 10t bro who was on 5wds left due to dog attack.

i didn't lose judge/executioner for nothing - they gained me 3vps between them - 2ffm and judge accused misaki before dying.  They also kept the big hitters off the rest of the crew while I set up - they weren't important to the plan. 

Agsinst 5 attack misaki + yasanori things were always going to die, I just needed to control what.

• Like 4

It helped out there for sure, but I can see her in other roles with other guild masters.  In this game I was playing her in a particular way - with justice (for example) she'd be assuring J never died and could be thrown in freely. 

Got another game in yesterday:

collect the bounty, standard 

claim jump

accusation

leave your mark

set up

quick murder

i chose this list:

mccabe (promises, sabre, speed)

luna

4 guild hounds

brutal effigy

judge (unrelenting, debt)

allidon dade (debt)

my opponent fielded:

justice (office, last stand)

judge (numb, debt)

frank (wade, hermanos)

executioner (ready)

field reporter

brutal effigy

thrall

i chose quick murder on thrall and leave your mark. He chose quick murder on judge and accusation.

feedback:  Dade with debt is nuts - with the dogs in position (easy with McCabe pushes) and no scheme markers, she was able to take out the thrall in 2 attacks start of turn 2.

the dogs got an easy 3vp too from leave your mark.  I drew collect 3 turns, but gave it up twice - my opponent got one accusation and 2 for quick murder. 

Finsl score: 6-5 to me

• Like 1

we played it that it didn't add to the scheme marker damage, but I'm not sure - the feeling at the club is that it probably did add, but we played it safe.  she still took down the thrall super-fast.

yep, I've checked the faq this morning and we played it right - it doesn't add (point 72 of the faq).

flipping moderate, with debt, means 6dmg a strike, while handing out slow.  If she is already fast, then this can cripple/kill several mdoels or terminate a big one.  In the game last night I hit moderate twice - 12 wds done.

Needing hounds isn't a big ask when running McCabe as you tend to have several by default - the pathfinder is also a guardsman with from the shadows who can be of use too.